Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Count Swagula

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourescence View Post
Really, what Riot is saying is, why start after you graduate? Start now. Find a moddable game you like, or build a small game yourself and have it gather some feedback. If you really want to design games, why do you need a job to do it?
Yeah I've made some mods and gamemaker games, but nothing too impressive. I guess Ill continue down that path. I dont need a job to design games, but let's be honest....I have to eat somehow. Why wouldnt I want to get paid doing what I like?

Elsea

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Swagula View Post
Yeah I've made some mods and gamemaker games, but nothing too impressive. I guess Ill continue down that path. I dont need a job to design games, but let's be honest....I have to eat somehow. Why wouldnt I want to get paid doing what I like?

It's not that. I don't mean that you shouldn't get a job doing it, it's that if you like it, you shouldn't NEED a job to do it, and because of that, you can start now, and if I misinterpreted something, my apologies.

And yeah, I think you should keep going down that. A lot of people have good concepts, but only few have the passion, perseverance and knowledge to enact it, and I think that's what Riot is looking for. If you want, something that would probably help is to try to get feedback on your little games.

RaptorJesusss

12-18-2012

Riot only hires the best because everyone wants to work at Riot, its the hottest game company in the country at the moment.

Come on now

Elsea

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorJesusss View Post
Riot only hires the best because everyone wants to work at Riot, its the hottest game company in the country at the moment.

Come on now

Indeed, when you have the whole crop to choose from, you're going to choose the cream of the crop.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-18-2012
21 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roidrage22 View Post
Truth
You're welcome to apply if you can back that - my preference would be to hire only people better than me

IS1c5c21a2063c122d01032

12-18-2012

10 years, is a high requirement, but riot is just sooo unprofessional it's not even funny.

I mean riot doesn't even have any idea what to do with their game. For the past 2 years all they did was spam new champions. The comunity suggested tons of awesome new content to make the game more attractive, like voice interactions between specific champions and other stuff. But we saw none of that.

I have this feeling that the people that actually develop stuff make up only 15% of riot's employee count.
Rest is probably marketing.

TheClerk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

what kind of experience do i need to work in the mail room?

KevinDelMarr

12-18-2012

Can anyone give me some insight into free/cheap Mod creators? Thinking about getting into that scene, not sure how it works tbh.

savov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Hey morello do you think there is job at riot for architecture student

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-18-2012
22 of 45 Riot Posts

I'll echo a lot of what's been said here but for art.

Skills are one thing, but its the intangibles that count. Art might be one of those areas where you think, "I can draw pretty pictures! Therefore, job!" but not necesarilly. Let's assume someone comes at the art department with skills, let's say concept art skills. Excellent! Achievement 1 unlocked! Next up..

- What about ideas? Good technique and rendering is great, but without ideas, they're worthless.

- How about design? Skills are good, but unless you are a mindful designer, able to craft something unique, then those skills don't mean much.

- Can you design for our game? This isn't an FPS. This is an RTS, a FAST RTS. That means pretty much everything you're drawing on the front of that guy is pointless. Game context is everything.

- Are you collaborative? You can and must work with countless people, in multiple areas within art, and outside of art, from creative to game design, to marketing and community.

- Can you take feedback? Because HOLY **** are you going to get a lot of it! And guess what? It's a GOOD thing! Taking and giving feedback is a huge component of iteration.

- Can you communicate effectively? Thoughtful and thorough expression of your ideas to others, or in integrating feedback or explaining your process is paramount.

- Are you willing to learn, and are you willing to teach? We need brains. We need to eat brains, and we need to make brains more delicious. From ages 20-40 we're all learning here in concept. No one is the master yet everyone is the master at the same time. We are all perpetual students.

- Can you help others flourish? Helping Seniors be accountable and be the best facilitators they can be, while teaching Associates or Juniors how they can make the best of their skills and grow into leadership is impertative for our professional, personal, and craft growth.

So that's the short list. Anyone I interview gets that treatment and a lot more, from a lot of people. In the end we're investing in people. We're putting down a deposit that we're going to watch and help them grow for the better of the company and the collective group.

From Associate to Manager to Director we're all in this together, supporting eachother around the goal of "what's best for the game and what's best for the players?"

Riot happens to be the only place I've had this much exposure to this many smart people in this many specialized crafts. As to my knowledge there is really no other place that has this type of immersion with so many disciplines working so heavily with each other so closely. We absolutely demand the best, and we do in fact get it.

We have this saying that "People are our greatest asset" and it's true.