"Differences between LoL and DotA"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grandjester

10-13-2010

Bored, so looking around the LoL site. I came across the DotA/LoL comparison page that I haven't seen for a while, first saw it around the time I started playing LoL I think. Anyway, I found it kinda amusing.

"League of Legends is more aggressive"
Uh...huh. Farming until late game and then waiting for a mistake to be made to start a team fight and win isn't really that aggressive. DotA was about ganking and you could even viably roam around the map from level 1 as heroes like venge, so that's a bit off.

"League of Legends is more active"
Stop that.

"League of Legends is less random"
In some areas, perhaps. There's no bash or whatnot, that's true. However crit is a base stat, as is dodge, and those are constantly providing random elements.

"League of Legends has brush"
Okay now we're talking sense. That's an obvious difference.

"League of Legends is even more of a team game"
I'd probably agree with this, though I wouldn't agree that this is a point in the game's favour.

"League of Legends has a persistant metagame called the Summoner System"
Alright that's a good thing to point out. I like the summoner system. Though the cost of runes is slightly ridiculous.

Anyway just wanted to note how this looked to me. Enjoy your flaming.

r431

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

League of Legend is more ganking oriented than DotA.

Even as Hard Carries like Tristana, you have to gank around in order to excel late game.

On the flipside, DotA is more about protecting your carries at all cost, or just make noise somewhere so your carries can farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm and facerape 1 vs 5 after 40 minutes...

That's about it. I was a humble person who made it to several runner up in local tourneys but didn't make it to the higher levels. =)

SlyGoat

10-13-2010

Yup. I consider brush a negative, especially as a replacement for juking, and the summoner system a double edged sword at best.

ThanksALatte

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by r431 View Post
League of Legend is more ganking oriented than DotA.

Even as Hard Carries like Tristana, you have to gank around in order to excel late game.

On the flipside, DotA is more about protecting your carries at all cost, or just make noise somewhere so your carries can farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm farm and facerape 1 vs 5 after 40 minutes...

That's about it. I was a humble person who made it to several runner up in local tourneys but didn't make it to the higher levels. =)
Actually, since LoL doesn't usually run a lvl 1 ganker, Dota is way more gank oriented. LoL is fairly predictable early on in ganks, there's a time window when the jungler is most likely to gank. There is also really only 1 main place to gank from on the side lanes and 2 in the middle (these are the bushes ofc). Dota has multiple spots out of the tree line and up the ridges for the side lanes. So I'd say Dota is much more gank oriented. Watch the WCG...any of the matches. You'll see the beginning is very boring, just standing around last hitting mostly.

LoL gets to the team phase, and while Dota would be working around a carry usually, LoL instead groups up five, moving from bush to bush til you run into the other teams group of five.

Oh, and there weren't 1v5 facerapes unless you failed to gank the carry (losing gold on death was actually an amazing way to shut down a hero!) and let him free farm all game. And before someone says "Just phantom assassin crit 4 shot everyone and lifesteal full hp," if you ever played above public, that phantom assassin would get massive disabled and stunned and die very very quickly. Your 5 not have any disables? In Dota you could BUY one!

Letkhar

10-13-2010

I find LoL to be much more aggressive and much less based on farming...There are only a few true hard carries in LoL, and most of them suck because they have to farm.

r431

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksALatte View Post
Oh, and there weren't 1v5 facerapes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11aBOKxL4KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksALatte View Post
if you ever played above public, that phantom assassin would get massive disabled and stunned and die very very quickly. Your 5 not have any disables? In Dota you could BUY one!
http://www.dotastrategy.com/item-29-BlackKingBar.html

kearndog

10-13-2010

What I hate is people that get on LoL after playing 10,000 games on DotA. These people always consider themselves insta-pro at LoL even when they have no idea how team mechanics and roles work in LoL. They see a champion that looked familiar to them from DotA and instantly are trying to give the non-DotA veteran LoL player bad advice.

Can we just focus on LoL and get over the glory days of DotA?

Luberriaga

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearndog View Post
What I hate is people that get on LoL after playing 10,000 games on DotA. These people always consider themselves insta-pro at LoL even when they have no idea how team mechanics and roles work in LoL. They see a champion that looked familiar to them from DotA and instantly are trying to give the non-DotA veteran LoL player bad advice.

Can we just focus on LoL and get over the glory days of DotA?
^^^^^^^^^^^thissss

Tipzntrix

10-13-2010

Brush was also the first thing I knew I wasn't going to like when I started this game, and 1500 games later I still don't like brush. The mechanic is just so icky. How can you see out of this random grass but people can't see in? With nidalee it gets even worse with her passive. All that happens is instant fog of war giving the first one in a great advantage.

I didn't like juking in silly tree paths good in DotA, either, however. It seemed like a silly way to increase the learning curve.

Japanadian

10-13-2010

Go back to playing dota and realize how much it sucks not having Recall.
also ^ ^ that juking around trees is such BS.
worst part of dota is some champs can 1v5 your team no matter how long the game goes. at least in lol it's possible to win a losing game