IWillDominate Tribunal Permaban & eSports Competition Ruling

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scuzzmuggler

12-04-2012

I think the suspension of Michael Vick from the NFL is pretty relevant here. It was entirely related to activities and behaviour outside of his pro sports career. Besides his jail time, he was suspended without pay.

If you're representing any organization or group, and you're publicly known to be a real jerk, eventually they won't want you to represent them at all. If a pro sports player swears in an interview, they apologize or face consequences. This is how the world works.

If your face or name has a market value, DON'T SMEAR POO ALL OVER IT.

Lokust Phoenix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeMeGently View Post
This makes me sick. Making the details of a ban on an individual public knowledge and banning someone who's behavior has been consistent in the past without this action being taken...

I don't even know where to start with this. I mean honestly, Riot, what the hell? It's one thing to ban people who have played the game for over a year, for the exact same **** they have done for over a year with your blessing. It's another entirely to make a scapegoat of one of the people who popularized your damned game.

Could you be more full of bull?
Show me any other sport where the banning of a well known pro player from the sport for a full year would merit anything less than a press conference by the governing body of said sport.

MathMage

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzmuggler View Post
I think the suspension of Michael Vick from the NFL is pretty relevant here. It was entirely related to activities and behaviour outside of his pro sports career. Besides his jail time, he was suspended without pay.

If you're representing any organization or group, and you're publicly known to be a real jerk, eventually they won't want you to represent them at all. If a pro sports player swears in an interview, they apologize or face consequences. This is how the world works.

If your face or name has a market value, DON'T SMEAR POO ALL OVER IT.
The NFL has a list of rules of conduct that players know they will face professional consequences for violating. The question is, has Riot established the expectation that players will face professional consequences for violating the Summoner's Code? Or, alternatively, to they have some other code of professional conduct that explicitly outlines official consequences for Tribunal punishments?

Edg╦

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRMercedes View Post
@Lyte, what is your avatar (like what lore/champion skin did it come from?)
It's Baron Nasor, fool.

Maxihzb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

justice at last

ZeroKuno

12-04-2012

I am glad it's rolling into action now. Pro players should really refrain from passively influencing players behavior negatively. I like where this is going already. I've posted the issue with pro players behaviors many times already. It's a good thing everything is getting taken care of.

ShuksYzZ

12-04-2012

RIP iwdominate

Scuzzmuggler

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
The NFL has a list of rules of conduct that players know they will face professional consequences for violating. The question is, has Riot established the expectation that players will face professional consequences for violating the Summoner's Code? Or, alternatively, to they have some other code of professional conduct that explicitly outlines official consequences for Tribunal punishments?
That's a good point (and one I have no answer to). Maybe this is the beginning of just that kind of explicit code of conduct.

Arcane Azmadi

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0biusloop View Post
I'm sure this is gonna get buried in the posts, but if Riot is going to set this precedent then like half the pro players are going to get banned. What's the line? Are they going to start policing streams for bad attitudes because these players are "role models"? Or is the attitude not the problem, and only expressing the attitude in game? Where does the "role model" standard stop?

Seriously though like 50% of all the pro players that stream are ******bags and talk **** nonstop. That's the nature of a competitive game. Banning his account would have been punishment enough, having to level, re-buy champions/runes/etc would be AWFUL. To destroy someone's actual CAREER over stuff that they said in game is pretty harsh. If it's someone actively ruining games by intentionally feeding/etc ok, but not for "offensive" language.
What are you, stupid? "Seriously though like 50% of all the pro players that stream are ******bags and talk **** nonstop. That's the nature of a competitive game." NOT THIS GAME, SUCKER. Riot make the rules of this game, the community doesn't get to say "nope, we aren't going to follow them, we insist on our right to be jerks to people for no good reason", he was warned again and again and again and he didn't listen. He doesn't deserve an esports career because he wouldn't follow the rules. No-one should have ANY sympathy for him.

The precendent Riot is setting here is that pro players are subject to the same rules as everyone else. This should be a good warning to the other pros that they are NOT invulnerable. This is a good thing. Any pro who gets permabanned now, after IWillDominate has been made an example of, could only be described as "too dumb to live." Stop acting like removing a grade-A jerkass from the game is somehow a bad thing.

LeBonkers

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedricChampion View Post
first the aram now this. you should at least take Dig out to dinner because they like to be wined and dined after they've been ****ed
Considering the **** that went down with WCG and Jatt, let's call it even eh?