Shattering the concept that ELO is a measurement of a Players skill with a Champion.

12345612 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tekshi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Didn't read.

If you're posting to gain attention you have to write it in a way that makes it entertaining for people to want to read it. That includes shortening your post and being concise. Having a huge wall goes against writing for your intended audience.

Bianary

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcat09 View Post
Please Check the very last section labeled "One More Thing" for an explanation of why I chose to present it this way.
The "Wall of paragraphs crits you for 9000" way?

I'm afraid most value is lost when few have the patience to read the entire thing.

Sethusk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Bookmarking this to get better. Thanks for the awesome post!

shalexade

12-03-2012

Fantastic post mate.

Sadly though, will probably be ignored by the majority of the soloQ because of the hurrdurr tl;dr KDA wins games mentality of most of the people here.

Map awareness is such a massive skill to learn. The number of times I've seen my ADC go down by walking somewhere stupid (Kog, we just saw their Akali walking through that section of Jungle- might not be a good idea to sti... oh, you're dead.)

phatcat09

12-03-2012

Thank You for voicing your support.

If everyone took the time to link this post to people as much as they are quick to press the "report a player button" we'd have better informed players within a week, and fewer Tribunal cases in a month.

Or at least that would be wonderful, but still we should refer under performing players to a central source of information for playing better. Instead of barking "get better"

The Iron Back

12-03-2012

Sorry, I'm not reading all of that

Bolby

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Division Two View Post
Elo is an indication of your chance of winning a game.
My dear Watson, I believe that I can deduce that Elo is in fact, slightly factored by luck. Amazing!

phatcat09

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDjinni View Post
Good performance is necessary but not sufficient for an increase in elo. Ergo it is an indirect measure of probability of victory.

What you say would be true necessarily in a game environment like Chess, which elo was originally designed for. Chess is not dependent on pseudo-random variables such as matchmaking, and does not involve a considerable amount of risk-taking over unknown information.

To elaborate, proper chess play does not require an educated guess as to what your opponent is going to do; the entire board is in front of you and all you need to deduce is what your opponent can do based on the information given in front of you, and the proper response to it. If your opponent is doing something radically different than what you figured they would do, it shouldn't matter, because you shouldn't be making decisions on what you think they might do, but rather what they can do. You should move to block or counter the most threatening of options because you know what their most threatening moves are, unless you assume that they are a much more novice player than you are and can safely assume they can't see it.

On the other hand, League of Legends involves a lot of educated guesses and risk-taking based on missing information. Had you perfect information on what your opponent is capable of doing or trying to do, you would probably make different decisions. Given that you don't have perfect information, you can only make educated guesses (which is one of the key messages contained in the OP) since you probably don't really know your opponents play-style that well. Guess-making, even educated ones, necessarily involves some amount of luck. Like a professional poker player, you hate luck, but have to deal with it anyways. Even if you make a good play given the information in front of you but lose to a lucky hand every time you make that kind of play, you should not play differently when the odds are in your favor.

Luck should average out, but it is not a constant like gravity; this by necessity converts the relationship between good performance and a rise in elo to an indirect relationship that is dependent on other factors.

Rick182

12-03-2012

Bump. Great topic, man. People should read. Think about it this way: If you think that reading this will lose you time, think about all the time you lose in bad LoL games that you could have made better by understand a few mechanics. Stop thinking about your KDA, ADC INSTALOCK I'M MID ASHE ASHE and learn some stuff for a change.

Ech0e5

12-03-2012

Excellent post

12345612 ... 13