Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

An unknown directx error has occurred.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I start League of Legends, get into a lobby with a friend, and go to join a game. Select characters, lock in, and then the game starts - and then, just before the loading screen, the game crashes and this error comes up:

"An unknown directx error has occurred. Please make sure your video card supports shader model 2.0 and that it is using drivers from the manufacture."

It is, as far as I can tell, the same kind of problem here:

Except, I feel like none of those solutions will help me. You see, not just a few hours ago, I was on League of Legends with the same friend, we were playing on eachothers accounts, and we got into a game. My friend started experiencing internet troubles, while on my account, and wasn't able to get back in in time before it ended - so I have the leaver penalty from that - But I on my friends account was able to play fine. After the game ended, I got back on my own account, but decided not to continue playing for the moment, and I took a break.

Then, just a little while ago, we decided to get back on. My friend got on their account, and I got on mine - no problems there. And then the lobby, character select, lock in, game tries to go to the loading screen, and then I get that error. And each time I tried to reconnect to the game I get the same problem.

This was not happening less than a few hours ago - and I did not change /anything/ on my computer or LoL settings.

Why is this happening?
I'd really like to avoid being banned because of this ridiculousness.

Edit: So! I restarted my computer. And then I checked to make sure I could get into a solo custom game - I could. Then I tried a normal matchmade game. Also worked without crashing. Don't know why, or what the problem was, but there you go.