Who Does Darius Counter Top Lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NinjaCalibur

12-12-2012

I've played Darius a long while but I've never really thought about who he counters top lane. Most champions can counter opposing champions and are often picked to do so. I even pick specific top lane champs to counter other ones.
The thing is though, when I think about Darius I don't think about using him to counter a specific champ because I don't really see Darius countering too many champions. Not to say he is bad in lane. It's more the opposite really. I pick Darius because I know I can hold my own in lane. I pick him for his play style in lane and in team fights. But I never really pick him because I saw an enemy pick a specific top laner and decided "OH! OH! TIME TO COUNTER WITH DARIUS!". I simply pick Darius as top lane based on what my team comp is set up to be, and if I feel like playing Darius' play style.

So I ask all of you... Do any of you use Darius to counter opposing top laners?
And who do you think Darius can counter?

r0achtheamazing

12-12-2012

I think everything about this champ was designed specifically to fight Riven because people complained Riven was too powerful in top lane with few counters. Wouldn't be surprised if a good riven beats him anyway though, I never tried that match up.

Nea De Penserhir

12-12-2012

Zombie Brand.

Because zombies don't haz brains.

NinjaCalibur

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0achtheamazing View Post
I think everything about this champ was designed specifically to fight Riven because people complained Riven was too powerful in top lane with few counters. Wouldn't be surprised if a good riven beats him anyway though, I never tried that match up.
I hear Darius beats Riven. But I would have to say, if I think about it... a smart Riven player may be able to harass Darius far better than he could harass her. Her shield can negate his bleeding if I'm correct. And her flips, knock back, stun and mobility help her with harassing and escaping with her dodge.
But then again, a smart Darius would harass with Q, allow Riven to get in range with her knock back combo and stun, pull her back in, W her, auto attack, Q again. And too many stacks makes her an easy kill from an ult. His Q has more range than her combo and her stun. And her dodge. And his E pull has more range than all her moves as well. Including her dodge. And his slow would make her escaping difficult. And her combo requiring getting too close to Darius doesn't bode well for her.

Crimson5pheonix

12-12-2012

As best I can tell, he's a tank buster. Tank getaways are not the best and some of them can backfire (note to Shen, don't taunt Darius). Passive ArPen and a true damage ult just screams "screw you tank!"

NinjaCalibur

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson5pheonix View Post
As best I can tell, he's a tank buster. Tank getaways are not the best and some of them can backfire (note to Shen, don't taunt Darius). Passive ArPen and a true damage ult just screams "screw you tank!"
I have to agree with you there. And that kind of makes me realize something. I do tend to feel much more confident about which lanes I will win based on the champion picks and often find it easier when I lane against tanks. Early game tanks are not all that tanky at all. And Darius can shred them apart just that much easier. A tank in lane vs a Darius is a tank that won't be having a good time.

EndOmega

12-13-2012

Darius IS technically a Riven counter, however if the Riven is good enough they can beat out a Darius with hit and run tactics using her Dash and Q.

He does well against alot of the tankier tops such as Shen and Irelia because of his magic damage bleed and by abusing the fact that in the first few levels he is just as tanky as they are, plus his ArmPen once he gets his pull.

Also Akali because of the fact that in Pre-6 she isnt at full potential and his Q can strike her entire sheath.

Thubgar

12-13-2012

tanks, as mentioned. but not all tops are meant to counter. some really are just there to be fairly solid blind picks.

C2K123

12-13-2012

That's odd, because itv seems like Malphite counters Darius with that Seismic poke.

CerealBoxOfDoom

12-13-2012

Darius doesn't counter anyone because there are no explicit counters in the game hurrhurr

Basically champs like malphite and riven, while they can kill him, can't actually force a good darius to do horribly.Basically, darius gets two chances to do well, one that the toplaner has some control over and one that the enemy toplaner has little control over. These chances are his laning phase and the teamfight phase. He can fill his team role by getting a few kills and building for the occasion. You can be a complete flop in the laning phase and have your team set up a second chance.

It seems to me, oddly enough, that darius is not very well suited for a "go getter team" that tries to aim for a fast endgame before darius falls off. Though this is just based on the tournament teams he's been successful in, he only ever seems to win in protect the carry comps like the one's orianna and skarner tend to be in. Rather than chasing the enemies around you pressure the otherteam and force them to attack or watch you as you collect resources and objectives. A very slow game that has lasted up to 4 hours long before is caused by this way of playing.

Note that in the world finals azubu blaze took a hot steaming **** on this strategy and forced a strong earlygame to become too big an advantage to recover from which is probably a sign of why darius doesn't seem to win much. He is fitted for a team strategy with a fast paced gamestyle that riot has a preference for. But he himself happens to do most of his handiwork early or midgame then spends the rest looking for somewhere to put his damage when his team grabs something. In teamfights you'll notice that champs like riven and malphite can't fight him like they could in the laning phase, this suprises alot of people who won the lane even if darius isn't fed, often because they got fed and thought theyd kill him because they built all offense. Riven can beat him in lane but in a teamfight riven can't rush in and wreck face even if fed because darius can do a ton of true damage wether itll kill or not. You can just wait for him to get out of position after the enemy initiates cuz darius sucks at teamfighting but if its a team that doesnt need to initiate you and truck through to objectives every ten seconds, darius can just zone you and keep any wannabe tanks like singed and chogath from initiating even when in the laning phase they **** on him.This is in a way, countering. The presence of darius can stop certain champs, especially melee fighters, from doing certain special surrogate functions. He's actually better at this than olaf since he can do all his true damage at once and is expected to go all in once he engages.

Darius, though he builds tanky, shouldn't be wandering alone I also noticed. Hard to counter a teamfight strategy if your team isn't around.

Examples
malphite - lane can go either way, but malphite will get ripped a new one if he tries to initiate though whoever follows up may be the first target instead. Malphite seems like a really strong bursty tank but in reality he's a melee fighter with alot of damage over time which can be shut off suddenly especially if darius can displace him after avoiding his initiate
Nasus- nasus can no longer ignore the damage, slow someone and just pwn their face off while under towers. Darius will combo him and force him into executioner mastery range so his team can kill nasus though most darius's save the ult for a "kill secure" though ironically its more secure if you strike the iron while its hot and accept a cooldown sometimes
chogath- When chogath can't ignore you he can't pretend to be a tank. Its that simple. Darius doesn't necessarily win this lane or kill him in teamfights but darius is a threat at all points in the game. Look at olaf, he can be a threat but if he gets shut down he will have to worry about all that can happen between each burst of true damage and sustained dps. Look at riven. Similar problem. Darius just dumps on you and hopes his team finishes the job which is a legit strategy