Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why am i so bad at league of legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Th3onlyMan

12-20-2012

Hi i'm not new or anything to league, i've been playing for about a year now and still suck. I've tried champions far and wide, but no matter what i do i still do very bad with them. I'm not sure if this is because of what champions im playing, or that i just suck, but i need some advice. To start off i'll give you the top three champions i play. Darius,Singed,and Teemo. They're pretty op champs, but i still am bad at them. After playing league for a year i'm not sure why im still so bad at the game, and it feels as if my skill level has not progressed at all. Some helpful feedback would be nice ty.

zturk

12-20-2012

I found the best thing to do to get better is to watch streams, and not just any stream. Pick a stream of a player that plays the position you want learn. For instance if you want to get better at mid, Scarra is a great player to watch. If streams don't get it done for you, read as many guides over your champs as possible, this way you can realize that champions have many different play styles and builds. and finally PRACTICE. get a group of friends and play in house, set up different scenarios so you are never surprised in a real game. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope this helps

Afael

12-20-2012

I would also suggest watching streams. I personally find TiensiNoAkuma's stream very helpful. He comments a lot on what he and other people are doing, something I haven't seen that often in other streams. Just knowledge of mechanics is useful, regardless of champion and role you are playing.
When I first played PvP I was terrible. Then, I started trying to analyze what is happening and what is the best move to do. Harass, farm, zone, thinking about whether it is the right time to trade or not and all that.
As for the champion, try to go with safe champion that can fill a few roles if needed. If you play top a lot, grab someone who has a lot of sustain or is hard to kill. For example, Shen. He is hard to kill, has a good escape/engage skill, some sustain and massive team utility - the reason he is permanently banned in most ELO ranges. Gangplank can be another choice, since he has a very good poke potential, steroid for his team, built-in Cleanse and global ultimate that can assist any fight going on the map. In addition, he can be built into bruiser or a carry, depending on what your team needs and what enemy team composition is. Champions you are playing at the moment are good, but if they are shut down early, they will fall off.
I.E. Play someone who will be useful even if put into a bad spot.

Im rather a low-skilled player myself, so I hope that helps.

BigNoob

12-20-2012

dude, ur bad at them cuz they are not good champs maybe? stop blaming urself... blame the hero. u said u spent a year? mastering these heroes? at my level it took me half a month to master league. it was easy. u gotta look at ur feedback and respond to it, not ignore it. u have to extrapolate what it means.

here is some help, watch my video on akali, one of the most op heroes in league in my opinion. and to tell u what happens i go 15-4 while my team goes 10- some twenty deaths together. i get this result almost every game that i pwn with akali all the time everytime almost. like by pwn i mean i get an average of 20 kills per game with 10 deaths. ok so 10 deaths is a lot but 20 kills is a lot too. and akali is easily killed which is why i think xin is even easier than akali. anyways watch my video on her and deciede if shes worth playing urself. also i pretty much teach u how to play her in this video too, so it should be easy. goodluck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3miXVOxoSI

PracticalPotato

12-20-2012

Ignore Bignoob and anyone who tells you a certain champ is OP and will always make you win. Getting rid of that is the reason we have patches.

There are some champions that are not currently very powerful, but there are no OP champions. There will never be a champion that you can pick and everything will be better. If it was that easy, why doesn't everyone win all the time?

That said, find the champion whose playstyle really fits you, then branch out..

As for improving your game, streams and guides are valuable to see what the skilled players are doing, but to improve personally, you need to know what's wrong. I recommend downloading LoLReplay. This program records your League games. Watch yourself play. What are you doing wrong?

Havenbrook

12-20-2012

I used to get really frustrated when i did poorly. Watch recent YouTube guides on the champ you want to play. Also follow these rules

1 DO NOT CHASE!!
2 know when to back off and recall.
3 be patient.
4 watch the map, avoid ambushes if enemy disappears by going some where safe.

