There is absolutely no reason at all for there to be Tier 1 and Tier 2 runes.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oPLURo

01-11-2013

bump

Boloney

01-11-2013

Tier 1 runes are still useful due to how cheap they are, while retaining about 60% of the effect of Tier 3 runes.

Most of the common ones are only 15 IP. Quints are usually 80 IP. You can fill an entire page with marks, seals and glyphs for only 405 IP. That's ~60% of the effect of a full Tier 3 page for less than the average price of a single Tier 3 rune. Three quints would cost an additional 240 IP and aren't as worthwhile. Still, much cheaper than Tier 3.

For someone who is starting out and still wants to buy many champions, that provides an extremely cheap way to get some stat boosts without setting them behind on champions.

Keep in mind a full Tier 3 page can cost anywhere from 7,215 IP to 28,290 IP. Given the prices of the most typical runes, you can expect to pay at least 12,000 IP for your average page. That's a lot of IP. A lot of potential champions. A long time to go without any kind of rune bonuses. Again, for comparison, a full Tier 1 page will usually only cost 645 IP and give about 60% of the same stats. 60% of the stats for 5% of the price.

That's not a waste if you use it for a long time. And you most likely will.

Tier 2 runes, however, really are a trap.

Nevurwin

01-11-2013

At the very least Riot should allow us to sell back our runes for like 50% of the value or something. i have so many t-1 and t-2 runes just sitting in my inventory. unfortunately for me no one ever informed me of how much a waste they are

oPLURo

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABigSchmitty View Post
At the very least Riot should allow us to sell back our runes for like 50% of the value or something. i have so many t-1 and t-2 runes just sitting in my inventory. unfortunately for me no one ever informed me of how much a waste they are
Yep.

oPLURo

01-12-2013

bump

Sënuch

01-12-2013

I disagree with the OP. Newbs will learn a valuable lesson by purchasing T1 Runes. First they will learn they are useless and outdone by higher tier runes. They would learn a lesson to save their IP for a long-term goal, T3 runes. They would be able to identify how bad the prices are for T2 Runes, due to their stats only being a hair better than T1 Runes.

It engages the newbs to pay attention to what they are doing, It would encourage newbs to do the research.

You take T1 and T2 runes away, and you have yourself another generation of Newbs that can't think for themselves and just derp around the entire time. All they will know how to do is copy others, rinse and repeat and not question why they are doing the things they do.

You are encouraging players to not use their brain... GG

oPLURo

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuch View Post
I disagree with the OP. Newbs will learn a valuable lesson by purchasing T1 Runes. First they will learn they are useless and outdone by higher tier runes. They would learn a lesson to save their IP for a long-term goal, T3 runes. They would be able to identify how bad the prices are for T2 Runes, due to their stats only being a hair better than T1 Runes.

It engages the newbs to pay attention to what they are doing, It would encourage newbs to do the research.

You take T1 and T2 runes away, and you have yourself another generation of Newbs that can't think for themselves and just derp around the entire time. All they will know how to do is copy others, rinse and repeat and not question why they are doing the things they do.

You are encouraging players to not use their brain... GG
Thanks for putting more eyes on OP

oPLURo

02-17-2013

bump

THE FECKFACE

02-17-2013

Use the rune combiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhBwSsgYYk

Someone created an excel spreadsheet which calculates your chances of getting a useful rune when using the rune combiner. Saving tons of IP this way.

Just watch the video.