How to Play top lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Earl of Madness

12-18-2012

I want to get better at top and i love playing top when I get the chance. The main issue i have is that I don't get to play top often and other than Cho Gath i can't do well top lane at all. I don't understand the mechanics of top. I play riven and usually for the first 3 levels i win every exchange and i pick as many fights as possible to push them out early.

Usually though i get level 2 or 3 ganked and it ruins the momentum i built up and once riven loses momentum she is done. In lanes where enemy jungle presence is either late or minimal i win the lane and usually go on to do very well in the game. Most games though and understandably so unless im playing cho the enemy jungler will put the enemy laner on top even if they don't kill me they take so much out of me that i have to play passive. This mind you is level 2 or 3 when people don't have wards.

is there any stratagy or way to play top so that the jungler doesn't decide the top lane as much for me because right now its so frustrating that the jungler pretty much sets the pace for the lane and i would like to have that not be the case. This is early on btw after my first back i buy a great deal of wards and ward up regardless of if i'm winning or losing. I play cho gath well because i don't try to get into exchanges i know that however with champions such as riven or darus they thrive on exhanging damage with their enemy.

PsychoticTroll

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

According to the first two paragraphs buy atleast 1-2 wards everytime you go back to lane and place in very end of brush, tri brush and the are near baron pit.

hes op

12-18-2012

start with a ward. Chogath is op

AlphariusRising

12-18-2012

Play Darius
Feed first blood
Still outtrade 90% of lane opponents.
jiji.

EyeMtheStron9est

12-18-2012

One of the most important things to figure out is how every champion that is picked for the position of 'Jungler' plays. Are they Lee Sin? If so, they will most likely gank top while you are STILL level one. Shaco is the same for this.
However, if they are someone who has a weaker gank and they should be going through jungle at a slower pace, then you have a bit more wiggle room.

The best counter to your situation overall would be to try invading if you have the better invade team.
If the enemy jungle is slowed down in his path, he will obviously not gank you at your lower levels.
If you do not have a better invade team, play safe. Try to poke creeps for the last hit and save your spells to escape (such as Riven's Q), as opposed to using it to hit the enemy.

When you get better at the position you will know your limits and how exactly you can play against champions and how to avoid the enemy jungler decimating your lane.

Remember that Top lane is extremely easy to push in one way or the other with any event.

I can tell you how I play, but it's not a great thing to replicate it if you aren't up to that (Overall it's looked down upon even by high elo players and whatnot).

carrotsandbeans

12-18-2012

Don't push, just last hit. Still pick fights and exchange but back up and return to CSing when the fight is ogre. It's KEY to have minions near your turret. This opens the chance for jungle to gank and leaves you free to farm and without worry of as well as leaves plenty of room to chase when you win an exchange hard (If you play riven top this is a good thing as your stun CD should be off CD before he reaches the tower if he is playing a slow champ). Freeze the lane when possible; if you don't know what that is it's when you take minion agro in front of the your turret and wait until the rest of the creeps arrive from base to take agro. Only do this when you have higher health (or use riven's shield) and when he clears your wave before you clear his.

Hope all that helps!

Lykurgus

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticTroll View Post
According to the first two paragraphs buy atleast 1-2 wards everytime you go back to lane and place in very end of brush, tri brush and the are near baron pit.
This. Vision is your friend and can help prevent jungle ganks plenty. Sacrificing a little time to get that extra damage item to prevent your death is well worth it. Also buying more pots, potting in the middle of exchanges can both give you an edge in the fight or save your life when trying to escape.

Bullying your opponent out of lane to deny him farm is a good early strategy, but if you do so too hard, push your lane too far, that's what calls in the early jungle attack before you get some wards out. Focus more on your farm, and short exchanges, keeping the minions in a place where you won't be in a vulnerable position.

Earl of Madness

12-18-2012

I"ll put some more insight onto my playstyle. The playstyle I favor regardless of lane is ones with either A very high sustain and the ability to play passive very early on such as cho'gath, swain, or even to an extent twitch, or the very opposite. Champions that are very agressive and have high kill potential early on. Similar champions that I play that I enjoy playing with that style are Fizz, Kha Zix (jungle), Draven, and Riven. I like that bully style of play. Its how i often outplay bot lane and mid lane as fizz or draven. Top lane though is another beast all together and either the agression wins you the lane very very hard or you lose it very easily because of the jungler as it should be. Also I do buy wards very liberally after my first base back. Just when i first get into lane at the very start at levels 1 or 2 is when i'm cloth 5 pot or boot 3 pot and I end up getting ganked then i'm wondering if i should sacrefice my pots to get a ward at level 1.

Earl of Madness

12-18-2012

Also how does one get the minions to push your own turret when you are trying to last hit and bully your opponent i've done it before as riven and thats how i usually win i just don't know wh at i'm doing to get to that point or in that situation where i win every exchange and harrass them and still have minions push to the tower. I know only last hitting is a part of it what are the other parts to getting this to work. Also please i'm looking for early game insight before levels 5 or 6 because usually by this point the lane is decided in my favor or their favor. If i didn't get ganked before that point when i'm playing riven i usually have the advantage and kill them by level 6. I do ward after my first base back at about 7 minutes after i shove the lane.

Earl of Madness

12-18-2012

Any more ideas or suggestions?