Tips on how to win ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

regalic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

First a little bit why you should listen to my post.

I exclusively play ARAM. I have a 63% win rate in ARAM. Since Oct 14 when i started using lolreplay to keep track of my wins and losses I have played 268 ARAM games and have won 169.

I don't have an ARAM account, I play with my account that I played on for the past 2 years and have many champs that a considered bad for ARAM.

I don't dodge. Well to qualify that I don't dodge unless my ARAM partner ends up not in the game or on the other team.

Don't play against 5 man premades. They will be on skype (or similar programs) and will most likely destroy you if your with 5 random people.

There are 5 things that are almost essential to winning an ARAM.

1st WotA should be the first main item an AP champ should buy. It helps every champ, but one, in some way. The sustain for your team will be much more beneficial then gaining a little bit more AP.

2nd Aegis of the Legion/Runic Bulwark how can you go wrong with defensive items that also boost the defense of your more damage focused teammates.

3rd AD carry, nothing shuts your team down more then when the opposing team. Having 5 AP champs works well until they build up enough MR and health to handle the burst and then they can role up to your nexus and win.

4th Frozen Heart, on the flip side of #3 you have a 20% attack speed reduction aura that will kill the damage of anyone who relies on attack speed, that annoying Teemo, AD carries, Jax.

5th Another WotA. Auras stack on the 2 people that are holding the item, so having 2 Wota's is a great thing for your AP champs. More AP, check. More spell vamp, check. If someone dies everyone else still gets the benefit of the other one. Wins all around.

Some other things I have noted that work well on Murder Bridge.

If you dont have a good champ for ARAM or you are playing a champ you are not good with, go tanky.

Start with regen, chalice is an amazing item to start with. The health regen in defensive tree is great.

CDR will provide a much larger damage boost then building straight AP items. (one reason why chalice is such a good starting item)

Post any strategies that you have used to help win your ARAM games.

Aametherar

12-22-2012

Within the first paragraph you mentioned 2 situations in which you dodge games =/

w2b ARAM matchmaking.

regalic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
Within the first paragraph you mentioned 2 situations in which you dodge games =/

w2b ARAM matchmaking.
With MM I would sign up for duo que at the start.

I don't dodge for champ's or team comp reasons.

Sometimes you join a game and the captain starts before you realize you are not on the same team as the person sitting right next to you. Those are the games I dodge.

Hakari L

12-22-2012

Almost all ap champions should start chalice and there are few exceptions:
Yi, yi doesn't need the regen, start with damage items
AP Kog/ Karthus/ Blitz can start tears.
some can start with catalyst
NON-exceptions, these champions should also start chalice: Sona/Soraka/Nami/Janna/Alistar/Anivia/Nid/zyra
===========================================
many champions don't have to start boots, or even never get boots at all:
noo-boots start: Nid, Sona, Soraka, Nami, Ziggs
possibly no boots at all: all tanks except Singed, Mundo, Alistar and Galio. Lux, Nid, Taric, Xerath, MF
build support as carries, not supports:
sona: 40% CDR+ AP + litch bane
Soraka: 40% CDR bruiser/AP + litch bane
Taric: AP/AD carry
Lulu: 2.5 AS on-hit with magic pen
Nami: 40% CDR, AP
Alistar: AP assassin/ AD bruiser/full tank
Leona: full tank
Janna: AP poke
AD carries should be built with burst damage in mind over sustained damage. This usually means going damage/crit over attack speed. Carries with on-hit proc skills should start with Sheen for max poke and burst.

innervation

12-23-2012

I have to strongly disagree with the above post. Most of the champions on that "NON-exceptions" list should start tear + mana manipulator - Sona most of all. Alistar/Zyra/Soraka can stay on that list though.

Also, building supports as supports is extremely effective in many comps, and against many comps. For instance, if you're Lulu with two tanky dps on your team (I just had this happen last week as Lulu paired with Warwick and Riven) - They don't need you to rush 125 AP. Get a shard of true ice, and let those bruisers go chase down ranged people. Now if enemy comp was 5 melee, yes, your Lulu should be AP or tank.

The bottom line is, if you see SR type situations cropping up in your ARAM (2 bruisers for you, 2 carries for them) (2 bruisers for them, you have 2 carries to protect). Absolutely play your support champ full support - the results are fantastic.

Agree on ADC starting sheen though. If you are absolutely terrified of starting chalice or tear on them (and you shouldn't be!), sheen is a solid alternative (esp if someone on your team gets a mana manip).

