On Nami's Visual Design

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cuix

12-05-2012

Hi, Iron! And, of course, hello to anybody else who happens to hop in here, but you're all less important so shush~<3

Alright, fine, you can stick around and chat. Please, though, try to contain the vitriol. I know both sides of this argument get really flame-y, and I've been guilty of that as well, but that's not helpful or nice. Attempt civility, at least.

In the attached picture, I've highlighted a few areas of Nami's splash art so that I can talk about problems that I see. I thought these issues were quite salient, but it seems I'm in a minority. That's fine, but I want there to be some sort of discourse concerning what's really going on. Obviously, Riot isn't trying to sexualize all of their female champions and establish global male power. Still, this is one of those things that just keeps coming up, and I want to at least be sure that they have some strong reasoning behind their decisions.

Part 1: Let's just get this out of the way. She's got scales on her skin, and those are clearly represented as part of her body, until a point not far below her bellybutton (or where it would be, at least). At that point, that layer of her splits, opening up to reveal a more traditional skin tone underneath, smooth like a normal human's skin, which ends up showing much of her body in this new way. Most notably, her cleavage is on full display, made even more noticeable by her jewelry. This is the part that I have the most trouble understanding. It could be just a readability issue, I suppose. Perhaps her scaly outer layer is supposed to be understood as basically just clothing. If so, please know that it doesn't look that way at all, at least to me and several others with whom I've talked. It looks like she fillets partway up her body, and I'm not seeing why aside from the obvious chest window.

Part 2: There's a thread about this, already, here. The whole point is summed up best by this reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxling View Post
I would very much like Nami to join the incredibly small set of champions that seems to enjoy life outside of murder
Part 3: Syndra, Zyra, and Elise already had slim limbs and slight waists. I feel like there was a lot of room to push her silhouette, beyond the simple "but she has fishy non-legs" aspect.

I hope I've managed to be clear, and please understand that any hostility or displeasure showing through here is partially because I'm tired physically (it's quite late here), and partially because I'm tired socially (this whole issue feels like two brick walls butting heads).

Benadryl Jackson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

While I understand your concerns, surely you can admit that Nami is a big improvement over previous fare.

Consider Zyra and Elise, who are basically just generic comic book females wearing skin-tight monster costumes. At least Nami looks like a legitimate mermaid creature of some kind, even with the weird chest frills (which I actually like).

TwistedKeyblade

12-05-2012

That's not a look of "i enjoy murder" it's more of a motivational and strong feminine feel.

In other words, she fights for her friends.

Her eye color was changed recently to orange (complements herp derp riot), so it looks much better. It may seem like nothing much, but it makes a huge difference.

She looks fine.

Cuix

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benadryl Jackson View Post
Things!
It feels like a slight step forward among several steps back. Yes, this is better than Zyra and Elise, but those two shouldn't be the baseline. We shouldn't have to justify things that way.

How do you interpret those chest frills? You can like them no matter what you think they are, obviously, and I'm not about to try to convince you to not like them, but I'd like to know what they make you think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKeyblade View Post
Stuff!
What about her splash art makes you link her expression to her friends? I think that's extrapolating far more than the interpretation of her being simply hostile.

Erukyun

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
How do you interpret those chest frills? You can like them no matter what you think they are, obviously, and I'm not about to try to convince you to not like them, but I'd like to know what they make you think of.
royalty

Benadryl Jackson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2012

Quote:
They make me think of anemones, sea slugs, jellyfish, and similar aquatic creatures. It's a weird, interesting design idea that effectively accentuates her oceanic origin. I won't deny that it also looks like clothes being peeled away to reveal ample cleavage, but that's fine in my opinion. It's a pleasing mix of *** appeal and exotic inhuman characteristics.

Nami is more than a step in the right direction -- she's what champions like Zyra and Elise should have been.

Cuix

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erukyun View Post
royalty
Clothing and ornamentation, then. That begs the question: Couldn't the same effect be achieved -without- as much of her "skin" showing? In fact, it's worth noting that a lot of fancy royal clothes are often quite the opposite of revealing.

Again, I'm not trying to just say "no ur rong shut up" or anything like that. If anything, I'm glad there are people presenting other possible interpretations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benadryl Jackson View Post
Words~
That's an interesting point. She does obviously have some *** appeal, but that doesn't mean there's a flaw in her design. That could just be another quality of hers, existing right alongside other characteristics.

However, this implies that she's a character in a void. As it stands, the sexualized visual designs of other female characters must be brought into account when considering new designs. On her own, Nami's sexualization is really not too bad, in terms of raw immodesty. Among her peers, though, this severely detracts from her characterization, in the same way that her proportions (thin limbs, skinny waist) do.

Falleth

12-05-2012

Truth to be told, myself I hardly find the need for interpretation of chest frills and if I really needed to, I would rather call it classy than sexualising - then again, personally I can't really view her in this manner in comparison to 85% of female champs. I can easily enjoy aesthetics without over-thinking it.

Cuix

12-05-2012

Alright, well, we're back to unexplained downvotes. Also, no sign of parrot, which doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other as far as he's concerned, but -does- mean the hour is growing later for me. Given that, I'm gonna make my exit. I'll bookmark this thread and bump it once or twice when I wake. Thank you, those who replied, for being chill and honest~

Benadryl Jackson

12-05-2012

Quote:
However, this implies that she's a character in a void. As it stands, the sexualized visual designs of other female characters must be brought into account when considering new designs. On her own, Nami's sexualization is really not too bad, in terms of raw immodesty. Among her peers, though, this severely detracts from her characterization, in the same way that her proportions (thin limbs, skinny waist) do.
This makes no sense. I was never considering her in a vacuum to begin with, though in that context she's a solid character. I would think that among her peers, who tend to be hypersexualized and in general not as well-designed, she stands out and thus looks even better.