ARAM strategies!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Realaz

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draktok View Post
We won a game last night due to them having an eve. ARAM brings a whole new meaning to eve being worthless.
Eve is actually more useful there than in normal games. Either stun someone so your teammate can line up a skill shot (Morg / Blitz come to mind) or stun that Ryze / SIvir who is cheeky enough to harass you under your own tower, making them take tower hits.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

ga is fine. its funny how butthurt everybody gets about it. its pretty much garbage after the nerf. for aram it certainly is anyway. whenever somebody builds it, i always laugh.

Pie Delivery

10-12-2010

Get Taric, Soraka or Alistair.

Win the game.

Anketh

10-12-2010

Maximizing auras has always been a key to aram victory in my book. One of my favorite aram characters to play is aura TF (Boots, Starks, Emblem, MM/SS/Pendant, Aegis, Will, etc.). His ultimate may not be effective for much in aram, but the ability to bring that lovely stack of teamwide buffs back into the fray in half the time is a lifesaver.

At the very least, make sure one party member has a MM, and another an Emblem. 95% of the time, they will be worth the investment.

IamGrimm

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draktok View Post
wards are actually immune to magic damage, which is the troll part
Correct.
The ward soaks up his Malefic Visions and since wards are immune to magic it strongly reduces his farming.
This strategy works outside of ARAM too, ofcourse.

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

I guess I'm one of the few who also has a NO SUCIDING rule.

Anketh

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekweezul View Post
I guess I'm one of the few who also has a NO SUCIDING rule.
Quite possibly. "No suiciding" is a hard rule to enforce, given that your full health tower dive can backfire on you rather quickly if the lone enemy champion is packing a flash (or some other handy escape method) and doesn't stay to fight; accidents (and greed) happen.

Geekweezul

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anketh View Post
Quite possibly. "No suiciding" is a hard rule to enforce, given that your full health tower dive can backfire on you rather quickly if the lone enemy champion is packing a flash (or some other handy escape method) and doesn't stay to fight; accidents (and greed) happen.
It's actually been followed very well. Most people have seemed smart enough to know whether it was a suicide or a genuine attempt to get a kill.

I just don't get the point of allowing suicides. It's practically the same as recalling...just takes a little longer.

KingoftheCoopahs

10-12-2010

HUGE WALL OF TEXT OMG. TL;DR: make a preset mastery set for aram and use champ selection to analyze teamcomps and determine the teams are generally equal. suiciding is fine as long as they don't leave middle lane. GOGO FULL VERSION NOW.

you should always have at least 9 in utility for clarity mastery and exp boost, and 1 in defense for healing mastery. the most common setup is heal clarity. usually you'll use a default setup on masteries before you even see yoru character, because random gives you about 20 fewer seconds to set up your stuff. I personally go 0/9/21, taking heal CD reduction, 3% of your mana in hp regen, exp increase, mana regen, the usuals.

what you really do in aram champion selection is decide whether the game is worth playing or not. analyze the enemy team for poke vs your teams poke. what you're looking for is "how many long range ground-target/skillshot skills does the enemy have vs how many i have?" don't be fooled by things like malific visions and alpha strike, which are targeted spells but jump out of their caster's range to hit you. they count in that number. champions like janna, twisted fate, sivir, and other characters with lv 1 massive-distance unit penetrating skill shots are killers on ARAM. also, see how many completely useless characters you each have. characters with no ranged attacks whatsoever that must autoattack at closerange to deal damage, ie udyr, singed, evelynn.

other champions with one amazing skillshot can be very valuable too. nidalee can break games if she gets fed with spear tosses launched from out of their line of visibility. blitzcrank shreds the enemy if he lands a pull courtesy of everyone on your team. even urgot can be deadly in this playstyle. because his dagger's range practically doubles if you get hit with his poison.

if you are a healer: stay the hell back. your role as a healer is far more important than your role as a poker. soraka, don't silence the enemy unless everyone has full mana, dont' try to Q creeps unless your team is ahead of he creeps harassing/chasing. taric, your stun is not an initiator, your shatter is not a damage skill. keep the pdef up, keep the stun available for saving stupid teammates or stopping enemy ults. nidalee, don't overextend to get "that last spear toss". sona, you're amazing do whatever you want so long as you don't go within range of their CC. heimerdinger, stand there and be a regen aura while missile poking and walling with your turrets and take cosines of roots divided by, and know the restrictions of your missile's range/targeting vs your enemy's range.

