Which of the following do you consider weak, or at least highly situational?

Archmage 13 13.00%
Tenacious 12 12.00%
Relentless 13 13.00%
Wanderer 32 32.00%
Strength of Spirit 54 54.00%
They're all strong Masteries 30 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

(POLL) "Bad" Masteries?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0QPe8VDDB3

12-04-2012

Strength of Spirit is terrible. First of all, the people who would benefit the most from it (ex. Ryze, Yorick) would not delve that deep into Utility. Furthermore, the mastery gives the most benefit late game, where HP5 is useless.

Whizzard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Your tenacity argument is null. The tenacity of the mastery stacks with normal tenacity. Applying it ontop of merc treads results in more tenacity. It is not additive, but still not too bad.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggles View Post
Defender is the most useless one I've seen so far. The one where you get +1 armor and MR per enemy champion nearby

+5 a/mr is nothing

Did I mention it's a final tier defensive mastery?
that one is interesting more to tell you how many enemies are near you if you're paying attention.

the actual bonus is pretty meaningless though.

Joebags

12-04-2012

I think you're forgetting that you can stack all these masteries with their item counterparts. Normally, tenacity doesn't stack (35% reduction is the most you get). The master is worth extra because it is the only way of increasing your CC reduction beyond that 35% (unless you are a champ with built-in CC reduction like Mundo or Irelia). Same goes for the out of combat movespeed mastery. It stacks nicely with boots of mobility if you know you are going to be roaming a lot.

However, I do think strength of spirit is a pretty poor mastery. It gives you a stat that is basically only useful early game (HP regen) but you only get a non-negligible amount of it late game if you have a ton of bonus mana from items. Basically only useful on Ryze, and possibly Blitz, and even then it's not really that great.

ff6shadow

12-04-2012

Defender really seems bad. Very bad.

Strength of Spirit was a pre-existing mastery if I recall, just far higher in the tree previously. It was bad before. Still pretty bad.

I like Wanderer. But I'm a movement speed *****. Wish it could just be speed in general, all the time. But I'll take what I can get.

Tenacious I like a lot. A whole lot. Its an entirely new way to get tenacity in case you hate buying Merc treads. And even stacking multiplicatively it adds up to more tenacity then we could have before, which is great if you really want to laugh of CC,

Relentless is interesting, and something I plan to pick up whenever possible. Perma slow is very annoying and fairly common thanks to Phage and Frozen Mallet. This and the new boots of swiftness give us a way to fight back against that sort of tactic. And it's effective. Totally pissed of an Ezreal earlier when I was able to move fast enough even while exhausted to dodge his shots and his ulti to get away. I do wonder how these slow reducers stack with tenacity.

In the end, outside of Defender, these give you options. They let you diversify and alter your build as needed for match ups. Going up against a CC heavy team? Give up some offense to grab that tenacity to give you a better early game. And if you still grab Treads for the MR? Good for you, even more anti-cc for their team.

Need a little more sustain in lane and actually build some Mana? Grab Strength of Spirit to help out.

Wanderer seems good for roamers and frequent gankers.

CupcakeTrap

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggles View Post
Defender is the most useless one I've seen so far. The one where you get +1 armor and MR per enemy champion nearby

+5 a/mr is nothing

Did I mention it's a final tier defensive mastery?
Defender is pretty nice, IMO, especially for a tanky support: +2/+2 Armor/MR in lanephase.

And once you transition into the midgame, it's +5/+5. That's a reasonable package of stats.

I do agree it's not amazing, but I wouldn't call it trash. Certainly not the worst. I'd take it over SoS any day on most champs.

Mango027

12-04-2012

The biscuit is fairly useless as well, a lot of points needed for a weak one use HP/Mana pot

Jeddite

12-04-2012

Anybody know the math behind the new Perseverance talent? Assuming full health, what is the HP/5 regen bonus? At what health percentage do you get the full +6 HP/5 benefit?

i r letting me google that 4 me but i r not finding n e resultz lululululz :|

RogueRev

12-04-2012

I think Tenacious is actually one of the strongest masteries because a) it stacks with Merc Boots, and not much else does -> b) it helps if you're running boots of mobility or lucidity in jungle/support. Wanderer's not great, but it's also a first tier mastery - not many things are valuable there. Movespeed, unfortunately, is a stat that can easily become too good, so I think Riot wanted to err on the side of caution. Relentless and Archmage are meh, situational masteries. Strength of Spirit honestly seems mostly useless, considering the amount of manaless champions and the difficulty in building mana on anybody (it's fairly expensive). Also, hp5 matters most in lane, which means it's not a useful mastery late game, when someone might have a large mana pool.

octavian1127

12-04-2012

I think you're undervaluing Archmage. Especially since it stacks with a Deathcap. A full build mage could have close to 500 base AP from items, plus whatever they get from masteries and runes (67 for my AP mids). 5% is a whole lot of AP when you start with that much. End-game you're looking at 100-150g per mastery point, depending on the build.

I think Havoc is one of the most overrated masteries, personally. Tho I guess it matches Archmage for low scaling mages that only have damaging abilities.