[Guide] LoL On Any Computer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OmgLucky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

*Unconfirmed, more testing needed.*

For this simple guide you will need only 2 things.
A usb with at least 1gb free.
and Internet connection.

Steps to creating a Portable LoL Gaming Launcher

1. First, Plug the usb in and open up properties (right click>properties) and make sure there is 1gb available.
  2. Then go to League of Legends website and find the download page. https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/download
  3. Download the installation onto your desktop, should say setup.exe or something with the icon being the League of Legends "L".
  4. Double click it and it will ask you if you want to install. Click yes.
  5. When selecting where to install click on My Computer>Usb (whatever your usb is named).
  6. It will begin downloading the software onto your usb.
  7. Next it will complete and will need a simple update or setup completion most likely.
  8. Congratulations, now you can carry around that USB and play LoL on almost any computer. (Provided some public high schools/middle schools block .exe opening from Usb's :/ )
Ask any questions here.
(preliminary testing atm, have used it in a few places. need to test in more to confirm)

ps;
Link to image of the full size it took up on my usb
http://imgur.com/ml9xU.png

themilkmann

10-13-2010

Awesome, didn't even think to do this but there is no chance I'm not going to try it now.

DoransTroll

10-13-2010

Doesn't the computer need Adobe Air to play, and not just client?

Pieson

10-13-2010

I'll try to do this, hopefully it will work and I'll be able to play. at my school one teacher lets uf play SC after school, and he told us that if we were able to get LoL onto a flash drive we could play then also.

OmgLucky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoransTroll View Post
Doesn't the computer need Adobe Air to play, and not just client?
Thats a problem im running into. Alot of computers have it already just for other purposes (like my college does) but i guess that will need to be updated on a case to case basis? I have multiple computers and try and to keep all software like Adobe, Flash, Shockwave etc. updated no matter if i use the cpu often or not.
At the moment im testing to see if 1gb is big enough. I might find that it needs to be bigger as when i originally just tried it i had installed it onto the computer only leaving the initial setup on the usb. I have an 8gb usb at home which ill bring to confirm asap.
Any others who test can give me feedback as if it works with a bigger size usb ill invest in a designated LoL usb <3

DoransTroll

10-13-2010

An 8GB USB isn't all that expensive nowadays (under $20 is quite common). So USB size is not a problem.

I find it interesting that a lot of computers in your college does have Adobe AIR though. Every computers I've seen have Acrobat--but I've never seen one with AIR before.

OmgLucky

10-13-2010

Theres other games on here if that has any bounds. Like wow, guildwars etc. plenty of people sit in the computer lab and play games all day. I guess LoL is only popular with the asians here who like their toshiba laptops with chinese character settings

Alex Chen

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrading View Post
*Unconfirmed, more testing needed.*

For this simple guide you will need only 2 things.
A usb with at least 1gb free.
and Internet connection.

Steps to creating a Portable LoL Gaming Launcher
  1. First, Plug the usb in and open up properties (right click>properties) and make sure there is 1gb available.
  2. Then go to League of Legends website and find the download page. https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/download
  3. Download the installation onto your desktop, should say setup.exe or something with the icon being the League of Legends "L".
  4. Double click it and it will ask you if you want to install. Click yes.
  5. When selecting where to install click on My Computer>Usb (whatever your usb is named).
  6. It will begin downloading the software onto your usb.
  7. Next it will complete and will need a simple update or setup completion most likely.
  8. Congratulations, now you can carry around that USB and play LoL on almost any computer. (Provided some public high schools/middle schools block .exe opening from Usb's :/ )
Ask any questions here.
(preliminary testing atm, have used it in a few places. need to test in more to confirm)

ps;
Link to image of the full size it took up on my usb
http://imgur.com/ml9xU.png
All you really did was teach someone how to press the "Browse" button in the LoL setup. Plus, it doesn't even work unless you have Adobe AIR on the target computer.

Nega Dazz

Recruiter

10-13-2010

nice

SlackWareWolf

10-27-2010

This works with just about any software. Even Operating Systems. Some version have a USB version made specifically for this, like Slackware for example and the "ZIPSlack" which is made for ZIP Disks, and of course works on really any storage media... technically anyway. But for the most part, when it comes to games, this method can work nicely.

I wouldn't use something as small as one gig though, because a ZIP Disk doesn't actually contain any form of memory, and so for certain situation with patches, it could fill the drive up all the way and you'd have to basically format the thing to make it work again.

Similar to the Unix World where accidentally filling up the root disk is an issue that you need to fix quickly heh.