Nikolas the Eccentric Electric

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zebediah101

12-08-2012

I know this idea will probably not make it past this page, but I thought I'd try anyways.
My idea is a hextech AP mage. He's an electric champ from Zaun. I really need some suggestions for this idea.

Abilities

Passive
Equipment overload
Nikolas gains X magic penetration for every X AP.

Q
Zap!
Nikolas fires a bolt of lightning forward, dealing less damage for every enemy hit.
If it hits a pylon, it will return to Nikolas or to another pylon that is within X range, stunning the first champion it hits on the way back. This can chain X times.

W
Pylon
Passive: Nikolas stores parts for 1/2/3 (every other point in pylon) pylons every X seconds. Max: 3
Active: Nikolas deploys a pylon at target location, giving vision for 1 minute(?). His other abilities gain bonus effects from pylons. If he has more than three pylons out, the earliest built will explode, causing a DOT.

E
Battery bomb
Nikolas fires an AOE bomb at a location that will explode in X seconds or when Nikolas detonates it, causing damage to any enemy in the blast radius. If a pylon is in the radius, it will generate a blast X(I'm thinking half) the size of the original, slowing any enemy in the blast. This can chain twice(?)

R
Superconducted!
Nikolas converts his body temporarily into pure electricity, and blinks to the target champion, dealing magic damage. He will jump up to 8 times from pylons to champions. Each champion can only be hit twice per cast of Superconducted!

Lore
Nikolas grew up in the city of Zaun. His mother had left when he was very young nd his father was a heavy drinker, taking it out on his son if he wanted. Nikolas only found solace in the hextech of his beloved Zaun, especially in his father's failing electrician shop. He often would sneak parts out to experiment with, building small toys or appliances to sell. One day while he was testing an electric flight suit his father burst in a drunken mess. Seeing his stolen parts, he flew into a rage, beating Nikolas in his suit, hitting the breakerswitch, spraying out terawatts of energy, frying his father instantly and leaving Nikolas a twitching, scorched mess. With nothing left for him at home, Nikolas went to one of the only places where his talents would be appreciated, the League of Legends. (This if a filler story, but it has some of the stuff I want in it)

Yes, the W is named after Starcraft, because originality be damned. Sorry if these abilities sound like cheap knockoffs. Like I said, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if you have any clever Nikolas Tesla references, I'd like that.

Zebediah101

01-01-2013

83 views and no ideas? Did this concept suck that bad?

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2013

edit: well it wasn't a full concept when you posted...

Dzanio

01-01-2013

Passive: underpowered, and geared towards killing tanks, which will be a low priority for anyone playing Nikolas.

Q: Very similar to Xerath's q.

W: Sounds like Heimer's Turrets. Since they don't do damage I think it'd be fair to give him 2-3 max. Would be a fun mechanic w/ the q (Although, w/ more than 1 pylon I should point out it would be possible to bounce the q more than once).

E: Maybe generates a small AoE around all of the active towers, doing a small DoT, and applying a slow?

R: Your ult is going to be a passive? Maybe replace your current passive with a version of this. values and ranges depend upon how many towers are possible maximum.

Tael Zenith

01-02-2013

There is a lot you could do with this concept; even with Kennen, Ryze and Xerath on the Fields of Justice.

Your passive should probably be more widely effective; one that is geared toward killing a single champion that sole purpose is to try and get everyone to attack him isn't really stacking the cards in your favor.

Even though your Q gets weaker with enemies hit; still feels a little too Xerath-y. Perhaps a Chain Lightning effect is more unique?
Pylons are an interesting concept (and make me demand a Protoss skin for Nikolas) and I think there is a lot you could do with it; some sort of zoning mechanic that makes the enemy want to be far, far away, most likely. (im thinking reducing MR or granting MPen/a slow debuff)
Ulti definitely need more interaction.

Moving forward with this champ/design in general; use 2-3 champions as a control and base the idea/abilities off of them. Your champ as posted is what sounds like a ranged mage with 2 abilities that are near clones of another champion; and no CC at all which is something that every mage I can think of has, whether its a slow/stun/fear/silence etc.

Champion design is pretty tricky; and it could take a couple hours and a couple tries to get the Champions Kit where it needs to be. I'm not saying to go back to the drawing board, but Nikolas definitely needs another 30 mins to hour of conceptualizing. Before you start getting some real feedback as to how we would work in The League of Legends.

Hope I'm helpful and not too harsh.

