How do you play Olaf???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mana Grenade

10-13-2010

how do u play Olaf, wat build do u get, wat skills do u lvl up first, and wat runes

Drunkyone

10-13-2010

olaf he is the anti hero.... hear me out on this ask the team what hero is making them mad *(
and run in on him your ult makes is so they can't stop you and you are a monster in a 1v1 match...
but the more they beat you the faster you kill someone ( AS based off life )

for my build i get

Madred bloodrazor
Ninja Tabi
Starks Fervor
Last whisper
frosen mallet
phantom dancer

JUNGLE MY FRIEND JUNGLE! Olaf is Slow to start off in a lane and GREAT to jungle

start with cloth armer and pots and get your vicious strikes (life regen woot frist skill)
farm the jungle for your madred razor, and farm some more... when you have got ninja tadi, madred razor and life steal part of starks start ganking and start your ganks at about 75% of your life ***more attack speed when you start raping the hero... NOTE YOU ARE A ONE HERO MAN YOU GIVE YOUR ALL ON ONE CHAR AND HOPE THE TEAM KILLS EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!

u should have ghost and smite for skills

wait for a gank to open up pop ghost and then your ult when you think they can hit you(ult is only 5-8sec long) then hit your cisious strikes, throw your undertow and reckless swing ther FACE!!
REPEAT... in most cases you should not have to hit them with a reckless swing more then 2 him befor the are dead or you are... olaf does not run from fights he holds his ground if he is not hitting someone in a fight he is DEAD.. he is all about life steal, and attack speed...

the last whisper is the KEY in my eyes to him kickin ass.... his passive is increased armor penetration 10-20-30 and when your add whispers on to it 40% you got 50-60-70% PENETRATION.... the frosen mallet keeps them in your range and the bloodrazor is the DPS when you are not Reckless swing ther faces..

**** have to go back to work that all i got for now let me know how it works for you

Drediviros

10-13-2010

Well there's a lot of ways to go here...

For masteries I've seen 9/21/0, 21/9/0, 0/9/21, and some others.

For runes, you generally see armor pen marks, flat health quints, MR per level glyphs, dodge/HP per level/armor/mana regen per level seals
The traditional build is (not in this exact order necessarily) boots of choice, Starks, Yomuu's, Frozen Mallet, Atma's etc.

However some people also go for straight up tank builds and just stack tons of HP with randuin's, warmogs, banshee's etc.

As for skill order, 99% of Olaf users jungle, so they start with W, then Q, then W again. After that the order is R>Q>W>E . However with tank builds, you rely on E for your damage mostly, so they usually go R>Q>E>W or R>E>Q>W.

The advantage of the tank build is that blind (which isn't affected by ragnarok) doesn't shut you down because you have great survivability from your items and you still hit pretty hard because of reckless swing and your auto attack which is boosted by your HP from viscous strikes and atma's.

Generally speaking you're better off with the traditional build against a team that doesn't have many blinds and against many blinds tank is prolly better.

As for summoner spells you're prolly packing smite for the jungle and either ghost or cleanse.

Personally I go 9/0/21 armor pen marks, flat health quints, HP per level seals, MR per level glyphs and I bring smite and ghost.

I generally get the traditional item build but sometimes I do go more tanky based on the situation.

Carados

10-13-2010

There's two basic, good builds.

Straight AD, which is explained decently in this guide, or stacking survability and then nuking people with your E, which looks something like this basic guide.

And the thing about Olaf is you don't really want to level your W too much, as it provides very little returns per level compared to your nuke and your Q's slow.

Wilif

10-13-2010

I use a lot of +health items so he can get stronger with W. also armor (or magic resist, it depends on who is the enemy). frozen mallet, randuin´s omen, sunfire cape. use the Q ability first to keep the enemy champion away, you can farm with it to.
the R is very usefull to destroy turrets or to enter in the fight.

Carados

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilif View Post
I use a lot of +health items so he can get stronger with W
Let's be honest here, if you're buying HP items to pump up his W, you're not going to do so well. You should be buying HP to not die.

Here's some basic math from one of the guides explaining it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
I don't believe a word of it. Vicious Strikes gives you 1.6% of your max HP as damage while it's active. 1.6%. That's 1 damage for every 62.5 hit points you get. That Warmog's, maxed out on creep kills? It gives you 1220 health, meaning 19.52 damage while Vicious Strikes is active. That Frozen Mallet that Olaf "NEEDS TO GET FIRST"? It gives 700 HP and a total of 31.2 damage, in addition to its slow. So for your 6385 gold (not including boots), you've got 50.72 damage. That's as much as an 1850 gold B.F. Sword. And that all-important slow? Oh right, Lizard buff.

Kroghar

10-13-2010

[QUOTE=Drunkyone;3437864]
for my build i get

Madred bloodrazor
Ninja Tabi
Starks Fervor
Last whisper
frosen mallet
phantom dancer[QUOTE]

Different take on that one could be:

Wriggle's Lantern
Boots of Choice (Olaf is less reliant on Merc's so you get fun options)
Youmo's Ghostblade
Last Whisper
Infinity Edge
Cap it off with Frozen Mallet or Phantom Dancer or Brutalizer or Bloodthirster if you're steamrolling

Madred's Bloodrazor is definitely brutal if your facing a tanky team, I like the cheapness and early lifesteal you get from Wriggles, and then the massive dominance you get just from Ghostblade. Gives you a stronger early start. If you are landing your Undertows well, along with Ghostblades active and Ghost, you shouldn't have much need for Frozen Mallet, which I think is another expensive item that takes a while to get going.

Both good builds, just different ways of going.

Covenant

10-13-2010

Get HP and survival items to NOT DIE.

NOT DYING is the most important thing for an Olaf to remember. He wants to get to Valhalla but he shouldn't be in any big hurry.

Recently I've given up on DPS Olaf because as soon as it becomes mid-game Olaf's survivability becomes questionable. Sure he does a lot of damage in 5 seconds of autoattacking, but he's likely to last about 2 seconds once they see you do it once.

Tank Olaf benefits from several things:

Lifesteal matters more when it takes more effort to hurt you. Lifesteal doesn't matter very much if you're easy to kill. If you have 150 armor then your lifesteal is 150% as effective. See how that works? That's good news because lifesteal is annoyingly hard to get high enough to matter otherwise.

Your W, E and R all benefit from tanky and high hitpoint builds. W gains a minor damage boost and more importantly grants lifesteal, which we just discussed. E costs health to use, so having more health and having that health be harder to lose means it's easier to spam. And your R only provides flat damage reduction, so you're better off not relying on it to save you from bursts, so you need big HP and MR to survive contact with the enemy.

But tanklaf isn't always dull.

Get Razors, then work on some tank items. I get a Kindlegem in there too for CDR, and some Zerker boots to help him attack faster, because you can turn that Razor into a Bloodrazor. Bloodrazor does magic damage, which is great with your Spell Vamp. Mashing away with E will be a constant damage source.

Good times.

Carados

10-13-2010

You shouldn't need razors to jungle. 2x Doran's Swords.

Covenant

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
You shouldn't need razors to jungle. 2x Doran's Swords.
The purpose of razors is a safe dragon kill and it build up into Bloodrazors. If you go 2x Doran's Swords all you get is 2x Doran's Swords.