Will of the Ancients: Why buy it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xo Davy Jones ox

10-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
I include it in my Trollgot builds when I'm feeling ornery and bored.
stay away from ranked and normal thanks

Zack1996

10-11-2010

Updated first post with an alternative suggestion. Also put down the cost of WotA (recipe cost unchanged) for comparison against other items.

I think that the cost is rather justified, since it costs more than a Zhonya's and gives less utility. However, feel free to comment on the pricing and whether it is too effective.

Thanks for the support thus far.

Voidgolem

10-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo Davy Jones ox View Post
stay away from ranked and normal thanks
6/4/18 and counting!

Malady Monday, with special guests Trollgot and Tankplank.

badbird

10-11-2010

It's a good idea, but...

1) Makes the item too expensive
2) Doesn't distinguish the item from Abyssal Scepter enough

I'd just go base +10 AP or a +5% Spell Vamp on the Aura.

Initially, the OP's post struck me as right on the mark. After thought, I disagree. The item is not designed to be something included in a standard build. It could stand to give more on the final build than the Aura and a free inventory slot, however.

Building the modified-as-suggested Will of the Ancients with Abyssal Scepter would be an excessive amount of spell penetration. A lot of tanks already bypass buying Aegis in favor of another Sunfire Cape. This might lead to a 'why even bother?' attitude towards buying Aegis.

Well-executed post, though. If even the designers can't muster the effort to like the item, than it reasons the item does need to be addressed.

Zack1996

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird View Post
2) Doesn't distinguish the item from Abyssal Scepter enough
An extremely valid point. One of the things I have considered is that this remake would make Will of the Ancients yet another Abyssal Scepter.

The thing that could elevate your worries would be when 2 casters on the team buy it and one of them picks up an Abyssal Scepter.

MPen with Sorc Shoes and Runes:
20 + 14 + 20 (AScep) + 20 + 20 (Last two from WotA stacking)

It gives you a freaking 94 MPen. Without this remake, though, it would still stand at about 74 MPen. Either way, the MPen is not so much my worry.

Still, I cannot deny that it would be difficult to differentiate the two items without adding a new component (eg. Active) to the item. I would like to hear more responses before making any changes to the original post.

However, the implementation of this remake may pose a new problem: Abyssal Scepter would become outclassed. I do not want this to happen, as Abyssal is rarely bought in many cases already. I am, therefore, considering the need to remove the MPen from the Aura altogether, although I'd like to keep Haunting Guise as a component.

Suggestions?

Boomstix

10-12-2010

I use it frequently espescially on healers/support characters its realtively cheap, provides decent stats and a decent aura, *shrug*

Knote

10-12-2010

Why doesn't the magic pen increase? We really could use more magic pen items.

Zack1996

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
Why doesn't the magic pen increase? We really could use more magic pen items.
Well, the fact remains that you can double-stack the aura.
For example, if you were Annie and you had an allied Veigar, both with the suggested WotA, you would benefit from the aura twice.
Therefore, you would get something like +40 AP, +40 MPen, +30% SV from the aura (if you use the one in Suggestion A)

I'm rather reluctant to increase the MPen, since it may put penetration levels at something like 120.

Esufear

10-12-2010

Haunting Guise definitely needs to be able to build into something.
Wota is meh

Zack1996

10-16-2010

Hoping for a Red response :P

Btw,

Quote:
Haunting Guise definitely needs to be able to build into something.
Wota is meh
This is why I made the thread

Pushing for WotA change.