Will of the Ancients: Why buy it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GG Crono

10-16-2010

It's pretty awesome to get on Morgana, because it stacks with her passive. Not too shabby on Vladimir either, as it easily refunds the cost of Tides of Blood.

Other than that, I pretty much never get it. A bit of a buff might increase its utility some.

Pinith

10-16-2010

Why don't they just make spell vamp not suck? The item concept is fine, the problem is that spell vamp costs way more than its worth. If you could get twice the spell vamp for the same cost, then we'd be looking at 30% spell vamp, which is worth considering.

Spell vamp is terrible compared to life steal because you have to expend a resource to cast spells (mana, cooldown), and spells do a lot less sustained damage compared to auto attacks.

If 'burst healing' from spell vamp is perceived to be a problem, then the spell vamp mechanic needs to change. Instead of immediate healing, it could grant a stacking heal-over-time buff. This allows Riot to improve spell vamp numbers while making the heal effect similar to that from life steal (lets you recover over time, but won't let you tank enemy champion damage unless you have a ton)

Coulombe

10-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaphat View Post
this will also make haunting guise a useful item again i like your way of thinking
I think Haunting Guise is in Annie's current build.

I'm sure a lot of others use it too, just too tired right now to research.

nvmvoidrays

10-16-2010

i get it on sona if my team is AP heavy. 50 AP and 15% spell vamp for teammates and 70 AP for herself.

Tjax

10-16-2010

I sometimes get it on heimer as a very late addition when I'm in a team that benefits from it. Sometimes as sona in a long game, once again with a team that benefits from it. Her aura plus it is +50 ap to everyone.

Rysan Marquise

10-16-2010

I would much prefer having +10% spellvamp to self +10% to others. +40 AP to self +40 AP to others. I think the item needs to be a good source of spellvamp and a better aura-item for dealing damage for your allies. It also means that if two of you get it, that will be +120 AP and +30 spell vamp for each of you if you are near each-other which is pretty nice. Not a major buff or paradigm shift, but enough to make it worthwhile for most your team.

Findaer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2010

Fantastic idea! +1

Skorp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack1996 View Post
Yeah, but I can get Abyssal Scepter and give my team more damage and give myself more survivability than Will of the Ancients could ever give.

I get both in ARAM, but hardly ever get Will in normal games.

Zack1996

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinith View Post
Why don't they just make spell vamp not suck?
I do believe that Riot never intended Spell Vamp to be a power healing tool like lifesteal. It merely supplements your survivalbility by giving you a way to regenerate your health.

In addition, Spell Vamp is incredibly hard to balance due to the existance of AoE and single target spells. It either becomes incredibly powerful, or way too weak.

But sure, I don't see why we can't add in a little more Spell Vamp for WotA. Will probably be fine for its costs.

EDIT: Just remembered that MRPent makes SV more powerful, so I believe it should be good.

Ralfazar

10-17-2010

Usually by the time you would be benefiting from spell vamp you are being smacked in the face while waiting for your cds TO use said spellvamp.