Nami's lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrHarz

12-04-2012

Just starting this up as a general thread about her lore.

Quote:
"Nami channels the primal energies of the ocean, harnessing its mystical restorative properties and commanding the raw power of the tides themselves. Though many doubted her, Nami had the bravery and determination to take on a dangerous quest when no one else would. Now her people believe she is the Tidecaller, a chosen one destined to complete a quest essential to the survival of her entire race.

The Tidecaller's sacred duty is to acquire a moonstone, a powerful object found only in the towering reaches of the surface world. Her people, the Marai, rely on the moonstone's light to ward off the terrors of the depths. However, the stone's power lasts only one hundred years. Before its light fades, the Tidecaller must journey into the Great Deep, retrieve an abyssal pearl, and carry it to the surface. There, on the night of the winter solstice of the hundredth year, the Tidecaller makes a ceremonial exchange with a landwalker bearing a moonstone. By trading the pearl for the moonstone, the Tidecaller ensures the survival of the Marai for another century.

However, in Nami's time, as the hundred years drew to a close, no Tidecaller had been found. Without a chosen one to complete the quest, her people would face disaster, but the Marai waited in faith that the Tidecaller would appear. Nami refused to sit idle, insisting that without a Tidecaller to save them, someone had to act. Bravely, she decided to begin the quest herself and ventured alone into the dangerous depths. None expected her to survive, but after six days of battles with untold horrors, Nami returned with the pearl in hand. The Marai hailed her as the new Tidecaller. All that remained was for Nami to journey to the surface and complete the exchange.

When Nami arrived at the surface, however, she found only an empty shore. She waited for days in a mystic cove, unsure of what to do. In all the legends of the Tidecallers, the bearer of the moonstone had never failed to arrive. Nami faced a choice. She knew the surface world only through tale and rumor, but the survival of the Marai depended upon her. Summoning the tide to bear her ashore, Nami began her search for the moonstone and became the first of her kind to explore the world above the ocean. She left her home behind, and vowed not to return until she had completed the Tidecaller's quest.

''I am the tide, and I cannot be turned.''
-- Nami"
From this, I gleam that Diana is terrible at her job.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

12-04-2012

Thanks for posting this for the community members.

Youso1337

12-04-2012

Nami lore is nice. Me happy.

GrimoireLaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

I like it but the importance of the ceremony taking place on the solstice kind of makes it weird to me that she waited for days before acting. I get that she didn't know what the heck to do and it's probably intended since it makes her search more dire with her people probably suffering without the moonstone but if that's the case, Nami's overall journey seems like it would be have to be rather short one or her people would be boned. Leaving us to wonder what's happening to her people with the ceremony not complete while she's waiting for days and later on when she's in the League is nice though.

Really love that she might be searching for Diana (or maybe another, new moon-related champ? =O) though

Lord Mordor

12-04-2012

i like the story for this lore...my only problem is her being in the league makes even less sense than Syndras

She is on a timetable, and the fate of her people hang in the balance...why the heck would she spend time in league matches (which would not have any effect on her people since they are not affiliated with the surface world) when she should be out searching for this moonstone?

either the timeframe for the last ritual to expire is EXTREMELY lax, or she just basically said "screw it, surface world rocks!"

MrHarz

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mordor View Post
i like the story for this lore...my only problem is her being in the league makes even less sense than Syndras

She is on a timetable, and the fate of her people hang in the balance...why the heck would she spend time in league matches (which would not have any effect on her people since they are not affiliated with the surface world) when she should be out searching for this moonstone?

either the timeframe for the last ritual to expire is EXTREMELY lax, or she just basically said "screw it, surface world rocks!"
Less sense than Syndra is way, way, too harsh.

The League is the biggest collection of adventurers, weirdos, heroes, and mystical sorts around. If she's going to find leads anywhere about the location of the moonstone she wants, it would probably be there.

That's how I'd see it, anyway.

Carmilia

12-04-2012

It was stated that Syndra did join the Fields Of Justice because she thought of it like if it was a playground. Because she wanted to test our her powers. And because she could meet people with equal traits (Annie, Xerath. I mean, they could kind of get along well considering that the 3 of them have inmense magic powers). So i dont understand how is people claiming that Syndra joining the League aint making any sense at all.

TheUltimate3

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
Just starting this up as a general thread about her lore.

From this, I gleam that Diana is terrible at her job.
I laughed out loud at this one.

Cerubois

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilia View Post
It was stated that Syndra did join the Fields Of Justice because she thought of it like if it was a playground. Because she wanted to test our her powers. And because she could meet people with equal traits (Annie, Xerath. I mean, they could kind of get along well considering that the 3 of them have inmense magic powers). So i dont understand how is people claiming that Syndra joining the League aint making any sense at all.
She spent her life in captivity with her power limited, in the intention of restraining her.

The League captures dangerous entities and limits their powers with the intention of restraining them.

Do you see now? She has no reason to join the League willingly. She'd be sending herself back into captivity after doing her whole 'teen rebellion' thing. From one prison to another. The only way she'd be there is if the summoners saw her as a threat to the world and restrained her (which would make sense, seeing as her crazy-powerful magic would be dangerous for the world's stability).

On a side note, I really like Nami's lore. It's not the first time someone's joined the League for information, and it's quite plausible she'd find her answer there, good or bad. A lot has happened in the past 100 years...

Prince Kassad

12-04-2012

Slacker Diana ftw