Shattering the concept that ELO is a measurement of a Players skill with a Champion.

12345678 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dregen

12-04-2012

Bump. I read the entire post. Comparing to what I've seen studying high solo qeue elo streams, This is literally everything you need to be a high solo q elo player, if not better.

Dino Spumoni

12-04-2012

yes. you are right.

garrotedGargoyle

12-04-2012

This is a great thread.

+1 to you OP. BUT, I'd like to argue one of your main points. (My interpretation may have been wrong, as I kind of skimmed over a good bit of the text.)

There are a few things you need to climb the ladder to diamond in my opinion.

1)Good mechanical skills.
2)Good awareness.
3)Good Decision-making abilities.
4)Ability to make those decisions work for you.
5)Ability to stay relevant when behind.
6)Understanding how to snowball correctly.

You argue that skill with X champion does not relate to climbing ELO, and instead say it is due to pretty much the things mentioned above.

However, Since i have around 300 games on Kennen, Those decisions are MUCH easier for me to make, I am much more attuned to him, making my mechanical skills better, I know what he is capable of, and what he is not capable of when hes behind. I am able to adjsut my playstyle perfectly to counter my enemies, etc.

Such flexibility only exists to a smaller degree if you are on a champion that you are only "so-so" with, or "just alright".

Familiarity with X champion will amplify all of my basic skills. While it is true that the basics are what increase ELO, Familiarity will allow you to soar the ladder faster, and higher.

The same can be said about roles.

I am much more aware of the enemies, and my teammates, and I make much better decisions for my playstyle when I play mid lane. I have a much easier time judging my own strength, my enemies strength, and also my teams strength when I am playing mid laners.

All the time when I play top lane, i go 4-0, with 50 CS over my enemy, then teamfights, and group pushes start happening, and we start falling apart because I didn't realize just how weak my team truly was.

I play alot of high-mobility champions, and Top lane just doesn't offer the same cups of tea that Mid laners do. I find that mid lane champions offer things that cover up some of my weaknesses much better than top laners do.

^ Is all an example.

It's very possible to get to Diamond while only Accelling in two roles. I'm a living example of that. I play a "so-so" Top and support. My jungle is atrocious. However, I play a very good AD/Mid.

The reason would be because that is where I am most comfortable, and I understand those champions/roles the best to allow me to create the best enviorment to make those game-changing decisions.

In my opinion, ELO reflects your basic skills, however, ELO also reflects your skill with your personal champion pool, and your skill with your role pool. Luck does indeed average out at the least; but luck also has a higher chance to be on your side, because you have 4 members with the potential to DC/AFK/Rage, while the enemy team has 5. So DCs, and AFKs are never a good excuse.

QFT

12-04-2012

then why are high elo players better?

derp youre dead

12-04-2012

"Skill of player."
Wait I thought we're done with this subject a long time ago. Why did you typed up this essay when it's essentially useless?

Faceless Voidz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Haven't read the whole thing yet, but I will work on it. Amazing read so far though.

FREE BUMP!

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Elo is a measure of your probability to win. that is all.

Teraxe

12-05-2012

You shattered a concept that no one thought was true, wow.

Talix of the 35

12-05-2012

Definitely bookmarking this to read many times.

Aeoh

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgreatone32 View Post
I was expecting a thread about Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) instead I found a mislabeled thread about the Elo rating system.

ELO = Band
Elo = Rating System.

ELO=/=Elo

If you don't understand the difference between ELO and Elo--your posts lose all credibility.
Just because the OP didn't know it was not an acronym does not mean he doesn't have a valid point of view.

12345678 ... 13