Was League of Legends Downgraded?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

12-04-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankin DaBagel View Post
I believe we all need to give this patch a few weeks before we make rash decisions about how good or bad it is. Allow new builds to develop and new strategies to be made.
I am predicting this:

Day 0: OMG change (if you love change, you are happy, if you don't, you are nervous)
Day 1: OK, I'm starting to get the hang of this, pretty sweet
Day 2: Character X is hella OP! wow, Riot, what were you thinking? (Well, the answer is, it's hard to do this stuff perfectly all at once)
Day 3: Actually, no, character Y is hella OP!
Day 4: We hotfix nerf character Z, touch character X, and indicate that Y is on the watchlist
Day 5: OMG, character ZZ is OP, but this is pretty fun
[repeat for 1-3 patches, end up with more strategically deep and interesting game]

LostLaneWonGame

12-04-2012

It removed a lot of items, sure, but it also made quite a few champs who you never see before viable again.

At least in the jungle, I'll be sure to revisit J4, Udyr, Nunu, WW and Fiddles since these were some of the guys who started me off when I first jungled.

MadLock

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Understandable. When you take on a lot of change, many players will find it a little bit confusing, frustrating, etc... Because you go from understanding everything, to feeling like you don't understand a ton.

I'd give it a few games. Go play an easy vs bots game and take your time browsing the shop. Fill out your favorite character. Build the right items. Try it in a practice game or another bot game. From there, you should be in good shape.

As you learn new ways to master the game, you'll start to feel great about the progress, and the new strategies you can enact. I found it pretty overwhelming the first few games as well, but really, we think the changes will be for the better pretty quickly for all players.

To be perfectly honest, our item system was not great before, and was causing a lot of more general issues. We think that this set of changes will set the game free of a lot of problems it has had in the past.
I noticed supports have been increasingly aggressive the more I play normals/draft. Obviously do to things like pickpocket. But from what I noticed Mages recieved the larger end of the stick. Many of the newer items seem to focus AP, Mana, and other things that would benefit those of the magical variety. Take Ryze for example. Seraph's Embrace, Manamura, Iceborn, just to name a few. Season 3 Ryze from my opinion seems to have became even tankier and deadly than before.

Roidrage22

12-04-2012

I hate this patch new isn't always better

Eminomnom

12-04-2012

For the first time in about 16 months of playing LoL I had the feeling of just wanting to take a break from it.

Every game tonight the other team snowballed so hard it just wasn't fun at all. With the new patch I feel like the ability to make a comeback was significantly decreased to the point of where I felt more like I was playing DOTA 2. When you get that helpless feeling knowing there is nothing you can do except go back out and get reamed again.

bluestory

12-04-2012

Quote:
Understandable. When you take on a lot of change, many players will find it a little bit confusing, frustrating, etc... Because you go from understanding everything, to feeling like you don't understand a ton.

I'd give it a few games. Go play an easy vs bots game and take your time browsing the shop. Fill out your favorite character. Build the right items. Try it in a practice game or another bot game. From there, you should be in good shape.

As you learn new ways to master the game, you'll start to feel great about the progress, and the new strategies you can enact. I found it pretty overwhelming the first few games as well, but really, we think the changes will be for the better pretty quickly for all players.

To be perfectly honest, our item system was not great before, and was causing a lot of more general issues. We think that this set of changes will set the game free of a lot of problems it has had in the past.
Well I got a much much smaller HUD which this patch caused a lot of problems and there isn't any options to go back to the original making everything harder to do...

Crimson King

12-04-2012

Change is good.

Let us all bow down and worship Tzeentch for his gift. All hail the Changer of Ways.

MigeruX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Quote:
I am predicting this:

Day 0: OMG change (if you love change, you are happy, if you don't, you are nervous)
Day 1: OK, I'm starting to get the hang of this, pretty sweet
Day 2: Character X is hella OP! wow, Riot, what were you thinking? (Well, the answer is, it's hard to do this stuff perfectly all at once)
Day 3: Actually, no, character Y is hella OP!
Day 4: We hotfix nerf character Z, touch character X, and indicate that Y is on the watchlist
Day 5: OMG, character ZZ is OP, but this is pretty fun
[repeat for 1-3 patches, end up with more strategically deep and interesting game]
Day 0 through 5: OMG Ican't even read what my teammates say. This chat font size is so SMALL.

Adrynalyne

12-04-2012

Quote:

Maybe rather than changing the whole thing, you guys could've made a new map or something better.

I personally don't see this as good update as there are so many downsides to this.

Ulltheron

12-04-2012

Definatly needs some fine tuning. Some of the items lyandria's torment or whatever it is called on characters like teemo is just overkill. Hitting a shroom and losing a metric ton of your life is just not right. There are others too. Over all I am not impressed to this point. Too much at one time. If there were like half the ammount of new items introduced at one time perhaps but this is overkill and its showing on some champions.

"Day 2: Character X is hella OP! wow, Riot, what were you thinking? (Well, the answer is, it's hard to do this stuff perfectly all at once)"

This is my point. There is too much right now in my opinion to get it all right. Smaller doses I belive would have been the better way to go with the item release.

123456 ... 12