Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeroKuno

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokiorin View Post
tl:dr - Riot is a successful company with the largest video game in the world, why should they hire any less than the absolute best.
There is way more than just education and work experience that is required for a job/career.

Noobgrenade

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMoto View Post
3: really, really true. A good paid internship will give you better money than your average college gig, better experience, and probably land you a fulltime job. I was getting $22 an hour doing intern work. The regular jobs I had at the time gave me $10-14.
4: Open source software dev is awesome. You can put it on resumes, it gives you experience handling real-world issues, and if you're a *nix geek it allows you to give something back.

Elsea

12-18-2012

Morello, y u so nice? In any forum community I've been in other than LoL, someone like Berri would've been permabanned 10 times over by now, lol.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-18-2012
15 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilgoat View Post
If only that post-MBA manager job had been posted a year later, I'd drop the JD part and be all over this. A little surprised compensation is on the level of high-tier tech firms though, good to see Riot is doing well.
Well, it's more about: if you want the right talent, make Riot awesome to work at so you can get them and more importantly, keep them.

Money's not why anyone gets into game development (there's way easier ways to make more money), but if money is a problem for someone, that can make them unhappy and less likely to be able to stay, even if they like the company otherwise.

Additionally, we ask a lot, we need to be prepared to give a lot

raynac

12-18-2012

do you have any grunt work over there at riot? I will do grunt work . and I will be happy about it. and then I will work hard enough that you make me king of the grunts, and then I will continue to strive for excellence until i work myself into the actually ranks of riots reds BUAHAHAHAHAHA

Judgesin

12-18-2012

how did Vesh get in ? O_o

Wasn't he 19 when he was hired.

Naxc

12-18-2012

For me, 2 years to go and I can work for you guys
Just kidding but i've been working in the game industry 8 years now

What Morello says is very true tho, you'll never find a school that will teach you what you learn by actually being in the game company. And no matter how exceptional you are, you'll always meet people who are greater than you in one aspect or an other.

To be a game designer in a company like Riot, you seriously need balls of steel, being humble is a must but you must also stand by your design choices when you make them and be ready to defend them as not only will you be questioned by the players, but also by everyone internally. Being good at describing your ideas is a necessary talent, having leadership and initiative will also be very handful.

To be honest, jobs posted externally often require more harsh requirement than jobs being posted internally. If you want to work for a company like Riot as a designer, the harsher but easyer path would be to enter the company as a QA. QA has its drawback, but on the bright side, you learn a lot about the company and how it works, plus they usually are more lenient when it comes to upgrading people who they know already work well inside (instead of requiring 10 years )

FlyMoto

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I somewhat agree with you Fly - I think playing a lot of games though needs to come with something outstanding about the time you spent there. Being a pro-level player can get you visibility and knowledge, if you want to work on a specific project. Classick got in by developing a player/developer relationship with Zileas in beta, and Zileas started seeing him as a go-to for good gameplay analysis. I actually did the same in GW.

But, to your point, standing out and being exceptionable in some way is important and cannot be ignored - agreed. I'm always of the belief that exceptional people are in the habit of behaving in a way that is exceptional.
I was trying to generalize my post a bit more beyond just the gaming industry (I don't work for a gaming company) - but those are certainly other great ways to have something to show for what you've done.

I guess I'm pessimistic about the odds of most people having high-level play experience and being able to turn that in to a job. It's possible for those who can get in to betas, post thorough analysis of the game, and become well known for it... but that seems significantly more niche.

Things like blogs and youtube channels are also great ways of showcasing one's work, though.

Ryuzakku

12-18-2012

really high expectations for a company that has only made one game with no intentions of making a second game...

Devilgoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Well, it's more about: if you want the right talent, make Riot awesome to work at so you can get them and more importantly, keep them.

Money's not why anyone gets into game development (there's way easier ways to make more money), but if money is a problem for someone, that can make them unhappy and less likely to be able to stay, even if they like the company otherwise.

Additionally, we ask a lot, we need to be prepared to give a lot
Absolutely. The video game industry is completely overlooked by top business schools (as are most things not on Wall/Bay Street).

Always reassuring to know that I have options beyond what is presented to me. Made a note to hit LinkedIn and see what I can find on Riot and others. =)