ihaveapotion

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakari L View Post
Almost all ap champions should start chalice and there are few exceptions:
Yi, yi doesn't need the regen, start with damage items
AP Kog/ Karthus/ Blitz can start tears.
some can start with catalyst
NON-exceptions, these champions should also start chalice: Sona/Soraka/Nami/Janna/Alistar/Anivia/Nid/zyra
many champions don't have to start boots, or even never get boots at all:
noo-boots start: Nid, Sona, Soraka, Nami, Ziggs
possibly no boots at all: all tanks except Singed, Mundo, Alistar and Galio. Lux, Nid, Taric, Xerath, MF
build support as carries, not supports:
sona: 40% CDR+ AP + litch bane
Soraka: 40% CDR bruiser/AP + litch bane
Taric: AP/AD carry
Lulu: 2.5 AS on-hit with magic pen
Nami: 40% CDR, AP
Alistar: AP assassin/ AD bruiser/full tank
Leona: full tank
Janna: AP poke
AD carries should be built with burst damage in mind over sustained damage. This usually means going damage/crit over attack speed. Carries with on-hit proc skills should start with Sheen for max poke and burst.
some champs shouldnt take either tears or chalice but codex so you can rush morellonomicon.
examples of these are ziggs, fiddle and gragas.

the lower your cdr the better, and ziggs should start with barrier+clarity anyway.
on fiddle you will very rarely have mana problems, since your job is to decimate the enemy team and then suicide to buy items anyway.
gragas has his W.

oh and please dont build taric glass cannon ap, build him fulltank, believe it or not, walking around with W up and bulwark on a nearly unkillable taric is of more use than the theoretical damage you can burst, he's not a sion, you ruin his utility with that and will 100% surely be smashed right after you pop your R-W.

Hakari L

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveapotion View Post
some champs shouldnt take either tears or chalice but codex so you can rush morellonomicon.
examples of these are ziggs, fiddle and gragas.

the lower your cdr the better, and ziggs should start with barrier+clarity anyway.
on fiddle you will very rarely have mana problems, since your job is to decimate the enemy team and then suicide to buy items anyway.
gragas has his W.

oh and please dont build taric glass cannon ap, build him fulltank, believe it or not, walking around with W up and bulwark on a nearly unkillable taric is of more use than the theoretical damage you can burst, he's not a sion, you ruin his utility with that and will 100% surely be smashed right after you pop your R-W.
ziggs can go with clarity. But without clarity chalice is a good item. I don't play fiddle or gragas.

tank taric is good too, taric can be built into anything.

Quote:
I have to strongly disagree with the above post. Most of the champions on that "NON-exceptions" list should start tear + mana manipulator - Sona most of all. Alistar/Zyra/Soraka can stay on that list though.

Also, building supports as supports is extremely effective in many comps, and against many comps. For instance, if you're Lulu with two tanky dps on your team (I just had this happen last week as Lulu paired with Warwick and Riven) - They don't need you to rush 125 AP. Get a shard of true ice, and let those bruisers go chase down ranged people. Now if enemy comp was 5 melee, yes, your Lulu should be AP or tank.

The bottom line is, if you see SR type situations cropping up in your ARAM (2 bruisers for you, 2 carries for them) (2 bruisers for them, you have 2 carries to protect). Absolutely play your support champ full support - the results are fantastic.

Agree on ADC starting sheen though. If you are absolutely terrified of starting chalice or tear on them (and you shouldn't be!), sheen is a solid alternative (esp if someone on your team gets a mana manip).
I find sona one of the more mana hungry champions so I even start chalice + 2x those mana regen things. I usually don't get mana manipulator because it doesn't build into ap items. It can be useful when someone else on your team is mana hungry like Anivia.
I played a game with anivia with chalice and more regen, and someone else on my team had mana manipulator. I just had my ulti right on top of their tower for like a good 3 minutes and the other team couldn't do anything about it it was pretty funny.
I also don't like tear unless you absolutely need the mana like AP Kog, or if you can charge it super fast and isn't mana hungry like Karthus. Champions like Alistar and sona it just doesn't have enough regen. As for zyra, she doesn't charge it very fast so I don't get it on her either. Note that Calice also has some MR which is good against most pokes as well.

innervation

12-23-2012

Well the core of the tear versus chalice question is this. Do I want to get both? If yes, then get the tear first - you're looking at 100-250 free charges before you die. Or more. Next question: If I start tear, will I have enough mana regen? If no, that's when you go for mm and maybe even potions to tide you over until you die and buy chalice. It's just more efficient to start charging the tear early.

It would have to be a super mage heavy team on the other side to make chalice more worth it than tear if you're planning on having both.

regalic

12-23-2012

I find tear to be very lackluster on almost all champions unless your going to be upgrading it into a muramana or you are going to build more mana items on top of it and upgrading it to an archangel staff..

Frequently you will be OOM at the beginning of the game as you spam your abilities to build it up and the shield while it is nice having it late game, think of all the extra damage you took not having that MR from the start.

Never tried the codex start, but for some champs i could see the early CDR would be very nice.

regalic

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervation View Post
Well the core of the tear versus chalice question is this. Do I want to get both? If yes, then get the tear first - you're looking at 100-250 free charges before you die. Or more. Next question: If I start tear, will I have enough mana regen? If no, that's when you go for mm and maybe even potions to tide you over until you die and buy chalice. It's just more efficient to start charging the tear early.

It would have to be a super mage heavy team on the other side to make chalice more worth it than tear if you're planning on having both.
What champions do you find that you need a tear and a chalice. The ones I am thinking of i normally go RoA after the chalice. I could see going tear RoA then chalice and upgrading the tear next on a few.