A fundamental flaw, and solution to Draft Pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

abombizzle

12-08-2012

I'm sure we have all experienced it, a draft pick where stubborn people or children, absolutely refuse to cooperate with roles. Some hail to the pick order laws, and others to the call order laws, and each individual pathetically attempts to interpret the summoners code to appease their arguments.

Ultimately however nothing gets resolved and the game begins with two players filling the mid role, two jungles and a support, and as expected the game goes disastrously wrong. It is an unfortunate fact but this problem is becoming prevalent enough so that I and many of the people I play with absolutely refuse to play during the daytime. So it is my goal to beg RIOT to make a fundamental change in draft pick, which I hope is a simple solution to a frustrating problem.

It begins immediately after you select your game type, an extra window asks you what roles you want to play (top, mid, jungle, ad bot, or support), you select your roles, and shortly after the matchmaking Que comes up and asks you if you want to accept the match for ONE of your selected roles. Then during the champion select screen, riot gives us an extra 20 seconds to strategize, and figure out who is trading champions in order to avoid a counter pic, additionally it would even provide a trade button for trading roles, which is marked on the summoner box by an icon.

This would be much better than the current system, because it would eliminate much the early game combativeness, and promote team work and strategy from the very start. Now I do understand that this system would probably still get trolled now and again, but I believe that the frequency would decrease drastically, it would also provide valid grounds for a report based off misconduct at champion select.

This Nonsense has gone on far too long, and a change is desperately needed to this process. if you agree lets work to get this post heard by Devs.

GrooveTrain

12-08-2012

Would force meta, something Riot doesn't want to do.

Guess what? Roles aren't concrete. Things can change at any time. AD+support bot might at some point stop being optimal. What happens to your system when that happens?

abombizzle

12-08-2012

In regard to Groove train, you do make an excellent point the meta will not always be viable however in counterpoint: That's what the 20 seconds of strategy are for, that allows teams to discuss there plans, a kill lane bot could still fill the support role, it doesn't stop you from choosing your champions but filling a certain role. For example a Taric Blitz kill lane bot., Taric would fill ad bot role, and the other would fill the support role. Either way this requires cooperation from teammates, which that initial time is intended to facilitate. Just as you said roles aren't concrete but a majority of the time, you do still fill a specific lane during a certain phase of the game, the intention of the initial role call is to provide a framework to allow you to still be successful when others will not cooperate. Other roles could be added this system as well to actually pair people who want to deviate from the meta with each other, roles such as kill lane bot.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-08-2012

All those threads talking about role-queuing.

EDIT: The original post has been edited.

abombizzle

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
All those threads talking about role-queuing.

wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text wall of text
I will be happy to put it terms you can understand. HEY RIOT WTF GUIS???? CHANGE DRAFT PICK PLOX, CANT WIN WITH THESE NOOOOOOBS. Is that better? Also thank you for showing the world that you know how to copy and paste that an important skill set.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-08-2012

What's a more difficult skill to master? Copy & paste, or hitting return a couple times to separate your thoughts and drastically increase the readability of a thread that you just HAD to post because it's not regularly posted already?

abombizzle

12-08-2012

Quote:
What's a more difficult skill to master? Copy & paste, or hitting return a couple times to separate your thoughts and drastically increase the readability of a thread that you just HAD to post because it's not regularly posted already?
Well I don't personally find 350 words to be lengthy, but I do see you'r point. It was wordy, and it is a frequently posted topic. However it is important for idea's to be expressed from different voices, and viewpoints, I appreciate your constructive criticism of reducing the ramblings, if you have any ideas on how to make it more readable I would be happy to apply them.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-08-2012

It's not about word length. It's about the fact that it's a big block of text.

Look closely. Do you see what I just did here? I separated my thoughts with more than just the spacebar or a period. I pressed my enter key a couple times to start a new paragraph. This indicates to the reader that what's located in this block of text is at least slightly different from the block of text that came before this, and the block of text I'll type on the next line.

