Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you play Olaf???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

10-13-2010

Quote:
Covenant:
The purpose of razors is a safe dragon kill and it build up into Bloodrazors. If you go 2x Doran's Swords all you get is 2x Doran's Swords.

And then you get items which are actually good on Olaf.

Covenant

Recruiter

10-13-2010

Quote:
Carados:
And then you get items which are actually good on Olaf.

2x Doran's Swords are such an expensive diversion from actual itemization that it seems like a serious waste of time.

Spamming the Dorans items seems like a cost-effective short-term solution but it lacks the long-term viability that I'd be looking for. 870 gold spend on Doran's weapons would get you more than a Red Gem, Vamp Scepter and Longsword, but I can't see it being as valuable later on as the same amount of gold put into real items.

Carados

10-13-2010

As opposed to spending 1k on items that aren't good on Olaf, you say 870 is a waste of gold?

Get out.

LoveYuRi

10-13-2010

It depends on you.
If you jungle, W is the skill to start off with
If you lane start with Q (undertow) then get E(some lighting thing) then Get Q and at lvl 4 then you get W

Anyway, Olaf to me is one of the most Op charcter i seen...
E does 100 damage at lvl 1 and at lvl 5 it does 340 damage and only have a C/D or 3-4 seconds...
Then Q at lvl 5 has a damage of 255+Ap damage Then it has a 10 C/d at lvl 1 and stays at 10 but everytime you pick it up, it decrease 6 seconds.
W= hacks at lvl 5, each attack does around 250 damage for an autoattack :O

Soo if you tie all this up
-----> ULT+Ghost+E+W+Q+E
=death
E already does 340+255(ap can make it more)=600 life and thats is in like 1-2 seconds
active W for life steal and increase attack speed +damage =250 for every auto attack
5 seconds =1k hp? then within4 more seconds both your skills are free again and you can spam an extra 600 damage in 2 seconds

Soo in 10 seconds they be death if they dont run

basing this off lvl 18 and when you fight tankers. If you fight people besides tankers... they die in like 5 seconds.

Covenant

Recruiter

10-13-2010

Quote:
Carados:
As opposed to spending 1k on items that aren't good on Olaf, you say 870 is a waste of gold?

Get out.

Yeah, 870 spent on 2x Doran's Blades is a bigger waste than 1000 spent on Razors.

Razors do turn into valuable items, either the Lantern or Bloodrazor, and can sit in your inventory for a long time providing decent stats and an excellent farming benefit.

Doran's Swords don't turn into anything, provide an abysmally low lifesteal, damage, and health on their own. Two of them add up to something but it never becomes anything, and it's trading a debatable early game lead for a late-game one.

12 damage, 8% lifesteal and 240 hitpoints for two item slots is not better than 15 damage, 23 armor, an excellent farming passive and the ability to be turned into Bloodrazor.

And it lets you start with the cloth armor + 5 red potions setup at the beginning without losing anything by selling the armor back, starting with a red elixir, or starting the jungle with the Doran's Sword itself--which is slower and a little more risky. +18 armor is a significant increase to your early survivability, and 4% lifesteal is so bad that the only advantage to starting with the Doran Sword over, for example, a Longsword is the +120 HP. But a red potion provides 200 back in healing, so your aggregate, effective hitpoint level is higher with cloth and potions anyway.

So basically anyway I look at it I'd rather invest in an item that helps all junglers jungle faster, can turn into one of the best autoattack items in the game, or sold for a high return than a pair of items that provide a marginal benefit at slightly less cost and twice as many spaces and result in a slower early game.

Carados

10-13-2010

Quote:
Covenant:
Razors do turn into valuable items

Except, you know, valuable items that aren't at all good at Olaf if you understand the champion at a basic level.

Covenant

Recruiter

10-13-2010

Quote:
Carados:
Except, you know, valuable items that aren't at all good at Olaf if you understand the champion at a basic level.

A tank Olaf benefits early from Razors in the ways outlined above, and if you choose to and have the money for it, Bloodrazors is one of the best single investments into Damage you can make. I'm not sure how you can say that doesn't make sense. Olaf is one of the people who best uses Bloodrazor because of his attackspeed boost and the way it benefits his lifesteal.

