Shattering the concept that ELO is a measurement of a Players skill with a Champion.

1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sirturkey1

12-03-2012

So I only read part of the first post and stopped at the part that said elo was based on overall game skills...after that I just assumed everything else was generic obvious statements as well

ohgreatone32

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

I was expecting a thread about Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) instead I found a mislabeled thread about the Elo rating system.

ELO = Band
Elo = Rating System.

ELO=/=Elo

If you don't understand the difference between ELO and Elo--your posts lose all credibility.

Tanerian

12-04-2012

Gave it a bump. Will get into this later. Look sgood.

ShadanceWindflow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

I agree mostly with what you're saying. You need to summarize your stuff better for those that don't like to read. I like the random high level vocab.

Yes ELO is representative of core skills, but I have met tons of players who don't know how to play particular roles in ELO<1500. This is less a lot more rare of a problem after 1500.

A support who doesn't get wards... or even knows where to place them and the timing of it...and what annoys me the very most... when they leave adc hanging because they' don't want to trade themselves for a kill on the enemy adc. 50% of the time it results in a double kill for the opponent.

An adc that does nothing but farm in any and most situations. Or doesn't kno
An apc that doesn't know how much damage their full combo can do against most targets, and so they hang back until enemies are 1-2 spells away from death...
Tanks that are scared to initiate and/or flash out before they even take half their maximum hp in damage.

And it makes sense....

Supports and junglers generally have the least gold so are used to working with what they have and optimizing utility.

AP carries and ad carries are used to getting protected and raking in tons of gold.

Bruisers top are used to raking in gold as well, but they're more often called to tank later on since they have more farm than the jungle.

Top and middle lane are more accustomed to dealing with 1v2 situations. (jungler or top/mid gank)

Bottom has to learn to deal with 2v3, situations.

So if someone usually plays a role and switches, I count on them being a major liability. Not saying they can't do passably, but I think there's always some conflicting instinct when you switch roles.

ShadanceWindflow

MaiLinna

12-04-2012

I'm going to bump this real quick because I support your theory. Now I just need to sit down and read all three posts. I'll be back later to comment.

stigweard

12-04-2012

It's not an acronym! It is named for its creator, Arpad Elo.

Apollinarius

12-04-2012

Elo measures one thing, and one thing only. Your ability to win. Whether it's by cheating, choosing teams carefully, only playing in premades, playing on drugs, it is a measure of how often you win vs how often you lose.

Skill doesn't have anything to do with it. That being said, I'd always much rather have a high elo player on my team than a low elo one because, statistically, the high elo player is more likely to win a game he is in.

My general impression is that most players think they're much better than they are, and more games are decided by psychological factors like morale and patience than to actual skill at playing a role or champion.

EasymodeX

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirturkey1 View Post
So I only read part of the first post and stopped at the part that said elo was based on overall game skills...after that I just assumed everything else was generic obvious statements as well
Basically this, except what's generic and obvious to a good player is not generic and obvious to a poor player.

Lots of bad players think that your mechanical mastery with <insert champ> is relevant.

It's pretty much not.

Elo does equate indirectly to player skill, but it's the players kill at the game, not at a champ or even at a particular role in many cases. And the game doesn't care about whether you land your Q, it cares about whether or not you can make advantageous situations and avoid disadvantageous situations for your team to take towers and kill the Nexus.

WarTornPanda

12-04-2012

This is most long-winded excuse for being a bad payer that I've ever seen. Even if it were true, what difference is posting this bull**** going to make? Quit the game if you don't like it. We would be better off without toxic players like you.

1234567 ... 13