World of Warcraft style ability to choose your role before queuing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crazeh Fruit

12-05-2012

So if you've played WoW once in your life, you know that when queuing for an instance you can pick to be a tank, dps, or healer. I think we should have that ability in LoL. So we can get into the queue and everyone already knows and has established what everyone's role is. More time more discussing our team comp and less chance of arguments. No need to be in a rush to call your role anymore either. What do you guys think?

So the ability to pick the role of Support, AP Carry mid, solo top champion, jungler, and AD Carry.

Cocona Vatel

12-05-2012

LF2M Tank and Heals
/thread

Meserion

12-06-2012

A LFG idea wouldn't be terrible but most people wouldn't do it because it would be like going in reverse and the matchmaking groups you with people who are supposedly at your skill level. WoW went to matchmaking from LFG so I have trouble believing this becoming mainstream. Besides, you can do this anyway I believe.

Let me piggyback an idea on this forum post that would help the role preference.

//-----------------------------

Instead of role preference we do lane preference. In addition to declaring your lane there would be a options section in your summoner profile to maybe set a preferred lane composition. WTF am I talking about?

Lets take an example:

you set your lane preference to MID so matchmaking will build a team with your preference in mid in there so it will less likely pick another player who wants MID as well.

In order to avoid making this a meta-locking preference, In your options menu you'll have a map of say Summoner's Rift. You'll have 4 separate zones on this map composed of: MID, BOT, TOP, JUNGLE. you'll also have 5 markers that represent teammates; you place these markers in each zone (jungle would be the only one with a cap of 2 players). This option would then take your preferred lane compositions in mind when you go into matchmaking and essentially build a team using each players preferred lane compositions. This would prevent people from being forced to play a certain role because the position is taken by someone with Higher ELO. It would greatly decrease the odds of someone choosing the role you want. We could have it with presets like the way rune pages are done. Because of this system, it would versatile enough that it would not conform to a single meta and would give the people more opportunities to play the way they want to play and not the way the PROs want to play.

What do you guys think?

Thoughts? Comments?

EXTRA: This could work because LoL has a massive playerbase
EXTRA EXTRA: Considering ranked teams and duos, the team leaders would have the preferred lane build if their team wasn't composed of 5 players.

EDIT: I'm blind and didn't read Thread maker's post >.>

PrisonerOne

12-06-2012

I don't want to be locked to a certain meta by having to choose a specific role.

Riot also does not want this.

This is a step in the right (or not backwards) direction.

Quote:
Instead of role preference we do lane preference. In addition to declaring your lane there would be a options section in your summoner profile to maybe set a preferred lane composition. WTF am I talking about?

Lets take an example:

you set your lane preference to MID so matchmaking will build a team with your preference in mid in there so it will less likely pick another player who wants MID as well.

In order to avoid making this a meta-locking preference, In your options menu you'll have a map of say Summoner's Rift. You'll have 4 separate zones on this map composed of: MID, BOT, TOP, JUNGLE. you'll also have 5 markers that represent teammates; you place these markers in each zone (jungle would be the only one with a cap of 2 players). This option would then take your preferred lane compositions in mind when you go into matchmaking and essentially build a team using each players preferred lane compositions. This would prevent people from being forced to play a certain role because the position is taken by someone with Higher ELO. It would greatly decrease the odds of someone choosing the role you want. We could have it with presets like the way rune pages are done. Because of this system, it would versatile enough that it would not conform to a single meta and would give the people more opportunities to play the way they want to play and not the way the PROs want to play

DoD Stormknight

12-06-2012

agree
i have similar idea