Shaco and Season 3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

12-11-2012

Hey all,

I am an avid shaco player. Just love his play style, and I love jungling (aslong as I have a team that understands I can't physically be everywhere at once.) I am not a pro. Nor has ranked interested me at all until this season. There was some background for you 'LOLOL you have no ELO nub - you thread invalid' scrubs.

I play shaco super aggressively. Yep, weird thing to say, your an assasin, what you are suppose to do. By this I mean counter jungling. Like a boss. I am always in the enemy jungle hunting down their jungler or any enemy who happens to be out of lane. I am aware this is risky. But i like the risk/ reward play style, especially with the new jungle. I feel counter jungling as shaco has become easier, and more rewarding. If it pays of, you snowball like a mofo. On the flip side, if it doesn't, you are punished harsher. Those are just my opinions.

Moving on to my questions. With season 3 and all the new sparkly items, where does this put shaco? Is he unchanged? What new items would you pick over the old existing cookie cutter build.

I run these runes.

Red: Flat dmg or a mix of flat dmg and armpen.
Yellow: Armor
Blue: Mres.
Quints: att dmg.

Masteries 21/9/0. I find the points in defence help me counter jungle more efficiently.

Now onto items.

Season 2. (most used builds)
Boots/ Pots - Wriggles - Boots2(Mobility or Zerk) - BF Sword - IE - PD - GA
Boots/Pots - Wriggles - Boots2(Mobility or Zerk) - HexDrinker - PD - GA

Season 3.

Few items that interest me and I have been using.

Statikk Shiv - Gret A/S Crit and Movement speed. Also gives nice burst and helps farm.
Mercurical Scimitar - V nice damage and Mres with a nifty activate to help survivability.
Black Cleaver - Well its Black cleaver. Duh.

Items not yet tested but want opinions on.

Zephyr - Small amount of damage nice A/S, movement speed and CD reduction. Also Nice amount of tenacity.
BotRK - Good against Health stackers but i seriosuly cant ever see myself building this. Anyone used it?
Spirit of Elder Lizard - this instead of wriggles? Then perhaps pick up some lifesteal elsewhere?

Weird outside the box items.

Twin shadows - used it a couple times, nice mres and ability power for shiv. I use against squishy teams. My logic is this... shaco(assasin) towards end game can make mince meat of ap squishies. Simply pop the active, find one, assasinate. There team is constantly a man down.

Now, I suppose the question is, are any of these items worth of replacing the classic cookie cutter items? I know that scenario plays a big part. But for instance would you go Spirit of elder lizard over Wriggles? Would you get your A/S from Statikk shiv or stay true to PD?

Also I would like to hear other opinions o nthe items I have not yet tried.

#Discuss.

TL;DR I love shaco. Cookie cutter build works of Zerks, Wriggles, IE, PD, GA. Are any of the S3 items worthy of replacing any items? Spirit of Elder Lizard instead of Wriggles? Statikk Shiv instead of PD? If its not broke dont fix it applies? Few other questions and out of the box ideas are above if people careto read.

Hai Im Luna

12-11-2012

sup man kinda new here only been playin for about 4 months now, but ive been doing some extremely serious shaco testing over the past two weeks prob have put in about 5 hours a day at least playin alot with our fav. jester. jw if you would post your findings and ill post mine a fun burst build ive been running uses the new sword of the divine and IE plus the crit damage mastery and 10 percent crit damage runes makes ur decieve do so much damage also with swoftd active ur clone gets it to meaning u can decieve in first hit does 290% pop clone and swoftd active gives you another 6 crits in a row at 270%. then just build from there.

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

12-11-2012

Hey dude. Thanks for replying and sharing. Sounds like a fun build, will give it a go tonight when I get home from work!

So far I have just been playing super aggressively counter jungling. Normally picking up FB on their jungler.

A build I am using alot is Zerk Greaves, Wriggles, Statikk Shiv, Black Cleaver. Havent put in as much play time or testing as you have, but it seems to work. Focus the squishies or isolated players and you normally come out on top. A lot of shacos game is in when to initiate, positioning and disengage.

