Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Radiums

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
I would actually agree with you. Now, everyone is partial to the way they learned, and I learned C first, then C++, then other languages.

C is a terrible language, but it's the school of hard knocks, and it will teach you what you need to know. It will teach you not to take things for granted, and it will teach you how to shoot anything you want, especially your foot. Most importantly, it lets you move onto any other language and be able to make a damn good prediction as to what's happening under the hood of any function call.

And that is just so, so important.
C is actually my favorite language to use :P

Hydraxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
I would actually agree with you. Now, everyone is partial to the way they learned, and I learned C first, then C++, then other languages.

C is a terrible language, but it's the school of hard knocks, and it will teach you what you need to know. It will teach you not to take things for granted, and it will teach you how to shoot anything you want, especially your foot. Most importantly, it lets you move onto any other language and be able to make a damn good prediction as to what's happening under the hood of any function call.

Would agree with this.

I am not aware of anyplace outside of embedded systems/legacy system maintenance where C is still used often in industry today, but if you can understand and program well in C you can do most other things too.

I believe that C -> C++ -> Everything else, or C++ -> everything else is a good way to go.

I personally find C++ to be a good beginning language in that it still has much of the difficulty of C, but it encourages you to think in an Object Oriented way, and since so much programming now is OO, getting stuck thinking in a non OO way (which could happen if you were learning C and didn't have exposure to OO concepts) can really be a tough hurdle to get over. Hard to change the way you think about solving problems once you've done it the same way for years.

DreMLoK

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
You're welcome to apply if you can back that - my preference would be to hire only people better than me
99,9 of human population is now eligible to work at roit.

Tupac the Swaggy

12-20-2012

TL;DR : Riot is a bunch of people who worked extremely hard to get a lower paying job then they should have, and expect people who could be doing amazing things with their lives to join them. No thanks.

Toaru Baka

12-20-2012

Quote:

I'm a C junky (I do linux kernel work for ~20 hours a week though >_>), and I know that I've become a better programmer because of it. You really have to keep track of what you're doing, and how to best make use of your available resources. I can code in other languages, I just like the amount of control and power that I get from C. I'd love a job at Riot, but I don't think you guys need any Linux kernel work done =P

Travanoid

12-20-2012

I just wanted to say thank you to all the Reds that posted in this thread. As a college student on track to graduate with an AA in Game Design this Spring, it was pretty eye-opening. I would really love to work at Riot as a 3D modeler, or honestly, any position I could get into.

In your opinion, should I take out loans to try and get a Bachelor's Degree, or should I spend a couple years creating an awesome portfolio showcasing my work? I'd assume that the portfolio would be more valuable in getting a job, but I'd love to get some insight from those already in the industry.

The Bacon Dragon

12-20-2012

Is there any Rioter that works with character modeling that might be able to give some sound advice at what would stand out when applying for a low level modeling position or even an internship?

What are the boundaries that your teams have to work with to bring champions into the League engine and have their animations work? I think by having a good understanding of the goals set for current champions it'd be a good way for me to push myself. I could either create better 3D character models with the same limitations or create champions that would be on par with the current League champions but have to work with less materials or stricter project limits.

MaruFrozen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I think the OP is right in a certain way. Some jobs would say you're 'overqualified' at 10 years+ exp.

Ron Fendo

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travanoid View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to all the Reds that posted in this thread. As a college student on track to graduate with an AA in Game Design this Spring, it was pretty eye-opening. I would really love to work at Riot as a 3D modeler, or honestly, any position I could get into.

In your opinion, should I take out loans to try and get a Bachelor's Degree, or should I spend a couple years creating an awesome portfolio showcasing my work? I'd assume that the portfolio would be more valuable in getting a job, but I'd love to get some insight from those already in the industry.
Do both =D

Kietsu

12-20-2012

Quote:

I one took a class on Prolog. I would describe it as "Take everything you consider common sense about programming, and toss it out the window."

I am afraid of putting said language on my resume in fear of someone actually wanting me to use it.