Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sproctor

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Like yours? Good question.
Oh geez. Don't feed the trolls, Morello.

catchmeagain

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshysGyfte View Post
So for instance Morello, I have a top rating of 2080 this pre-season, and probably around 5k games played total. But I have no experience, and I honestly don't have the desire to go to college. I had e-mailed Zileas awhile back, and he had mentioned while it was a fantastic credential, it wasn't up to par for most of the positions and I should look into the "gameplay analyst" positions under QA. The only jobs I've had so far are limited to food service, and while that has given me great people skills, it doesn't seem like something that would put me ahead of other applicants.
go to college. even a local community college would be better than nothing. Of course if you're like steve jobs, bill gates type intelligence then nvm but if you were then you wouldn't be in the "food service" industry. and really, if you want to be taken seriously you need to get out of the "food service" industry. Get into something where you might even pick up a shread of knowledge for whatever end position you want to be at. Start now guy because it only gets harder the older you get and then you'll be trapped because more and more people graduate every year so there is no shortage of "educated" workers coming into the market.

QA is like bottom of the barrel in the industry. and it's not just "play games" all the time. its tedious and mind numbing work. Requires knowledge in process and methodology (again, see above paragraph about college)

otherwise, find a pro team to join if you think you're good enough as that would be the only other thing that would get you noticed as you network at tournaments/conferences. Long shot at best though.

Kittyrina

12-19-2012

I'm just amazed that the game industry is still hiring quality people in North America, rather than offshoring all the jobs to cut costs like other tech companies are doing. Only way to get a job at my company for the past few years is if you live in India or China and work for pennies on the dollar.

Dragoon Feld

12-19-2012

See ..im a proud blue collar 11-7 worker. i made a decent wage doing what I do. (about 70k/y) and i never stepped foot into college. and doing this made it so i had no debt my whole life.

Never. once.

college is a scam

dead cat bounce

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
School: "When you get out of here everyone will be at your door step trying to hire you for all the jobs you can Imagine"

Reality: "You believed that shit, LMAO, why the heck would I want you when there are 100 000 people with your schooling and 10+ years of experence"
Kids graduating college, if you believe the above, you're going to have a bad time. I call this the superman syndrome, typical among recent college graduates that are filled with all this academic knowledge fresh in their minds that they feel empowered and ready to save the world or bank 6 digits year one.

Linna Excel

12-19-2012

I feel some of this isn't just riot but the game industry itself, but maybe Morello or someone else can clarify.

1. In general the game industry has high requirements for talent and a lot of people wanting in, so they get a lot of leeway to be picky: if you suck or can't handle it, there are 100 more people who want your job.
2. In general, with failure rates of large titles so high, the industry wants people who've finished a product.
3. In general, the burn out rate in the industry which forces people to leave it (founders of Bioware) is completely disastrous so people want talent that's survived the crash and burn phase and is rather masochistic.
4. In general, the game industry doesn't like to take the time for growing new talent.
5. In general the industry is extremely high pressure, a la you have to keep the people funding you happy as well as all the customers raging over the last nerf.

The two best ways to get in are either QA (you'll likely quit game development for good in 6 months) or getting in on an inde group that actually finishes a popular game (unlikely to happen).

I'd like to be a game dev myself, but the more I learn about it, the less I want to be in it. It's kind of sad, I have what I'd like to think are new and unique ideas (they'd never survive the pitch phase, people want more of the same) but frankly even if they would make money I don't want to go through the heck that is trying to get them to market.

Xenîth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

From what I gathered from the posts. The are quite a few ways to enter at Riot. If you have a degree with a lot of raw ability. They'll probably give you a shot at a entry level.
If you have only lots of experience, a shot at entry level.
If you have a lot of experience and a degree, you have a shot at a higher level.

Once in, Riot will probably shift you around accordingly to your performance and skill set.

All three ways deem fair and still hold true to their motto of "Cream of the crop".

Also, Riot is not the only company that holds flexible hours and benefits for programmers. It's pretty common knowledge to bigger companies that this method brings out more potential.

However, I do like to think that Riot's work environment is just infinitely more awesome than the rest.

Hamish Wyrm

12-19-2012

Highly disagree with the people that have commented saying that High School, College or Education was a waste of time, Or that it isn't important. The majority of people that say this are the ones that did it but didn't do well. If you go to a half decent High School you can get in to a good Uni. If you really try and get in to a good Uni and then get a good result you will find jobs extremely easy. You really need to aim high and get yourself into a good university. I'm talking Oxbridge, Lse, Imperial , Harvard , Kcl. Okay so they are some of the best in the world but still if you get in to Leeds or Birmingham and get a good result you will find a job so much easier and it will be better. Getting good degrees and education open doors for you. Of course there are a few that get to the top of business without education but don't try and hope you're going to be one of them because there aren't many. Seriously try hard in school and then Uni, no i'm not saying you don't have to have a life because you can still have one. But get a good result from a top university and you will have employers queuing for you.

Hamish Wyrm

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Feid View Post
See ..im a proud blue collar 11-7 worker. i made a decent wage doing what I do. (about 70k/y) and i never stepped foot into college. and doing this made it so i had no debt my whole life.

Never. once.

college is a scam
Go and find someone who got two firsts from oxbridge and see if the whole "scam" they've been through leads them to nothing Rofl.

Super Explosion

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
what is the opportunity cost of not having this person at Riot.
Riot teaching a course in management and labor analysis in this thread.

To be honest, I'd rate reading (and understanding) Riot threads as the approximate worth of a couple years of tuition in a management major, among other disciplines.

Really, the only things you'd miss are the group communication exercises and certain terminology.

The former, oddly enough, you can get by just playing League of Legends and leading your team to victory. (The latter, research skills->internet.)