"I'm 1st pick so fk u"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pr0jectseph

12-10-2012

...do you know how many times I have heard this?(or similar)

Why can't people learn that:

A: Every person has a (20%) chance to get 1st pick. (Unless grouped, in which case the leader absorbs both %'s to get a 40%+ chance)

...it does NOT mean you are the highest elo.

B: First picking a mid is a great way to get countered.

..which funnily enough, if you WERE, in fact, a high elo...you'd probably already realize this..

I had to dodge 2x games now. And score a 1 hour ban because people telling me there is some kind of "Pecking order".

Freaking ridiculous.

adc

12-10-2012

I find it funny that you've supposedly read the summoner's code when the summoner's code clearly says that first pick gets first pick of the heroes and thus roles.

CiT0

Master Recruiter

12-10-2012

I thought in ranked it goes on order by elo?

And if you were a great teammate, if first pick wanted to go mid u could swap champs.

Pixilz

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
I find it funny that you've supposedly read the summoner's code when the summoner's code clearly says that first pick gets first pick of the heroes and thus roles.
No it doesn't... The only thing the Summoner's Code mentions about pick order, is if you are last than maybe try to fill a niche in your team. It doesn't even say you have to, because you don't. The op is right about one thing, picking mid or top first is generally a bad idea. The one time when it may be a good idea is when you pick a champ that normally goes mid, but goes top instead. This can lead to the hilarity of the other team counterpicking the wrong champion.

adc

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Aura View Post
No it doesn't... The only thing the Summoner's Code mentions about pick order, is if you are last than maybe try to fill a niche in your team. It doesn't even say you have to, because you don't. The op is right about one thing, picking mid or top first is generally a bad idea. The one time when it may be a good idea is when you pick a champ that normally goes mid, but goes top instead. This can lead to the hilarity of the other team counterpicking the wrong champion.
"If youíre the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasnít already been filled. If everyoneís picked and something stands out as a deficiency in your team composition, try asking for another player to fill the gap, or change roles to embrace that responsibility yourself. Remember, that by taking on a role you donít normally play, youíll learn more about unfamiliar champions and increase your own skill level."

That said, counterpicks only result (trusting Pogo here) in about a 5% difference in win rates. It's all about skill until you start getting to the highest levels. A 1k Elo Kassadin is going to lose to a 1.5k Elo Anivia a lot of the time just because the Anivia is a better player.

Doumz

12-10-2012

"I'm 1st pick so fk u"
I assume and prefer to get counterpicked then letting that role to someone that isn't reliable for me because hes not part of "me, myself and i".
Thats pretty much it and that's totally understandable.

izuul

12-10-2012

sounds like your butthurt because you didnt get to play mid for the 1 game out of the like 10 youll probably play today

Slashinghardest

12-10-2012

I find if funny riot supports first pick gets priority when they should be supporting communication first pick is aleays right.

Notdoppler

12-10-2012

First picking your mid champ is fine unless you're in the higher elos. The chances of a person actually being good enough to destroy you with the particular champ that counters you is unlikely. People say diana hard counters kat, yet ive played kat against dianas, and none of them really demonstrated what makes diana a counter.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0jectseph View Post
Every person has a (20%) chance to get 1st pick.
Assuming this is true and it is not at all related to Elo, isn't this all the more reason for first pick to get to play whatever role he wants?

If everyone has a 20% chance to get 1st pick, then it stands to reason that everyone has a 20% chance to get last pick, and everyone has a 20% chance to get every other pick.

So if I'm going to be forced into whatever leftover role the 20% of the time that I'm last pick, then by God, I'll be picking whatever role I want the 20% of the time that I'm first pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0jectseph View Post
First picking a mid is a great way to get countered.
I don't think couterpicking means as much as you think it means.

First off, if the enemy team has already selected their mid, and I'm first pick, I can pick a mid already knowing what mid the enemy team is sending at me.

Second off, if your team got first pick, your mid can get counter picked even if he picks last, because the enemy team will already have last pick. If both teams were employing the "Don't pick a mid until the enemy team picks a mid," then the team who picked second always wins that battle, so if your team has the first overall pick and the enemy team is truly interested in counterpicking you, picking your mid first is hardly much worse than picking your mid last.

Third off, let's talk about what counter picking actually means. Some of the strongest counters in the game only manage about a 7% better win-rate against the champion they counter then what that champion manages versus all the other champions. Now, I'm not going to shuffle this off into the land of complete insignificance, but let's say mid is my strongest role. And let's say my main is Kassadin. Let's say I have a 70% win rate playing as Kassadin. My next best champion is, let's just say, Ryze. My win rate with Ryze is 53%. If the enemy mid is a Veigar, I counter him, so my win rate is closer to 60%. Meanwhile, as Kassadin, my win rate against Pantheon when he's picked as a counter to me ends up being closer to 63%.

So, what do I do?

Do I pick Kassadin, with whom I manage a 70% win rate against all champions, but if they pick Pantheon to mid against me, that will drop to a 63% win rate?

Or do I wait to see whether or not the enemy picks Veigar, so I can counter him with Ryze and manage a 60% win rate?

I mean, just look at the gap there. My hypothetical win rate as Kassadin is 70%. Even when I'm counterpicked, it remains a 63%. Meanwhile, the best win-rate I manage with any other mid champion is 60%, and that's ONLY when I've counter-picked the enemy.

What's more, when I first pick Kassadin, the enemy team may have some mid who thinks "Well, normally I play Karthus... but Kassadin is a strong counter to Karthus, so instead I'll play Pantheon, because I know Pantheon is a counter to Kassadin." But the reality is, that player has like 500+ games played with Karthus and he's only played as Pantheon like 10 times. So despite Pantheon being a counter to Kassadin, my winning chance against this particular Pantheon may actually be higher then my normal win rate with Kassadin in general because I'm laning against someone who is completely unfamiliar with the champion they are playing.