when lol pro's say raped in front of a woman

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

30 Helens

12-04-2012

It's colloquial usage that is highly dependent upon context. This is the way English works; a perpetual state of flux. It's the only language that evolved purely out of the necessity for mental-ease.

Much like "gay" used to mean happy, the word was later appropriated by homosexuals and then re-appropriated as a negative term by others. In the context of calling something "gay," (i.e. lame) the word now has little to do with sexual orientation. But in the context of a homosexual describing himself, it has everything to do with sexual orientation. Context dependent.

Likewise, "fagg0t" has had several meanings over the centuries.

"Cheese" is no longer just a dairy product.

When people say "raped" in game, I hardly think they are conjuring the disturbing mental imagery of true rape, but rather just black-top trash-talking about destroying an opponent.

Maybe I'm just less sensitive than others, but English changes so much it's hard to take any of this seriously. The trend is definitely regressive, but you can't stem that tide so you may as well just make peace with it and move on. Don't be a language maven, especially when your native tongue is English.

Necroneous

12-04-2012

Why do people take meaningless offense to words while disregarding their context?

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canadian Kid View Post
i just wish pro's acted more professional.
They should. They act like children a lot of the time.

Zerocaliber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

The thing that bugs me the most about this post is it treats women like delicate little flowers who can't hear a manly man say rape without getting terrified that they might be in their defenseless state. -.-

SIutzilla

12-04-2012

Oh god really? -.- If anyone gets offended by saying "get raped" in a video game they are clearly an idiot.
Not to mention the majority of intelligent girls can tell the difference.

Drukyul

12-04-2012

Why does OP hate men?

Calys Teneb

12-04-2012

Because this pic always makes me smile.

slifer556

12-04-2012

OP's name is The Canadian Kid, probably brainwashed by the political correctness in Canada.

OrnyOrnyOrny

12-04-2012

Because women are the only people in the world that get raped.

Queue the altar boys and kidnapped children.

Alent

12-04-2012

ITT - the reason male gamers have such a bad reputation. If everyone took a second to stop tearing down the random side arguments and semantics of the OP and just think about the intent here. Riot wants to have broad based appeal and it is abundantly clear that gamers in the minority (read: non white males) have a problem with the terminology that is often used. Sexism or any other of your petty, childish arguments mean absolutely nothing - this is business, not debate or political science class or amature psychology hour. I don't care about what you have to tell yourself and those around you online to cement your cyber reputation. If I were Riot I would make this absolutely clear: Players, scour the word from your gaming vocabulary or face the wrath of the Tribunal. Pro-players that represent the genre - start speaking and acting like professionals or face the diminishing revenue of a dissuaded potential customer base.

This isn't about being a manly man or a white knight, this is about making people feel comfortable while they participate in a past time that they enjoy.