Following the rules listed helps me get 10+ kills with 3 max deaths. As a team player, i would rather my ally recall or run, instead of dying. As I'm sure dying repeatedly only makes it harder to win.

Ruka Urushibara

12-20-2012

Practice those last hits. It's the one thing you can practice that isn't dependant on another person, although managing it with a lane opponent is another thing.

acosn

12-20-2012

Quote:
Th3onlyMan:
Hi i'm not new or anything to league, i've been playing for about a year now and still suck. I've tried champions far and wide, but no matter what i do i still do very bad with them. I'm not sure if this is because of what champions im playing, or that i just suck, but i need some advice. To start off i'll give you the top three champions i play. Darius,Singed,and Teemo. They're pretty op champs, but i still am bad at them. After playing league for a year i'm not sure why im still so bad at the game, and it feels as if my skill level has not progressed at all. Some helpful feedback would be nice ty.

"OP" isn't really an accurate phrase. If you haven't been playing that long, you never saw Ezrael when he first came out, or Twisted Fate when Gate was still an ability for him, Or heimerdinger when his rockets would stack up on a player when the cap for rockets fired couldn't be filled, or the Vlad / MF / Sona crux where you'd ban them or see them picked every single game. There really isn't anyone outrageously broken at the moment.

What you rattled off was three champions who have picks and counter picks, just like everyone else in the game. Darius is a good anti-soak, Singed is a soak / imitator, and teemo's a fantastic skirmisher, but they each have flaws which, when played against properly, are easy to exploit. When people ask me who I'm good with I can give a pretty diverse list, and if I had the gumption, I'd grind out ELO but I wouldn't put up with five fantastic games just to get one where I fundamentally can't win because someone left and Riot throws you under the bus because of it, but I digress.

You're better off being able to play a lot of characters, and only mastering one or two. The fact that the game is balanced around picks and counter picks heavily endorses that because you can be bad with a character and still carry yourself on the strength of your match up.

Your second mistake is equating time invested as skill returned. League isn't a game you can grind to get better at, even if it's an MMO. There's a fairly low skill cap because it's a team game. I mean, there's having good instincts, and for some roles it's absolutely critical, but for the most part your ability to mesh well with your team trumps any amount of personal skill. Unlike DOTA2, this game makes winning as a single player extremely difficult for a reason.

So really my advice is two-fold;

1: Get a regular team together.

2: Watch videos.

Judas Priest

12-21-2012

You must preserv yourself. Each time you die, even if you score a kill too, the game becomes much more difficult for you and for your entire team. It's more important to stay alive than to kill opponents.

Stay alive, farm, build properly and wait for them to make a mistake: turret dive, over extend in lane without wards, initiate being outnumbered etc... be patient, play defensively and don't ruin your own game.

Engrish

12-21-2012

If you don't already, read guides (mobafire.com or solomid.net) and try to follow most of the things they say. Watch streams or youtube videos. Personally, I like to watch Colbycheeze (for entertainment) and Stonewall008 (for jungling tips). I recently started watch TPA Toyz when he streams at 1am EST (because he lives in Taiwan). Toyz wins mid lane nearly every time and you can see his fast reaction times by using smartcast.

Learn to attackmove and kite.

Buy wards wards wards... or sightstone.

Always watch the map. Remember that your opponents also have thoughts so try to anticipate their moves. Play mind games. Even supports can be useful. For example, when I support Nunu I always try to throw the first iceball in lane to show who's boss. Then run in and out of the bush just to distract them. If they lose concentration on CS'ing or on your adc for 0.5 seconds then that's a success. Generally on bottom lane, if you hit level 2 before the enemy you have a SIGNIFICANT advantage because you have a total of 4 abilities (adc+support) vs their 2 abilities and you can win a duel 90% of the time. Generally people's first 2 abilities are their main offensive and main defensive ones so you also have the option to disengage if things go sour.

If you want to win in solo queue try to master top, mid, or jungle because those lanes can carry games.

Never never never chase like a monkey.