Support Annie

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anrian Dayin

10-12-2010

I've been playing annie a lot lately and as her ap scaling is only so so I have been thinking of some new builds that could be more useful.

Since the main thing Annie brings to the table is her stun the main focus of my build is to keep me alive while I throw out stuns and damage, while also giving auras to my team to keep them out pushing longer.

I know this seems counter-intuitive but I've played both the traditional rylai + rod of ages build and have done about the same. Meaning a 7 to 1 kill to death ratio or better. Of course with a good team I get way more assists with this build.

This post is more for pro and con discussion right now since I've only just started testing the build.

This is normally what I end up with before the team surrenders at twenty five or is beaten in twenty seven (I don't give this build credit for that, but every game with it has been that way):

Innervating locket, sorcerers shoes, starks fervor, will of the ancients

And the last two depend on the team. lots of cc and magic banshee and aegis. If they are stacking magic resis get abyssal scepter, if they have lots of physical dps I thought about getting omen...and if nothing else rylai's scepter is never bad.

Either way by this point the hp you get from your items, your shield, and your stun should let you get out of or live through almost anything. You and your allies attacks and abilities will restore their life, and you should have enough mana regen aura to keep you and your team fighting.

I 've gone clarity and flash, but clarity could be replaced with another without much pain, I like it for when I'm fighting golem early level.

anyways, comments? Suggestions? Random statements?

xavarn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

This build would be utterly useless, you are better off playing taric if thats what you are going to build.

Captain Dildac

10-12-2010

would be utterly useless? Didn't he just say he has won games with it? Taric is a great support but annie has an AoE stun thats very devastating when used right. Stacking AP items is not the ONLY way to make her effective this build sounds fine if you got a premade or a team that knows how your playing her and dosent count her towards the teams primary damage.

FireFa11

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

You are 1 stun short of being useless. Annie has 3 nukes. Why would you not build her as a nuker? AP Ashe has more utility than support Annie. She has a clairvoyance, a slow, and a stun. Annie's ratios are low because her skills are spammable.

A Starks Fervor, how selfless. (read: stupid) The attack speed doesn't do anything for you. And what are the advantages of a locket instead of RoA or Banshees? I will throw in 2 Warmogs and make Annie a Support Tank, rendering Taric obselete. (Making use of E as well)

Diomedea

10-12-2010

I used to run tanky Annie a long, long time ago. RoA, Frozen Heart, Abyssal, Rylai's stuff like that. You get beefy, get some damage, and some auras while getting items that still make sense for you.

As far as making Annie an aura bot, there's many champions that are better for that job, and still have some utility besides spamming stuns. Plus, I don't see how going the traditional AP route prevents you from spamming stuns like you want to.

Zielmann

10-12-2010

Annie is at her best when played as a caster. As was mentioned, she has three nukes. And has to use up a number of them in order to get a stun off. Her stun isn't on a single cooldown, like Taric's or Sion's (or any other stun, really). She has to cast spells before she gets a stun. Which means she has to cast multiple spells anyhow. Why not make those spells hit like a truck while you're at it?

And also, there's no reason Annie can't be a caster that can survive things. Actually, a glass-cannon Annie is far less scary than one with slightly less AP but far more survivability. So just try building her as a thick caster.

Building her for utility purposes is countered by a single, fairly inexpensive, and extremely common item: Merc Treads. You're doing so little damage that when you blow your full combo on them, they'll just laugh off the damage. And the merc treads make the stuns less worthwhile.

Anrian Dayin

10-12-2010

@xavarn I haven't lost a game yet doing this build so I would hardly say it is useless. Sure that could have just been bad teams I played against, but still it makes it hard to dispute. Also, I got the most assists in every game, least deaths in most of them(stupid zil beat me in one because of his ult), and i was in the top three in kills.