Afterall, it does magic damage, which is able to be Spell Vamped by your Vicious Strikes, which is great.

It makes him a serious threat no matter what he's pounding on and is a better cost-per-return value than a lot of flat AD items. If you only get one attack item on a Tank Olaf going for Bloodrazor gives you a serious degree of output not mitigated by armor like the rest of your attacks are, an extremely high damage output, and you can always ditch the razor for minimal loss if you decide not to continue that path. Or you can turn it into the very cheap Lantern for a good lifesteal and free wards.

Trillo

10-14-2010

Quote:
Covenant:
Get HP and survival items to NOT DIE.

NOT DYING is the most important thing for an Olaf to remember. He wants to get to Valhalla but he shouldn't be in any big hurry.

Recently I've given up on DPS Olaf because as soon as it becomes mid-game Olaf's survivability becomes questionable. Sure he does a lot of damage in 5 seconds of autoattacking, but he's likely to last about 2 seconds once they see you do it once.

Tank Olaf benefits from several things:

Lifesteal matters more when it takes more effort to hurt you. Lifesteal doesn't matter very much if you're easy to kill. If you have 150 armor then your lifesteal is 150% as effective. See how that works? That's good news because lifesteal is annoyingly hard to get high enough to matter otherwise.

Your W, E and R all benefit from tanky and high hitpoint builds. W gains a minor damage boost and more importantly grants lifesteal, which we just discussed. E costs health to use, so having more health and having that health be harder to lose means it's easier to spam. And your R only provides flat damage reduction, so you're better off not relying on it to save you from bursts, so you need big HP and MR to survive contact with the enemy.

But tanklaf isn't always dull.

Get Razors, then work on some tank items. I get a Kindlegem in there too for CDR, and some Zerker boots to help him attack faster, because you can turn that Razor into a Bloodrazor. Bloodrazor does magic damage, which is great with your Spell Vamp. Mashing away with E will be a constant damage source.

Good times.

I agree that once the enemy see's a DPS olaf, he will get focused and go down fast. Tanky brOlaf is the way to go. I'm pretty confident the Bloodrazor's magic damage is not absorbed by his 'W' spellvamp. I like taking 1/21/8 and jungling, as long as your team has someone to 2v1. Otherwise, olaf isn't bad in a lane.

Here's two builds I want to try tonight.
goal: 40% CDR for reckless spam, 150ish armor for effective hp
cloth + 5 pots
heart of gold + boots 1
vamp scepter
finish randuins
brutalizer
finish boots of swiftness
finish youmuu's

After that either Banshee's for magic resist or starks if they are physical.

Second build..
goal: mallet perma-slow, damage through W passive + atma's
cloth + 5 pots
wriggles + boots 1
phage
atmas (starting with vest)
boots of swiftness
finish mallet

Has anyone tried either of these types of builds yet?
edit: I use arP marks, hp/lvl seals, cdr/lvl glyphs, flat HP quints.

Redenbacher

10-14-2010

I've just started playing Olaf and so far Wriggles has worked wonders - I don't see how it's a bad item on him. Armor, Damage, Fast Jungling/healing, and wards on demand.

I've been using Wriggles -> Mallet, but I'm thinking I'll do Wriggle's -> Ghostblade, and see how that works.

Brontobeuf

10-14-2010

Red: arpen.
Yellow: flat armor
Blue: MR/lvl
Quint: HP
Mastery: 21/0/9
Spells: ghost & smite.

Start with cloth armor & 5 pots. Go in the jungle (train it in practice to find yours).
I start with Blue Golem or Wraith camp.

If there is no overextent, I secure the dragon at lvl 5.
If there's a jungler in the opposite team, I farm a bit more before the madred to get wards.

Items: depend a lot on the team & adversaries.
Frequently, I get
- atma
- frozen malet
- banshee
- IE
- starks

Skills order: depends.
I start with W and Q.
If they will have a lot of HP, I max W. If they are squichy, I max the true damage spell.
I get 2 in the axe, to have a correct slow.

After this, it's all about entering in a fight at the right moment.