Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to Sign up for PBE ??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinDelMarr

12-13-2012

Will you eventually implement a feature where if you don't use the PBE, you lose privelage? I know personally I don't use it much anymore, just because there is no presssure to keep using it. Also when I first joined PBE, I initially thought you had to post bugs or else you didn't get a stipend. Now that I know that there is no physical requirement, I haven't posted a bug since May. You can use me as an example of players almost cheating PBE's intention because there's no stipulation on what I can and have to do (since It appears I'm the type of PBE user you want to Limit).

Also, is there the possibility of connecting PBE accounts to main accounts? So someone who signs up has to register their main account with it? That way player's actions on PBE reflect their main account. So someone who is toxic on the PBE and gets reported have the potential to have their PBE actions put up on the Tribunal with their normal ones, and vice-versa. Even have a requirement to join PBE, like 5 months of active time on your main account with no Tribunal in the past few months

The question that needs to be asked is how far will Riot go to protect the true intention of PBE? Requiring bug reports could flood PBE forum with bogus reports, to the point that having rioters supervise all actions could be too costly. Basically PBE currently is a free way to try out future content, where you have the option of reporting bugs and making the game a better place if you want to. Maybe Riot needs to limit PBE membership by month, tie PBE to main accounts, to say you have to do certains things to retain privelage. Limiting toxicity is a great place to start

Ceratinly something to think about

Edit: I want to add that when i use PBE I am on the lookout for Bugs and glitches. maybe not to extent Riot would want, but I do remain vigilant in case a problem arises. I have helped in the testing of a potential bug, but I do admit that my intentions aren't always to find problems (see Season 3 Patch).

Arcolyte

Recruiter

12-13-2012

Quote:
Kades:
Yes.

I agree. We're exploring some creative ideas to make reporting bugs easier for you, find better incentives for good behavior on the PBE, remove toxic players, and remove the strain of testing in the first place (such as long ques).

Honestly, I don't think good behavior should be incentivized much more than it is on PBE, you get to try out all the new toys, see and help shape the game we presumably love. Bad behavior should be severely punished though. The rage and whining is unpleasent to deal with, and of course there is the queue... makes it impossible to even put up the effort to wait 2 hours+ to get on.

Dreampod

12-13-2012

I hope when you do reopen things you associate the PBE account with a Live Service account to give some real accountability. Also this would let you transfer some rewards for play to our Live accounts which would increase the variety of players who can afford to extensively test for you. Right now, despite having all the champions, I still want to accumulate IP for new champions and runes (my god energy runes are EXPENSIVE) which means that every game I play on the PBE is losing me IP for my main account. If you gave us a 10-win boost on our Live account for every 10 wins we get on the PBE it would go a long way towards allowing those of us who want to help out do so without putting ourselves too far behind (I think it would be 60-70% of the IP we would have earned) and is not really exploitable.

ploki122

12-13-2012

Quote:
Dreampod:
I hope when you do reopen things you associate the PBE account with a Live Service account to give some real accountability. Also this would let you transfer some rewards for play to our Live accounts which would increase the variety of players who can afford to extensively test for you. Right now, despite having all the champions, I still want to accumulate IP for new champions and runes (my god energy runes are EXPENSIVE) which means that every game I play on the PBE is losing me IP for my main account. If you gave us a 10-win boost on our Live account for every 10 wins we get on the PBE it would go a long way towards allowing those of us who want to help out do so without putting ourselves too far behind (I think it would be 60-70% of the IP we would have earned) and is not really exploitable.

Honestly, I beg to differ on this... I think that implementing "live rewards" for PBE would simply increase the noise in there, especially if it's focused on wins. Right now, the big incentives to join is :
1) Freeness (stipends)
2) Exclusivity (early content)
3) Requital (bugtesting)

Right now, if we would scale everyone based on their usefulness from 1 to 10, #1 would attract 1-7, #2 would attract 1-9 and #3 attracts 5-10. Meaning that the distribution of people that should lean toward a normal distribution, actually leans a bit toward toxic. What this causes is that toxic players, who already affects the others in a very strong way, mostly because a bad players makes a bad game where a nice player can't singlehandedly create a nice game, appears to be a lot more present than they actually are. If you had a live benefit to PBE, it would increase by a ton the number of toxic player going there only for the reward (see the Tribunal effect).