I do like the twin shadows items that I have been messing with though. Allowing you a homing ward every 2 mins to catch people out and assasinate them. Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Judas Priest

12-11-2012

Post a TL;DR quote, this wall of text is too much if we have no guarantee it will be worth reading.

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Judas View Post
Post a TL;DR quote, this wall of text is too much if we have no guarantee it will be worth reading.
Done good sir.

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

12-11-2012

Shameless bump for shaco love!

MrVigglesworth

12-11-2012

I play Shaco a lot (he's my main), but have been focusing on mid lane since the new patch released. The few games I have played Shaco, I've noticed my traditional build isn't nearly what it used to be. Part of me wonders if I need to adjust my play style to fit the new jungle (although level 2 ganks are more than realistic still) and part of me wonders if it's my build.

I'm going to mess around with the new items and check back in with some thoughts. I do like the idea of rolling with a Twin Shadow. The biggest problem with Shaco is his lack of cc outside of the JitB. Having a slow like that will make Shaco one helluva counter jungler/late game ganker especially with the red buff.

For a frame of reference, my typical build goes:
boots + 3 > maldreds > wriggles > boots of mob (I still think the map control > the AS from greaves) > ie or black cleave (or trinity if I need sustain) > pd (go black cleaver or IE if I went infinity) > ga

I'm also curious to see how sword of the divine, statik shiv and mercurcial work into the build as well. I will say, black clever has it's place in a lot of different build trees, that's for sure.

Hai Im Luna

12-11-2012

hey man def will try out the twin shadows im glad to see people have been playin around with shaco as much as i have lately.....if only they would make him tournament viable . When u go for first blood do u just wait in the bushes at red or whats ur strat for that....im curious because counter jungling is prob my main glaring shaco weakness. Ill also try to play around with the twin shadows looks fun .
1. btw have tried black clever on him its boss but normally i dont get to that cuz its usually the 5th or 6th item i put on him and when im shaco i try not to let things go that long
2. to the OP if u would like to add me "LunaticDarkchild" it would be nice to talk to someone and compare starts etc. hmu lemme know (also have 4-5 peeps i play with on the reg for fun we have skype and raidcall

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVigglesworth View Post
I play Shaco a lot (he's my main), but have been focusing on mid lane since the new patch released. The few games I have played Shaco, I've noticed my traditional build isn't nearly what it used to be. Part of me wonders if I need to adjust my play style to fit the new jungle (although level 2 ganks are more than realistic still) and part of me wonders if it's my build.

I'm going to mess around with the new items and check back in with some thoughts. I do like the idea of rolling with a Twin Shadow. The biggest problem with Shaco is his lack of cc outside of the JitB. Having a slow like that will make Shaco one helluva counter jungler/late game ganker especially with the red buff.

For a frame of reference, my typical build goes:
boots + 3 > maldreds > wriggles > boots of mob (I still think the map control > the AS from greaves) > ie or black cleave (or trinity if I need sustain) > pd (go black cleaver or IE if I went infinity) > ga

I'm also curious to see how sword of the divine, statik shiv and mercurcial work into the build as well. I will say, black clever has it's place in a lot of different build trees, that's for sure.
Thanks dude, look forward to your findings. I will play about and get back to you. I play on EUW as from the UK but I prefer the Maerican forums for some reason when it comes to advice. Don't know why. ha!

IS195480cc341bd7c7105ee

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticDarkchild View Post
hey man def will try out the twin shadows im glad to see people have been playin around with shaco as much as i have lately.....if only they would make him tournament viable . When u go for first blood do u just wait in the bushes at red or whats ur strat for that....im curious because counter jungling is prob my main glaring shaco weakness. Ill also try to play around with the twin shadows looks fun .
1. btw have tried black clever on him its boss but normally i dont get to that cuz its usually the 5th or 6th item i put on him and when im shaco i try not to let things go that long
2. to the OP if u would like to add me "LunaticDarkchild" it would be nice to talk to someone and compare starts etc. hmu lemme know (also have 4-5 peeps i play with on the reg for fun we have skype and raidcall
Sorry dude I play on EUW. I will however record a game and try to explain my start. I will send it to you.