Dr. Mundo - Getting to Know Your Local Physician

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grevane

10-17-2010

Bump for more feedback.

Leyanna

10-17-2010

lol u dont have any idea about playing mundo, read this guide for a good way to play mundo:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...01#post2286101

[EDIT]
Im sry that ive been so rough, but u dont have enough games as mundo to know how to play him the best way

EchoRex

10-17-2010

Ha, kind of interesting the sideline conversation on the skill ranking priorities going on on the previous page.

One of Mundo's core strengths is his innate CC Reduction, and so many people apparently are leveling that skill last in their priorities. What is more interesting on top of that are the people who are leveling Masochism ahead of not only Burning Agony, but Cleaver as well.

Don't get me wrong, Masochism is ridiculously good, it is pretty much two top tier AD items for free, with a spam level cool down.

But it does not scale as well as Cleaver does rank to rank. The damage difference is not nearly as noticeable, especially the scaling portion, comparatively.

I've even been having doubts of putting it at such a priority that it gets maxed well before Burning Agony. This is primarily caused by how without significant Burning Agony reduction, early Merc Treads are near necessitated to help with early CC. That makes Mundo no better off than any other MDPS, but it is one of his primary strengths over other MDPS champions.

Personally, I've been ranking skills as such:
LvL1: {Q}
LvL2: {E}
LvL3: {W}
Then it is: {R} > {Q} > {W} or {E}.

The or is depending on how much specific CC is available, and how spammable or long of duration it is. Spam/Long duration gets Burning Agony to Rank Three ASAP and Masochism being ranked up alternatively after that. No hard CC and/or only spam slows gets two points into Burning Agony before 11, then ignored till 17 and 18.

Its very hard to justify to me excluding or minimizing such a champion defining ability from being ranked when it will do the most good, early and mid game.

Grevane

10-17-2010

I just got told off by a Junior Member...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyanna View Post
lol u dont have any idea about playing mundo, read this guide for a good way to play mundo:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...01#post2286101

[EDIT]
Im sry that ive been so rough, but u dont have enough games as mundo to know how to play him the best way
I'm sorry... but that guide is lacking in a number of areas. It's a decent Mundo build, I'll give you that, but not great. It lacks severely in attack speed and more importantly ArPen/Reduction. It's like taking a tank Mundo (inherently full of fail) and then strapping an Atma's to his forehead and saying he's DPS.

If a build requires an entire runepage of crit runes, that's a bad sign. Yes, he'll be critting a lot early, but you're sacrificing a lot of early game survivability for it. If that Mundo ran into a ranged champ or mage early game, he'd get torn apart. Plus, he starts with boots? Now you've reduced Mundo to a glass cannon for his first 5 levels, forced to spec heavy into the defensive tree (and there by sacrificing experience gain early as well). He tries to remedy this by building as a tank from there on in (Warmog's... *shudder*), with a TON of expensive items (notice how most of the core build items cost more than 3k gold? Do YOU have 15k gold games very frequently?). This build will flat out fail if you don't have the gold to sustain it, which means it only functions in SR, and if the enemy team is dumb enough to feed Mundo early.

My build prefers to have good survivability and damage throughout the match (that's beginning to end) then to have a glass cannon early, and then become an easily ignored tank late game. (especially when all of his damage revolves around his fists... which means if they stack any armor those "550-800 crits" become more like 200-300 crits every 2 seconds... Yeah. Not so great when you consider what the enemy team is doing, right? Oh, and that guy with a Madred's Bloodrazor and an Executioner's Calling (or even more likely Ignite) will be eating that health you stacked like it's not even there, ult or no ult.

So, instead of trolling my guide with baseless insults, maybe you could do your homework. Try reading the guide (it does help to read the whole thing), then actually try to use the guide you think is so awesome (you'll find in practice it doesn't do well except against bots), and then come back and tell me how I don't know anything about Mundo.

Now, maybe we can get some people to give some real feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7 View Post
Ha, kind of interesting the sideline conversation on the skill ranking priorities going on on the previous page.

One of Mundo's core strengths is his innate CC Reduction, and so many people apparently are leveling that skill last in their priorities. What is more interesting on top of that are the people who are leveling Masochism ahead of not only Burning Agony, but Cleaver as well.

Don't get me wrong, Masochism is ridiculously good, it is pretty much two top tier AD items for free, with a spam level cool down.

But it does not scale as well as Cleaver does rank to rank. The damage difference is not nearly as noticeable, especially the scaling portion, comparatively.

I've even been having doubts of putting it at such a priority that it gets maxed well before Burning Agony. This is primarily caused by how without significant Burning Agony reduction, early Merc Treads are near necessitated to help with early CC. That makes Mundo no better off than any other MDPS, but it is one of his primary strengths over other MDPS champions.

