*splutter with outrage* The Situation in Ionia

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dracorya

10-13-2010

(This will partially be in character, read the latest JoJ if you have no idea what I'm talking about :P ).

This is an outrage! Must our people resort to such extreme measures to have our protests heard? Word has reached my ear that in my beloved homeland, a monk has immolated himself in protest of the Noxus's occupation in the southern part of the isle.

It is a tragedy that where words and pleas have failed, our people resort to this to try and appeal our cause. Soraka was the only one who spoke openly about it, but I can feel the sorrow and rage of all the Ionian champions that had joined the League in hopes to prevent something like this from happening.

Noxus can no longer sit complacent on their stolen fortunes. First were the suspicious circumstances that caused Ionia to fail at ousting Noxus the first time and we still have 8 long years ahead of us before we can challenge them again.

I appeal to those sympathetic to our cause to pressure Noxus into shortening the deadline, Ionia cannot tolerate their brutality and greed destroying our home. We cannot trust their word that they will leave once we are "modernized." When is that? When they have stripped everything they need from our lands and leave us with nothing? When they grow bored of treating our people as second class despite they fact THEY are the outsiders?

No, we cannot trust the word of a conquerer like Noxus. While we may be a non-violent people, we will NOT allow ourselves to be taken advantage of. We have lost too much already.

-Summoner Juna "Dracorya" Ling

Necromonger

10-13-2010

As an avid summoner of Master Yi, I agree...

K D Bonez

10-13-2010

It's a shame when an Ionian summoner must accuse Noxus of foul play. Did it ever occur to you that on that fateful day you had doubt in your heart? Noxians are fierce fighter, and if we see an opening, we WILL exploit it. Your city-state summoners that day were weak and were defeated. Yes, they fought well, but they didn't have the same prowess we Noxians did. Deal with it, and wait the rest of your sentence.

My condolences to the family and friends of the monk. He will be missed when he is nothing but ash.

-General Kalis Drekval Bonez of the Noxus High Command, Summoner.

Munchlord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

As much as your political requests are allowed, as is the oppinion of anyone, you do have to remember that it was the Ionian leadership that agreed to the timewise terms of the occupation challenge back when it was held. As such, you do not, under rules as they are, have any grounds for demanding that the time untill a rematch is permitted should be shortened, nor for the Noxian High Command to begin the withdrawal of its troops. Petitions of change can be made, but do not expect anyone to follow suit to demands as you agreed to the very terms that render such demands baseless yourself.

-Munchlord, Zaunite Summoner and Independent Researcher

Syrdust

10-13-2010

Soon.... Soon Ionia shall have a new power within the League!

(This is me building tension. =D I am creating a new champ from Ionia and this situation fits perfectly with his group he is from!)

WheresBravoOne

10-13-2010

I'm sorry, but being of Vietnamese descent, this last J.o.J. actually upset me very greatly, as I found it brought forth terrible racial memories. Riot, if you are reading this, I find that to be a wholly disrespectful reference to the lasting legacy of my father's time and of the horrors that led to my birth here in America. What I find worse is that you have effectively misconstrued amongst the player community the circumstances that led to such a burning in real life history. During the Vietnam War, a monk immolated himself in a position of meditation as protest to Ngo Dinh Diem, the established President of South Vietnam, for Diem's persecution of non-Catholic religions, especially Bhuddism.

I would hope that, in the future, Riot exercises more caution in how they use historical paralells with their Lore. Show some sensitivity, please.

Necromonger

10-13-2010

I really was wondering about the real-world reference. Trying to enhance the lore is fine, though picking from recent history when people or their immediate family are still alive.... is stepping on toes

Next thing you'll know they'll do a death march.

Reference from farther back in history, where offending people is unlikely.

In my opinion.

Dracorya

10-13-2010

I'm of Vietnamese descent myself and honestly, I was not offended at all. It helps to connect with this event since a person can relate to it from the real world perspective. It certainly helped to fuel the tone I wrote my opening post with. I was certainly a little shocked at first, but its hardly the first time that some form of media has taken a page of out history to in a way, remind its viewers/customers/whatever of what kinds of things have taken place over our history. Even if it was for profit.

And for the record, it was Deim's brother (an aspiring Bishop) and wife who manipulated the events that led to that tragedy happening. I can still get my mother to talk vehemently about all the wrongs that couple did.

Edit: Funny, I try to point out that people should be careful on making jokes about this whole since they can easily border on completely inappropriate on the GD and predictably I get downvoted.

I understand humor and making light of a serious situation to make it easier to take in, but some of those jokes were really treading the line.

Nwol

10-13-2010

Summoner Munchlord is right in this matter, they did lose their match. I must protest though that the only foreign threat to Ionia is Noxus itself. If fifteen years is not enough to modernize, then I would say they are doing a fairly poor job.

- Summoner Nwol

TheMagister

10-14-2010

As much as I dislike Noxians on principle I must say it was Ionia's own fault for accepting the terms that they did. The only way I can see the year limit changing were if a discovery of match tampering were brought to light, which is unlikely (not the tampering part, the bringing to light part)

Magister -Independent summoner and Librarian.

1234511 ... 14