Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Removal of Steel Legion Lux.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spiku

12-15-2012

I am surprised to see such downvotes to my position, it seems rather mean spirited. DatBlackGai's position is not entirely unreasonable: Surely Gentleman Cho'Gath is entirely against his character? Brolaf doesn't exactly suit Olaf's background. Surfer Singed, party fiddle. There is a long history of skins that don't match the character of the champion in question.

Archdmon

12-15-2012

Go back, add to it, tweak it and make it her Pulsefire (Samus) skin.

RavenHusky

12-15-2012

Quote:
Spiku:
I am surprised to see such downvotes to my position, it seems rather mean spirited. DatBlackGai's position is not entirely unreasonable: Surely Gentleman Cho'Gath is entirely against his character? Brolaf doesn't exactly suit Olaf's background. Surfer Singed, party fiddle. There is a long history of skins that don't match the character of the champion in question.

Yeah, Gentleman Cho'gath deviates from his normal character, but it is in a funny way, and it was very successful. The same success doesn't happen when you deviate in the other way.

Spiku

12-15-2012

I mean my comment regarding vocalness comes from the fact that in my circle of real life LoL friends, two thought it was the best thing to happen to her, and another friend wanted to start playing Lux because of the skin; but none are making posts about such a thing.

To respond to RavenHusky:
Well, the deviation of not serious to serious happens with Nunu's new skin; it's darker, more serious, and armoured and doesn't match in with the basic character and is still successful. Pulsefire Ezreal is not what Ezreal is about (anyone remember when he was to be harry potteresque?) Nurse Akali has nothing to do with Akali but is popular. It's not an unfair argument to point out Arclight Varus' visuals.

Special Forces Gangplank and Minute Man Gangplank don't fit his pirating, but they're okay. Jailbreak Graves is full on sci-fi, but that's not a problem in character deviation? Blackthorn Morgana has nothing to do with Morgana. Bird of Prey Anivia totally undermines the point of Anivia being a Cryophoenix, but that's okay even if it's a more serious skin for a fantastical character.

The crux of what I am saying is that, to me, having light power armour doesn't seem to be any more a deviation than any other skin option and I think it would be a shame to see extra variety quashed.

MavJr

12-15-2012

Damnit, is this Lux skin coming out or not?

Whether or not other Lux players out there hate its military concept is regardless - it's still the most well-made, most badass skin & particles overhaul Lux's ever received. Commando was rubbish, Spellthief is well under-par in comparison to most skins available today, Sorceress is (for the lack of a better word) WAY too gay, and Imperial JUST isn't quite there yet either...

Steel Legion Lux's been her boldest, most vamped-up skin yet, and despite its shortcomings, it STILL blows all of Lux's existing skins out of the water - and I'd be more than happy to see it come through, and purchase it.

Sure, I agree, it could use a little bit more pizzaz (think, regal, elegant, vibrant but still powerful, and very badass-looking - perhaps something similar to Leona's default skin), but all the hate on it is causing Lux's most worked-upon, well-developed skin to be held back, and it doesn't deserve that.

I was looking to purchase this skin during the Snowdown series release as well... Has it been completely scrapped now...?

tender paws

12-15-2012

They have added additional particles to the skin and added a little bit of detail to the legs in beta. Even though it is unavailable, it is indeed being worked on still... they're going to release it eventually. She has a blue laser and lightning particles....

SlumlordThanatos

12-15-2012

Quote:
Spiku:
Special Forces Gangplank and Minute Man Gangplank don't fit his pirating, but they're okay. Jailbreak Graves is full on sci-fi, but that's not a problem in character deviation? Blackthorn Morgana has nothing to do with Morgana. Bird of Prey Anivia totally undermines the point of Anivia being a Cryophoenix, but that's okay even if it's a more serious skin for a fantastical character.

The difference between those skins and Steel Legion Lux is simple: none of these skins take away from what defines those characters. Gangplank and Graves both eat beef jerky and piss lightning (although in Gangplank's case, it's more oranges), so those skins you described don't really deviate very far. Anivia is still a bird, why not make her into a bald eagle? Blackthorn Morgana is a possible reference to Morgan le Fey, and wasn't she completely evil? Not much of a deviation there.

Now, in the case of Steel Legion Lux, you are taking a bubbly 19-year-old girl and turning her into Generic Space Marine #9001. She's a light mage, not a tank, and this armor is an ill fit on her, especially considering her lore. She may have been in the military, but she was more akin to a spy than a front-line artillery cannon.

Finally, this is the third military-related Lux skin they've released in a row. Can't we get something different for a change?

Spiku

12-15-2012

I have to say that's no real arguement there as far as the skin differences. Saying that Steel Legion takes away bubbly Lux, but that Anivia not being frosty, isn't, doesn't add up. Why can't she be bubbly while wearing the armour? She looks pretty angry in her military uniform splash art, but she's still fruity lux in that costume. Minute Man Gangplank is far, far from Piratey in concept because that means he's working for an imperial navy, but he's still going to be Plank in game. Why does Lux being in light power armour stop her being bubbly?