Personally, I've been ranking skills as such:
LvL1: {Q}
LvL2: {E}
LvL3: {W}
Then it is: {R} > {Q} > {W} or {E}.

The or is depending on how much specific CC is available, and how spammable or long of duration it is. Spam/Long duration gets Burning Agony to Rank Three ASAP and Masochism being ranked up alternatively after that. No hard CC and/or only spam slows gets two points into Burning Agony before 11, then ignored till 17 and 18.

Its very hard to justify to me excluding or minimizing such a champion defining ability from being ranked when it will do the most good, early and mid game.
Like this guy! Echo7 is exactly right on both counts. Especially with BA, I find it strange that people completely ignore it, or even grab Merc Treads on Mundo (such a waste of gold). Like I said in my guide, if facing ANY CC (stuns prevalently) you want to grab that 1 point into BA at least by level 4 (or level 3 like Echo7 suggests). However, I usually find any other levels unnecessary until later game, when you need to be able to shrug off multiple hits of CC so you can bum-rush that squishy carry sitting at the back of their team.

ZOMGTURTLE

10-17-2010

I've been playing a lot of Mundo lately, and looked close at both echo7's and amcii's Mundo guides, and ended up with a build very similar to yours, Grevane. Much appreciated to know other people are thinking similarly and having success. =)

I almost always start with Regrowth Pendant. From there I try to quickly get SV and boots. If I'm having a good game early, I try to get a Giant's Belt, because Mundo with more health early is just sick and I get to harass the hell outta people. From there I try to get at least a Vamp Scepter (if not Emblem), then either build a Zeal or finish the Stark's. Then PD. This is if everything's going normal and right. I toss in situational items or mix up the build depending on the other team and how I'm doing.

All in all, seems like a great guide, wouldn't change a thing. =)

Drediviros

10-17-2010

To clarify, I get an early point in BA (level 3 usually), but I level it last largely because of its increasing health cost; early on, Mundo doesn't have the luxury to let his HP drain for too long (at rank 5 you're losing 65 per second), especially if you're focusing mainly on DPS items initially.

As for cleaver vs. masochism, I don't know if you can say cleaver scales better; cleaver gains 3% more damage per rank, but masochism gains 15 more per rank plus more damage per HP lost. Putting 5 ranks into cleaver boosts it from 15% to 25%. 5 ranks in masochism gives you 60 more flat damage, a much greater damage boost from HP missing (.4 per missing %HP to 1 per % missing HP). Getting as much as 150 bonus damage early on is huge. Granted, cleaver does big damage too, but you're not firing your cleaver as frequently as you autoattack, especially after some atk speed, or getting bonus damage as your health drops, which it always is since you lose HP per ability usage.

EDIT: Although this kind of depends whether we're talking about SR or TT. On TT masochism for sure, since TT is just gank after gank, but for SR (which I rarely play with Mundo) alternating, or just leveling cleaver first is better, since it's your harassing tool for like 15 minutes.

EchoRex

10-17-2010

The thing with Masochism's scaling per rank, is that early game Mundo's attack speed is atrocious. That extra damage can possibly help, but it won't help as much as the ranged damage/last hit ability from Cleaver. The ranged component is huge, especially with how prevalent escape abilities and ranged champions, incidentally those champions are Mundo's primary target.

And, heh, I think I've gotten as many kills from Cleaver as I have from auto attacks for no other reason than maxing it quickly and the amount of practice as I've had as Mundo or Blitz(Rocket Grab has near identical speed/range).

TT is a different beast, mainly because there are no champions designed with that map in mind. I've won quite a few TT maps without putting a single point into Cleaver all game, but instead taking Flash and Ghost. It is very easy to stay so close range, and the early damage of high rank Masochism combined with the significant CC reduction from high rank Burning Agony.

But on SR, it is a much more tactical fight rather than the running brawl that TT is.

TL;DR: Cleaver's range alone gives it more worth rank to rank than the damage increase alone, which can be significant in and of itself.

ZOMGTURTLE

10-17-2010

I think what's more important about maxing Cleaver first is the increase to minimum damage it can deal, which goes up with every rank. Early on, health pools are low, and level 1 Cleaver doesn't have that high of a minimum damage. Each rank adds quite a bit too that, so by level 5 your rank 3 Cleaver is probably hitting low health targets for 3 times as much as it did at level 1 with 1 rank. Masochism doesn't scale nearly as much as that early.

The 5th Horseman

10-18-2010

This is a great guide. Well rounded for all types of Mundo Players, and useful for players at all ELO levels. I've tried other builds, and for the most part they fall short, either requiring way too much gold to function or are too tanky and useless. Good read, good guide, good stuff.

paij

10-18-2010

Would you say that Magic Resist/lvl is worse than flat magic resist? I assume that flat is better since early game Mundo is susceptible to ganks and what not

1234567 ... 8