Also, I think that the more you go up that usefulness scale (although this is a semi-wild guess), the less the players actually play on Live servers. I would consider myself a ~8-8.5 and honestly, I only go to live to play with friends or chat with some guys from my buddy list or the forum (using chat rooms). So basically, I would see so little use to a Live-boost that I would actually prefer, by a lot, a forum badge, or a PBE-only summoner icon/loading screen trim/glitter/etc..

Quote:
Arcolyte:
Honestly, I don't think good behavior should be incentivized much more than it is on PBE, you get to try out all the new toys, see and help shape the game we presumably love. Bad behavior should be severely punished though. The rage and whining is unpleasent to deal with, and of course there is the queue... makes it impossible to even put up the effort to wait 2 hours+ to get on.

In the same way, I think that honestly they can make bug-testing much easier... Like you mentioned, the fact the PBE is plagued doesn't make it worth the 2 hours (on average periods, since it can grow to 6+) to log in.. But what if there were no queues at all? Then maybe the numbers of players who are there only for the free stuff would still log-in, because they can't do the same on live, but those that are there to help might feel tat they don't have to wait for all that time to go report something that they don't even directly benefit of. And I used the queue as an example, but it basically applies to every single special aspects of the PBE (stipends, early content, etc.)

logandune

12-13-2012

i have a question sorry i know you've probably heard this before but would and could it be possible to do a two system pbe have two servers one for anyone to join on the certain dates that are given but then have the second server only for invitation for players in pbe who have shown activity in seeking out bugs, the only reason i think the invitation will not work is then your removing a lot of newer players that might want to help find bugs in pbe but cant because they never had the chance to report bugs because they joined later ik you guys are looking for a system to fix the abuse but i personally think that the new idea would eliminate a lot of fresh eyes

TheHat27

12-14-2012

Quote:
Kades:
Yes.

I agree. We're exploring some creative ideas to make reporting bugs easier for you, find better incentives for good behavior on the PBE, remove toxic players, and remove the strain of testing in the first place (such as long ques).

I have two suggestions:

1. This is the simple one: You cannot join the PBE if you have been banned/suspended by the tribunal within the last 6 months and you must already have a level 30 account.

2. PBE tiers. There could be different tiers of things that need to be tested, tier 1 for example could be things like items, bug splats, and just trying to recreate bugs that other people on the PBE and Live have had happen.
Tier 2 could be things like the new content after it is in almost working beta, as in just before going Live, in addition to the tier 1 stuff. Possibly new items as well.
And Tier 3 could be where all the fun stuff would be, and would take a long history to be upgraded to tier 3 with a Rioter having to manually set your to Tier 3. This would be things such as new champs when just released to the PBE (so, like in Alpha) and areas, items, and even stuff that you guys are just trying just to see what happens. For example reworks and things like the item I read about in another thread that converted your AP into AD to see a wider range of opinions.
There could even be a kind of Tier 3 log in screen that all Red's can edit and ask players to try out, and even make it under a form of contract so you aren't allowed to leak anything in the Tier 3(I mean, I've known about Vi sense Nami came out, which was awesome but I feel there should be more of a surprise for new champs). You could still test most things in custom and bot matches, so it's not like you would have to interact with the lower tier's when testing things.

(Also, I want a PBE account lol)

TheHat27

12-16-2012

Bump?

IS1dd97843c55b5ab2db12a

12-16-2012

Watch out for people on other servers, though, Riot. Everyone deserves to help shape the game if they know enough english and are willing to contribute, IMO. Don't restrict everything to NA.

shadowehawke

12-22-2012

I'm not sure if it matters, but I was attracted by the "free stuff" factor I later learned it would be for bug testing. I'm not the person to try out everything in every situation determined to find bugs, but if I should encounter one I would look it up in the forums and see if anyone else has it. If not, I would post. I just wouldn't go out testing every single scenario of a champ/skin and looking for some glitches.

Hivin

01-11-2013

I have heard you can i sign up on the first secound and third of any month.

Is this true