When you type out long posts and fail to separate your thoughts into paragraphs with white lines in between, you prevent me from doing any amount of skimming. I have to read literally every line. And we're not talking about reading every line on a printed sheet of paper. I'm reading on a computer monitor. It's black text on an off-white background. I'm basically staring into a light bulb just to read yet another opinion on the same topic again.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to make this post somewhat lengthy. I'm only doing this to demonstrate the difference between a well-formatted forum post and a wall of text. Again, it's not about length; it's about formatting. If you've got 350 words of interesting, post-worthy content, I'll read them all if it's formatted properly. But if you've slammed 350 words into a completely unformatted block of text, I'm not going to read it, and I'll rely on the replies of others to discern the content of your original post.

Anyway, from what I have discerned about your original post, it seems that the discussion would actually be best had in the link I provided in my first post, and we'll just let this thread exist as an example to everyone how to prevent text-wall style posting, which is horrendous.

Do you see how the ideas kind of shift from block of text to block of text? It's continuous and flowing, but it also develops. It's a lot of text, and I like to spell things out, but if you manage to get the point I made by skimming my paragraph, then you can jump to the next paragraph without having to read every detail in the one you skimmed.

abombizzle

12-08-2012

Quote:
It's not about word length. It's about the fact that it's a big block of text.

Look closely. Do you see what I just did here? I separated my thoughts with more than just the spacebar or a period. I pressed my enter key a couple times to start a new paragraph. This indicates to the reader that what's located in this block of text is at least slightly different from the block of text that came before this, and the block of text I'll type on the next line.

When you type out long posts and fail to separate your thoughts into paragraphs with white lines in between, you prevent me from doing any amount of skimming. I have to read literally every line. And we're not talking about reading every line on a printed sheet of paper. I'm reading on a computer monitor. It's black text on an off-white background. I'm basically staring into a light bulb just to read yet another opinion on the same topic again.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to make this post somewhat lengthy. I'm only doing this to demonstrate the difference between a well-formatted forum post and a wall of text. Again, it's not about length; it's about formatting. If you've got 350 words of interesting, post-worthy content, I'll read them all if it's formatted properly. But if you've slammed 350 words into a completely unformatted block of text, I'm not going to read it, and I'll rely on the replies of others to discern the content of your original post.

Anyway, from what I have discerned about your original post, it seems that the discussion would actually be best had in the link I provided in my first post, and we'll just let this thread exist as an example to everyone how to prevent text-wall style posting, which is horrendous.

Do you see how the ideas kind of shift from block of text to block of text? It's continuous and flowing, but it also develops. It's a lot of text, and I like to spell things out, but if you manage to get the point I made by skimming my paragraph, then you can jump to the next paragraph without having to read every detail in the one you skimmed.
Believe me I do understand that this a commonly posted topic, but I do also understand that it takes a topic repeating itself a billion times before someone decides to actually make a move on it.

I do appreciate your criticism on spacing out the paragraphs, I was not aware that this was an issue of concern, I was expecting the post to be skimmed for the most part, but it was an effort reignite the issue and get it attention again. I will try to be more effective next time.

GrooveTrain

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by abombizzle View Post
Well I don't personally find 350 words to be lengthy, but I do see you'r point. It was wordy, and it is a frequently posted topic. However it is important for idea's to be expressed from different voices, and viewpoints, I appreciate your constructive criticism of reducing the ramblings, if you have any ideas on how to make it more readable I would be happy to apply them.
Just an aside, I regularly purchase professionally written 350-600 word articles to post on my websites. They are all broken up into paragraphs and given plenty of whitespace. So while you may not find it to be lengthy, which it really isn't, if I posted a wall of text, my visitors would go elsewhere and click someone else's ads. This is backed up by about two years of traffic reports, showing the correlation between the quality of my content and the resulting click-through and bounce rates.

Obviously type however you want, but following some basic sentence and paragraph structure will go a long way to increasing the number of people who read through your content start-to-finish. The marketing and advertising industry has done this math for you. While it may not make you any money here on the na.league forums, it will definitely help you get your point across in a clear, concise, nonconfusing way, and help to foster more productive discussion.