Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Madred's Machete

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PsylentFox

12-05-2012

While conceptually I like this item, the new jungle's difficulty practically forces the Junglers to purchase it. Taking cloth armor and five health potions can be a very painful experience for practically every jungler I've played or seen, from Lee Sin, Darius, Skarner, Shen, etc. Without the additional damage from Madred's Machete the clear speeds of these champions decrease significantly. In fact, even with the additional mitigation of damage from the cloth armor, I've found that I've cleared slower and with *less* health than I had when clearing with the Machete.

Now I've probably played a dozen custom games to fiddle around with the new jungle, and I'm curious as to see if this was intended. From what I can tell, using the Machete is much more efficient than using the standard cloth armor x5 health pots, and virtually makes boots and three pots a **** shoot; you better hope that your mid and top or mid and bot can provide enough damage on the blue buff and wolves or you're going to be hurting. So with the Machete I've pretty much seen that the additional ability damage and true damage kills the monsters faster, which in turn mitigates a good amount of damage you would have taken had you purchased boots or cloth armor.

Now I've mainly jungled Skarner in this season 3 jungle and I've found that my clear times have been 20-30 seconds slower overall (this varies from champ to champ) when taking the cloth armor, and I've cleared with about 150 more HP as well.

Is this intended? If so, I think that you will find that if you want a good solid jungle without investing 300 gold into one of the Madred's item it will rarely happen. It wouldn't make sense to not taking the Machete as it increases your efficiency immensely and I think that will end up pigeon holing Junglers into purchasing the Machete or suffering in their clear times.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Komeiji Koishi

12-05-2012

Morello said that since everyone was forced to buy wriggles, they're changing it so you can have different jungle build paths, especially for AP junglers like Diana or Karthus, as well as buffing single-target junglers like Gangplank over nerfing AoE junglers like Mundo. Machete was what they considered a necessary evil so that you can have more build options in the mid-game, which was what they focused on, and which included things like the Spirits of the (Neutral Monster Name) etc.

You can start with cloth + 5, machete + 4/5, or even vamp scepter or amp tome if you're feeling risky, but it's your choice. Or in Udyr's case, trade jungle clear times (Machete) for extra ganking power (Boots).

Weegee7

Recruiter

12-06-2012

Quote:
OMGWTFROTFLBBQ:

You can start with cloth + 5, machete + 4/5, or even vamp scepter or amp tome if you're feeling risky

Vampiric Scepter? Really dude?

A Vitriolic Cat

12-07-2012

Like other people above me have said, I think it's sort of a necessary thing to make it so it's not just autoattack damage champs make wriggle's and other junglers make ????. Now, you have spirit stone and its offshoots as an option to build, and a lot of them are really good.

Of course my opinion has nothing to do with the fact that the spirit stone items mean you can jungle AP Evelynn now instead of being forced to go AD in the jungle...

Voidgolem

12-07-2012

While it's necessary, the upgrades from it are so ridiculously broken that I don't get all the hate at being 'forced' to start with it.

Unless you're the, like, one dude who benefits more from Wriggles than any of the upgrades (hell: Spirit of the Ancient Golem is awesome for everyone, not just tanks. Lets you buy shoes that aren't mercs)

PerfidiousAlbion

12-07-2012

The point was to make it so junglers had to choose between the super-gank boots/3 pots option, but play a very risky game, or use machete and be safe/able to choose a much larger variety of junglers but have much weaker ganks.

It seems fairly successful to me.

KyroRayne

Recruiter

12-07-2012

I love how people would buy mercs just for the tenacity. I would always buy them for the MR. I still do unless I have a tenacity item in my build, in which case, I build a heavy MR item like Runic Bulwark.