[Guide] 10 New Player Tips to Make Your First Games Smoother.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RodrigoRost

04-17-2010

nice, man! ty!

Morandra

05-11-2010

Excellent guide!

Crannicus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2010

A few things I would add:

Don't chase without back-up.

One of the mistakes I made often as a newbie was pursuing a champion I thought I had near death, only to be jumped by a full-health champ from the bushes and gang-banged by the two of them. As a general rule, don't abandon your post -- especially if you're playing a ranged character -- unless you're confident you won't be ganked around that next corner.

Learn your hotkeys.

This seems like common sense, but then, so does a lot of the guide. You'd be surprised how many new players come in to a game like LoL seemingly without understanding how to use their hotkeys. QWER are essential, and as one gets up in skill level, it becomes more important to master summoner spell and item hotkeys as well. But start with QWER -- the time you save by not having to click on the tooltip for the skill is often vital in winning battles.

Get Boots Early
You mention this in your guide, but it really deserves a point of its own, with some clarification. If you're facing a stun/slow/spell-heavy team, merc treads are absolutely essential; otherwise (and assuming you're using a ranged hero like Ashe or Sivir), Berserker's Greaves work nicely.

xXDARKLORDBANEXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2010

good guide, hope the noobs read it

DatNĂ­gguh

Recruiter

01-13-2011

My addition to this Excellent Guide.

What I have seen in my few battles as a newbie. I am only summoner level four, but I feel as I understand most of the game.

The Brush
Don't attack minions or enemy champions from the brush. (Unless you that sniper character and it gives you a bonus on your headshot passive.) It gives your own and everybody and everything inside that bush away to the other team, making it almost impossible to kill somebody.

Watch the Ground
If an enemy champion has a "Skill Shot", you will have a split second to see it and avoid it. Example: When Cho'Gath rumbles the ground under you, Move.

JackMack96

11-19-2011

Great tips thanks

Belwilliam

07-15-2013

In regards to not feeding, I would say tell newbies to "Run early" and get Summoner skills for escaping (Ghost + Teleport, Flash once your L12, though you shouldn't be a newbie by then). Running is not always the best choice, but until you get a feel for how much damage you can take and who has slows/stuns, it is better to be safe.

I have been mostly doing solo mid with Ryze..occasionally do duo top/bot when mid gets claimed (this is solo queue vs bots w/o jungler). I used to use Teleport to escape a 2 or 3 vs 1 gank. Now I've replaced Ghost with Ignite and try to watch the other lanes. When I see a 2v2 or 3v2 fight with the other side pushing, I will try to teleport into Root range and go through my cycle to quickly kill their weakest member (solo or just by rallying and getting an assist; Ryze's root really marks a target for death quite visibly in close team fights), possibly Ignite a 2nd (still need practice to hit my Ignite well) to make him/her run away and turn the fight into a rout for the enemy.

Doing this with Ryze, if I am already well fed and I happen to get the kills (instead of assist), it seems to bump me up to being 2nd / main carry (Ryze is pretty tough once he reaches 2.5k hp / 3k mana and gets even stronger from there)