if you determine that your team has an advantage, or at the very least doesnt' have a crippling disadvantage based on team composition, then go ahead and play it. i'm one of the few that will encourage you to dodge a game that has no poke or heals on your team. however, remember that even if your team is all melees, you can still do amazingly well. even with a bad earlygame, you can still demolish the enemy with some garen stuffs, amumu, xinzhao, etc. its a hard earlygame but its very easy to come back at lv 9+ and totally wreck the enemy squishies with their fancy poking power.

as for the no suiciding rule, i'm all for getting executed/humiliated so long as you dont' leave middle lane. there are invisible barriers you must respect. examples of legitimate humiliation:
enemy team is forced back, you stand in front of enemy minion wave and teammates then push up to deny enemys exp and let you die.
you skillshot the wraithes and sit there for an hour while the big wraith pokes you to death. you force the enemy behind their turret then stand in turret range before they can get to you to hit you. (note you cannot KILL the wraithes, as that is considered jungling and thus against one of the primary rules.)

these three methods give the enemy ample time to kill you. they either already tried and failed, and you're marketing on that, or you're standing around for 6+ seconds letting something neutral wail on you while they don't do anything to stop you from doing it.

the one thing i can't tollerate is the base push. once you've been forced back into your base, 1st turret and/or inhibitor down, the enemy runs to the top/bottom base turret and dies to that for an execution. this is not allowed as it involves leaving the invisible borders of the middle lane. the only reason an enemy champion can leave this boundary is if your team is breaking the rules by defending one of those turrets from creeps or has run there to attack the enemy, in which case on a one time permission i find it ok for one of them to execute themselves in fairness from my teammate being a cheater and the enemy successfully beating their cheating.

Bregan

10-12-2010

some things i've come across:

ap can be pretty beneficial to build, even on characters who are often considered better with ad items. for example, teemo. his mushrooms can really build up damage. however, mf is still MUCH better as her usual ad build, and she's pretty op in aram.

tankwick is bestwick. personally i start with regen pendent for staying power, build razor, then sunfire, then maybe negatron cloak or finish bloodrazor, then fon, then more sunfires.

eve is NOT useless, you just have another melee character on the team. if they buy wards, dont be stupid about it and think you can charge in and surprise them. if they dont buy wards, you can pretty easily be effective as any build at all. sunfire eve can be effective if they dont have wards or oracles, or they've run out. eve takes positioning, timing, and seizing opportunity.

always try to last hit. yes its a pain with 5 people doing it and all the chaos and harassment, but the money still matters.

whoever the idiot was that said dont buy boots, thats just suicide. gtfo. always buy boots. merc treads is always nice, even if its just for the mr since most people are putting out a ton of magic damage.

health and mana regen are your friends. mana manip is always nice on somebody, but dont force your healer or mages to get it, let them get their own mana regen ON TOP of that so they can always be happy and healthy. if you're packing a ton of clarities, you can acceptably skip that. if you are a melee character, i strongly suggest health regen, even if you dont ever build anything from it. i recommend regen pendent over doran's shield because its not that hard to just hang back and regen, but its longer with a dorans. i even get a health regen pendent on vlad because his q is such a long cd at low levels.

if you are a tank (shen, rammus, etc) dont use aram as an excuse to go ap. in rare occasions the other team is not given a typical tank, so if you guys survive to lategame, you will have a definitive edge.

if they have skillshots, DODGE!!!!!

if they have characters like ryze or zilean, DONT MOVE FORWARD, HANG BACK, STAY AWAY FROM NEARBY TEAMMATES. try to stay in exp range if your minions are going to kill something, but dont sacrifice half your health for one minion kill, and dont put your team in danger either. be away of your positioning.

if you have 2 skill shots on the same team (example: morgana and blitz) stay on opposite sides of the lane. if you are both on the same side, the enemies can all bunch on the other side behind their minions. by splitting, they have a smaller safezone. if your team has any aoe (nasus, etc) try to zone them into the open so you can snag them.

if they have a bunch of minions and they are pushing the tower, DONT FOCUS THEM, FOCUS THE MINIONS TO FORCE THEM AWAY. with a ton of minions, you'll be taking a ton of damage via that call for help thing.

auras are your friends. aegis, starks (the regen alone is worth it), will of the ancients (the spell vamp is amazing for caster teams. its small, but it really adds up)

any motion on the stones of base is acceptable. suiciding, running and hiding behind bot/top turret, whatever. attacking the minions going down there, its fine. once you're down the steps and on the dirt, you can only go a certain distance to the side. for example AT the stairs area, you cant go past the 3 trees on the wall if you below the stairs. in dead center mid, you can walk onto the water, but you cant go into the bushes.

i'll post more if i can think of anything.