Her AP scaling is +0.6/+0.6/+0.5/+0.7 I believe. Which is why most builds don't stack AP, they go for mainly magic penetration, AP secondary. (+80 ap will only come out to +48 damage with most of her spells...without counting their magic resistance)

From what I've noticed, if you play annie right she is not item based in the least. Which means I might as well help my team with them rather than myself. I am far enough back with my attacks that most attacks can't get through the life I get from the items when my shield is up. Also, the stun will buy you time if you ever do need it.

I can still pretty much stun burst anyone down before the stun wears off, so the AP isn't really needed unless it is a tank or someone with high magic resist or life...but it will get them running pretty quickly. The difference is that you don't play the normal running around by yourself annie that picks up cheap kills and you help push ending the game 20 to 30 minutes earlier from what I've seen.

From what I've noticed it makes the end team fights way easy, because unlike taric, sivir, or other support characters, Annie has an aoe stun that can easily turn the tide of any fight.

As with anything there are weaknesses. I realize I usually have to target people that are missing a little bit of life to burst them down, but that's how most champions play anyways.

Pros
Allied Champions will do better in team battles
All your enemies will have reduced magic resistance
You still have your aoe stun
You end up with a little more life usually than with the other builds
Mana Regen/Health Regen and lifesteal/spellvamp
Survivability(since as support you wont normally flash in to initiate or anything like that, you wait for them to come a bit too close)

Cons
A bit less DPS
A little more team dependent maybe(which is almost okay because they will all get the boost from you being there)
You have to be more careful of your team getting flanked...ie use wards and/or elixers
A bit less total mana(but from what I've noticed as long as I went with innervating locket over soul shroud I never ran out of mana during a battle)

Anrian Dayin

10-12-2010

@firefa11 You still use your abilities. You do slightly less damage in exchange for your team doing a lot more. You still get your stuns, and you still pretty much kill most champions with your stun burst combo. As far as RoA, it's great with annie, I've used it a lot...but the locket gives the mana/health regen aura which helps your team. I haven't needed the extra mana you get from RoA yet with this build.

I have not run into a game yet that the opposing team wasn't afraid to run up to me. It doesn't matter if Annie stacks AP, she still hits really hard.

I agree though, starks may not be the best choice. I am still ironing things out as far as what works best. I think that I want to fit rylai's scepter into the build fro the slow, health, and ap...also banshee's is always a good choice...but from what I've seen so far I can usually survive plenty long enough for my team to get there and stop a few guys that rush me, as long as I am near the team where support champs usually should be.

Thanks for the comments though. A lot of good points so far.

FireFa11

10-12-2010

But Annie is item dependent. Everyone is. This isn't DoTA where spells don't scale and you hit max potential at level 7. Mejai on her is as good as Occult on Trist. Deathfire on her is as good as Ghostblade on Yi. Rylai on her is as good as Frozen Mallet on Olaf.

Annie's ratios are very high. 0.6 on Disintegrate beats 1.0 on Alistar's Pulverize, because cooldown is 3 times shorter. And without building AP you'll reach your peak at level 13 and get very weak after that. You shouldn't build her as the aura [female dog]. Locket benefits allies next to nothing in this patch. Starks is better in someone else's hands, don't even think about double stacking. Will of the Ancients is okay but still somewhat lacking. That leaves you with Sorc shoes. Why not just build AP and remind the enemy of what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Main point: Annie's "utility"= AOE Stun. The ONLY way to improve her utility is to max CDR to get moar stuns. An AP build involving Glacial Shroud, Mejai, Deathfire/Codex, and Blue Elixir will let you do just that.

For team utility consider an Abysmal when fighting vs high spell damage. I understand maybe a Soul Shroud, Shurelyas Reverie, Aegis, or Frozen Heart could benefit your team, but really thats Soraka and Tarics job. Yours is to instagib squishies. Annie is like Veigar. Remember that.

(Remember CLG vs Epik. Annie made Kog'MawGG explode. Phreak: "OHHH and Salce with Tibbers from behind, YOU SEXY MOTHER!!")

Anrian Dayin

10-12-2010

But I'm just saying it's a viable option. I agree, not all the items make sense with her, but I don't think that ap magic pen. Is the only build that works. Maybe I'll try out a hybrid build with it