Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Please explain to me how Riven nerfs are fair.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Imaginable

01-11-2013

Everytime I've watched a Dyrus stream and he plays Riven he will say "Riven is STILL broken, more broken than her sword." Honestly, everyone saw this coming. Did they hit her too hard? Yeah sure, maybe. But maybe instead of that "FULL AD NOTHING ELSE!" build you go for, maybe try a different build for one? I know, mind = blown.

Compare these nerfs to the nerfs Urgot got originally. Urgot was COMPLETELY useless. With this, sure you have to change your play style, but you can still snowball top if you are actually good with Riven.

WalkingCrypt

01-11-2013

I do not see why having lower hp5 makes really that much of a difference i understand the ulti being increased in time makes a pretty big difference but still that just makes here harder to play its not like she is completly useless.

Akuen

01-11-2013

Quote:
I do not see why having lower hp5 makes really that much of a difference i understand the ulti being increased in time makes a pretty big difference but still that just makes here harder to play its not like she is completly useless.

Exactly. These nerfs weren't like the Eve nerfs. They're not destroying the champion, they're bringing her back onto par with what she should be. Currently, Riven is the Eddie of League.

Worlds Smu Giest

01-12-2013

Quote:
WalkingCrypt:

The Issue with Riven top lane anyway is the recovery from early harass, until level 3, there are alot of champions that can just harass her completely out of lane when you trade unless you did something like the ridiculously safe lane riven starting Dorans sheild/clotharmor 5 pots and valor.

A good riven against the right opponent, will try to start trades at level 1 and more then likely win the engagement. There are very few champs she can not trade well with early, Rengar, kha zix, and I would Argue a Full crit Gangplank if he's lucky. Vi also is much stronger in lane at around level 3 just because her combo starts kicking in much faster and harder then riven's.

What people don't understand is to be a good riven you have to literally learn how to dodge attacks with your abilities, and that's very hard to do, Knowing what direction to move with your combo, jumping behind your enemy stunning them, abusing the AA timer animations, and knowing when to disengage for counter harass. She has no sustain except for items she has to buy and buy early, either dorans blade or long sword two pots if this nerf comes live. In theory you could do double golems and buy a rejuvenation bead thingy with a long sword, but this still means you're not in lane for a while and missing out on a kill or level gap.

I can't say whether or not i'm a good riven, I'd like to believe I am. I've beaten Teemos, I've beaten Garen early game, I've smashed Darius, I've Killed Singed in mid game, I've beaten Nidlee's in chase(swift boots and full combo's), I've Fought engagements 1v2-3 and sometimes 4 and come out winning more or less, I've played Midlane with her and beaten people, i've played her bot lane and won against Dravens, ezreals, and blitzcranks.

In the hands of the best players She may be very strong, but, she's doesn't need to be messed with. Not many people play her or play her well. her skill cap is medium to high. She can be learned fairly quickly because her kit is simple.

As to the particulars of this nerf however, I'm going to just go on a hunch but the reason her ult cd is increasing is because with an early brutalizer or Ionian boots(cdr) people were ulting every 45-50 seconds or so in lane(note this is far more then any other top laner including Cho'Gath at 60 base), The Buff on valor and nerf to her Regen is because they don't want people to start rushing cleaver to win, making Valor more critical of a skill in her kit to master for trading and absorbing counter harass. As most Riven players know if you get hurt in harass you sit back and hit some minions till you are ready to trade again. So what is going on, is they are trying to force more of the recommended build into your starting play by getting a vampiric scepter or starting Dorans blade.

X74

01-12-2013

Quote:
CrayCraybby:
Everytime I've watched a Dyrus stream and he plays Riven he will say "Riven is STILL broken, more broken than her sword." Honestly, everyone saw this coming. Did they hit her too hard? Yeah sure, maybe. But maybe instead of that "FULL AD NOTHING ELSE!" build you go for, maybe try a different build for one? I know, mind = blown.

Compare these nerfs to the nerfs Urgot got originally. Urgot was COMPLETELY useless. With this, sure you have to change your play style, but you can still snowball top if you are actually good with Riven.

Do you take everything Dyrus says as fact even when the devs of the game basically disagree with him? Last I checked the fact that he's a professional player, and one who puts himself on quite a larger pedestal than necessary doesn't mean he has any clue when it comes to champion balance. Skill in a game doesn't grant knowledge of the deeper functions of the game, including balance. I've seen players in gold elo and over complaining about "OP champions" that are pretty far from OP. Dyrus doesn't necessarily have to be any different.

Akuen

01-12-2013

Quote:
Do you take everything Dyrus says as fact

No. However, when it comes to Riven, he's right. I've played her quite a bit and she is exceptionally broken.

X74

01-12-2013

Quote:
Akuen:
No. However, when it comes to Riven, he's right. I've played her quite a bit and she is exceptionally broken.

I see no records of you ever playing her here.
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/35081876#profile

As opposed to me, somebody who has actually played her a lot to the point of getting good with her and understanding her ups and downs and why she shouldn't be messed with:
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/32024402#profile

Despite this though, I have a very long list of games that didn't turn out so well. If she's as "exceptionally broken" as you say I don't think those games would have ever happened the way they did.

Akuen

01-12-2013

Quote:
I see no records of you ever playing her here.

I've played her heaps in blinds. There are some games you just can't carry, I know that feel. Doesn't mean she's not broken.

Napune

01-12-2013

Riven is a solo-que champion.. You very rarely see her used in tournaments because of the fact she falls off so hard compared to other more powerful toplaners.

If these nerfs go live it's possible she'll just be abandoned.

Akuen

01-13-2013

Quote:
Riven is a solo-que champion

She's a soloqueue champion because she doesn't really contribute much to a team aside from ridiculous amounts of damage. She's not currently weak in any way, shape or form. She needs a nerf desperately. The reason she needs a nerf is because she can snowball to the stage where the game is over in 20 minutes and she can do this very easily.