Zebediah101

01-02-2013

Edited some bits. Hope I addressed some concerns.
Dzanio, I wanted his passive to be anti-tank because that way an AP could counterpick a tank. That probably doesn't make sense, but I'm kind of a noob, so please bear with me.
Tael I will definitely try to do your suggestions justice.
Thanks to all of you for the help.

Poeta Somnium

01-02-2013

Hello Zebidiah. Poet Ultima here with CCF Council to offer what advice I can.

Your overall concept is good. However there are some design discrepancies that result in this not quite coming together cohesively. I'll do my best to outline these instances.

Passive: This contains a few different antipatterns; it punishes tanky opponents with magic damage for building defenses against physical damage. This means that by stacking armor to defend against a fed enemy ADC the opponant is only ensuring that they receive more damage from Nikolas. This is a weird relation that makes an opposing player feel weird while doing what should feel natural. Furthermore, this would have no impact on the early game, seeing as how the enemy AP mid won't be building any armor, nor would it have any real effect in focusing squishy high-priority targets in teamfights; Nikolas would be most effective focusing the tank, which wouldn't be the most effective choice for the whole team.

I think perhaps you're overthinking the ability. Simplify; why not just give Nikolas a little innate bonus Magic Penetration as his passive? This would mean that tanks and carries alike would have to build a little extra Magic Resistance, and would make Nikolas a more universally effective champion.

Q: The comboing aspect is pretty cool. Yeah, it's a little bit like Xerath in the sense that it's a skillshot and he's a mage, but the interaction with the pylons gives this a dimension that Xerath's doesn't have. I can see how placing a pylon and using it as a sort of to harass an enemy from afar could be tons of fun, and even setup some clutch kills.

W: This should be a pretty easy skill to balance; it's simple and is critical to the rest of his kit. I think that a maximum of three pylons would be best. I see this working as a long-range nuke; Nikolas casts his Q at a pylon, and the charge gains damage with each pylon it bounces to along the way. But you also have to consider, what happens when you level this skill up? Since they don't do damage themselves, does the damage amplification of each succesive jump increase with rank? Does the production time decrease with rank? Does the lifespan of the pylons increase? This would be a good bit of information to mention.

E: I like previous suggestions to have this ability provide some form of CC. It can do damage on it's own, but perhaps if the AoE lands on an enemy champion AND a pylon, the enemy champion is tethered to that pylon for a duration and takes damage over time. This could provide Nikolas the opportunity to land a free Q.

R: This one feels odd, especially with the movement speed bonus, which isn't usually a priority on mages. Moreover, it doesn't quite feel like an "ultimate" ability; it's missing that showstopper flair.

Here's what comes to mind as a possible solution;

- Nikolas's suit radiates electrical energy, emitting a burst of shock damage in a large radius from Nikolai's location. Pylons within this radius emit charges of their own that stun the first enemy contacted.

This feels more like an ultimate and has good synergy with the Q and W, but would really just be a large-scale version of the E; so you would then have to think of something different with the E.

Lore: You have a good start, but Nikolas's motive to join the League seems a little lackluster. Why not add a little drama; make Nikolas's relationship with his father a little more vague.... maybe name him Viktor, a brilliant scientist who became so enamored with technology that he turned his back on his only son..... see where you can go with this? Just a suggestion to give your lore a little more pizzazz. =D

You've got potential here, you really do. You're still in the early stages and you have some work ahead of you, but this is a good start. I hope this review will help you flesh out this concept a little more.

I noticed you don't have any numbers yet. Here are some guides that can help you figure out ability values, scaling ratios, and all that fun jazz once you settle on a full kit.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=988748
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2311249
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ion_statistics

And of course, if you need further assistance you can always request it at the Council's review thread, found here;

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2859754

~Poet (Council)

Zebediah101

01-02-2013

Ok then

I broke down about the passive. You guys probably right. Hey, what about gaining X magic penetration for like every 100 AP or so?

I think a snare from the E would be too powerful combined with the other stun from the Q, don't you think?

Idea! What about for the R if Nikolas did sort of a Fiora ultimate zapping from champ to champ? Or is that too copycattish?

Oh.my god....that lore idea is really surprising.. Like he's trying to earn his father's love? That is what it sounds like. (I smell Easter egg passive)

Also, I don't do well with numbers, and I feel if I do them, I'd screw it up. Do you guys know anyone who is really good with ability numbers?

Zebediah101

01-02-2013

Abilities edited. I don't want to touch the lore for now. I'm going to dive into those number forum poet showed me.

Zebediah101

01-03-2013

Bump.