@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soliasildo

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Statikk might be posting more, but let me update on the details that are concerning in a TLDR sense;

Diana: We overnerfed here, agreed. Will fix next patch.

Rengar: We need to tear him down a bit to build him back up - someone earlier in this thread mentioned that he has too many things to be both balanced and fun, and that's the same problem we detect. There will be additional changes next patch.
If Diana's Q range and Lunar Rush ranged matched up, it'd be a bit better. Right now Diana can't easily follow up from a max range Q.

Pie Kills

12-18-2012

Quote:
Statikk might be posting more, but let me update on the details that are concerning in a TLDR sense;

Rengar: We need to tear him down a bit to build him back up - someone earlier in this thread mentioned that he has too many things to be both balanced and fun, and that's the same problem we detect. There will be additional changes next patch.
Does this mean i can finally try my dream champ balanced :3 *Gets ip ready

Pie Kills

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccain2468 View Post
Morello, if you want to know what is the most/least banned champions, or if you want to see which champions lose the most or wins the most, here is a website! You can see which campions don't win as much, and you can see if you need to change anything. http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...te&range=daily
Im sure he has is own way of keeping track :3 and the possibility that he gives the info to these sites

TenDz

12-18-2012

Morello can you let us know when you are fixing Urgot, or even if its on the plate?

DonnFirinne

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking
I don't know, you did (well, the balance team did) murdered Rammus out of viability, and the new jungle is not helping him at all either.
Yes, we're not always right. I think this is a clear base of where we need to buff.
I'd like to weigh in here, even though this comment is way back in the thread by this point. I think Rammus represents one of the internally unbalanced champions of the league. What I mean by that for Rammus is that his whole kit is balanced around his taunt. You at Riot have kept his taun the longest in the game while nerfing other aspects of his kit. As it stands, his taunt is still ridiculously strong, but the other parts of his kit feel lackluster in an attempt to balance him externally. As long as his taunt stays that powerful I think it will be very hard, if not impossible, to truly balance him.

Another champ I happen to think is internally unbalanced, though in a different way, is Nunu. Nunu has 2 abilities that can damage champions. One is his channelled ultimate, the other is a targetted slow. At max rank, he has a 3-second, 60% slow on a 6 second cooldown, and its damage is based around it being his primary source of champion damage. This means that his iceball will deal high damage, slow incredibly, be undodgeable, and be spammable. I don't know of another ability like that, and I personally find it ridiculous.

I don't know how to fix either of these problems, but nonetheless I consider them significant problems to champion balance that doesn't fit into the usual buff/nerf balancing scheme.

Luci0us

12-18-2012

Quote:

I'm glad to see this, that Riot agrees with the community about a recent nerf on a champion that so many people love =D
I've played her since her 2nd day of release, so if I can maybe offer an opinion on a possible nerf for her? Diana's ult being a longer range than her Q is basically her trademark, I think that Lunar Rush's range should be restored or atleast be longer than her Q. Taking away Diana's ulti was like taking fire away from Brand . In exchange for giving her ulti range back, why not make the mana cost on all her abilities higher so early game is easier against her, and maybe lower the base damage of her abilities at earlier ranks so she's less of a thread early game but can still be Diana late game? Ex: Lower Crescent strike's damage from 60 / 95 / 130 / 165 / 200 to 40 / 70 / 120 / 160 / 200? Or something along those lines, you guys are the professionals, I'm just trying my best to help and say thanks for the future nerf fix =)

BlGFISH

12-18-2012

Karma rework where?

Also what are the upcoming plans with Viktor? Are you going a 3rd tier hex core upgrade like it was rumored?

Also I saw you are looking to buff Sej, I just want to warn although she does need buffs, be careful how much you do it. Her first jungle clear IS awful, but every subsequent clear is godlike, and her ganks are.....well really good.
For a buff I would say make her first clear just a little easier, so maybe an increase in base health or armor, and a 5 increase on movespeed.
People haven't really figured her out yet, because since she can farm the jungle well, she becomes a mega tank late.

KetiaX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
It's also important to realize that it's not our goal (nor statistically possible!) to have every champion in the top tier picks list. We just want options to be viable, and especially have them be situational or strategy-based.
How about Xerath, Morello? I would ask about Heimer, Sejuani, and Karma too, but they're on the works, or so I've heard. Xerath has been very weak almost since his release, and the new items only helped his late game power, which has always been powerful. Xerath's early game is too weak for him to be able to reach his late game state. I'd give my own reasonings, but only if this post piqued your interest.

Crs LiQuiD112

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Diana is not overnerfed

Lokiiiz

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crs LiQuiD112 View Post
Diana is not overnerfed
She's fine right now tbh.