Yet Surfer singed doesn't detract from singed's character? Why is Nurse Akali, or Crimson Elite Riven not a massive issue then? Those are not suited to their characters. There is no "simple" in the argument you put forth as it doesn't really stand up to fair scrutiny when looking at the precedence in other skins.

Now, you suggest military related which is the only fair part of your statements; but they've all been distinct styles; modern, Damacian, and now future; and you still have 3 options for caster silly lux without that, which is already more than some characters have.

Now I'm certainly not trying to be contentious, but it honestly seems to be that you have a great fondness for the personality and character of Lux when you say "you are taking a bubbly 19-year-old girl and turning her into Generic Space Marine #9001" and that this investment means you take great offense to what you see as undermining it.

With that said, you don't respect the position of someone saying Gentleman Cho'Gath undermines the bestial prowess and alien unstoppability of Cho'Gath, and by extension I would assume that of Piltover Customs Heimerdinger destroys the scientific genius of Heimer.

To me it's just bizarre, because if I don't like something I just wont buy it, I still have options available to me; why do I deserve more skins that >I< want, at the cost of people with different tastes liking something? Especially when I know there are people saying this would be the first skin they would actually -want- to buy and then play Lux.

Would you be fine if it were more sci-fi than sci-fi army?

SlumlordThanatos

12-15-2012

Quote:
Spiku:
I have to say that's no real arguement there as far as the skin differences. Saying that Steel Legion takes away bubbly Lux, but that Anivia not being frosty, isn't, doesn't add up. Why can't she be bubbly while wearing the armour? She looks pretty angry in her military uniform splash art, but she's still fruity lux in that costume. Minute Man Gangplank is far, far from Piratey in concept because that means he's working for an imperial navy, but he's still going to be Plank in game. Why does Lux being in light power armour stop her being bubbly?

Yet Surfer singed doesn't detract from singed's character? Why is Nurse Akali, or Crimson Elite Riven not a massive issue then? Those are not suited to their characters. There is no "simple" in the argument you put forth as it doesn't really stand up to fair scrutiny when looking at the precedence in other skins.

Now, you suggest military related which is the only fair part of your statements; but they've all been distinct styles; modern, Damacian, and now future; and you still have 3 options for caster silly lux without that, which is already more than some characters have.

Now I'm certainly not trying to be contentious, but it honestly seems to be that you have a great fondness for the personality and character of Lux when you say "you are taking a bubbly 19-year-old girl and turning her into Generic Space Marine #9001" and that this investment means you take great offense to what you see as undermining it.

With that said, you don't respect the position of someone saying Gentleman Cho'Gath undermines the bestial prowess and alien unstoppability of Cho'Gath, and by extension I would assume that of Piltover Customs Heimerdinger destroys the scientific genius of Heimer.

To me it's just bizarre, because if I don't like something I just wont buy it, I still have options available to me; why do I deserve more skins that >I< want, at the cost of people with different tastes liking something? Especially when I know there are people saying this would be the first skin they would actually -want- to buy and then play Lux.

Would you be fine if it were more sci-fi than sci-fi army?

To answer your final question first, yes, I totally would be. (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2879796)

But Gentleman Cho'Gath and Piltover Customs Heimerdinger aren't really good examples to give. Gentleman Cho'Gath is far enough away from the gritty monster he began as to be funny. Surfer Singed is much the same, as is Toy Soldier Gangplank. Crimson Elite Riven is still Riven while she served Noxus, Nurse Akali is fan service. And Heimerdinger is a tinkerer as much as he is a scientist. He's an inventor, right? Becoming a mechanic isn't much of a stretch.

Also, we have two options for "caster silly Lux", her default skin doesn't really count. And of those two skins, neither are really very good.

Of her past two skins, we have "armored Military" and "Star Wars Military." Now we're getting "Futuristic Armored Military." Riot could have possibly made that work, but they made the armor bulky, ugly, and worst of all, dull. The fact that this is the third time they've gone in this direction doesn't help, either.

Our point is, Lux doesn't have an amazing skin, and their attempt to give us one isn't working because they are taking away from what she is.

Loraw

12-15-2012

Honestly, I love League. But Lux has been one of my favorite champions of all time since forever. If Riot could please release a Lux skin where the Laser has a color change or animation change, I would buy it 100x over. If they just updated the old skins with different Spell Animations, I would buy those too. A simple recolor of her ult now I would buy, let alone a complete animation overhaul to make it a Laser dropped from the sky or giant explosion for Commando Lux. <----- This stuff makes money.

Edit: This is coming from an extremely well paying customer. I love this game so much.. <3