List of Weapons by Type

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Poeta Somnium

12-03-2012

Looking for a rare or exotic weapon to give your character that special flair? You’ll probably find one in here. Inversely, do you want to base a design around a rare and exotic weapon? Well, this list is good for that too. Are you just a weapons junky and you like to drool over things that stab, slash, maim, crush, explode, or cause general physical injury? Look no further!

*Note* This is not a comprehensive list; it is formed from my own personal knowledge on the subject and a bit of Wikipedia-delving. I have omitted certain weapons that are simply predecessors of more well-known ones or just cultural equivalents with different names. If there was a key characteristic that I felt satisfactorily distinguished one from the other, I included both, but these instances are few and far between. I see no reason to list 20+ outlandish words for “cutlass” when they are all essentially the same thing. If a weapon has already been made use of in League by an existing champion, I have made an effort to note these instances.

Due to the sheer volume of this list, as well as in concern for its maintenance and upkeep, I will at no time be including pictures or links; that’s simply too much of a formatting hassle. I’m afraid you will have to settle for copy/pasting the name of any weapon that interests you into the search engine of your choice for the details, (Google Image Search may be your best bet). In the future I may include short descriptions for more obscure or unique items, but please understand that compilation is in and of itself no easy feat!

If you think of a weapon that I have not included, by all means let me know! I will add it to its respective section, provided of course that I have not already listed a similar weapon. Feel free also to suggest weapons of a fantastical or imaginative nature, but please include a detailed description of your idea, including approximate measurements, materials, etc. Also please let me know if you found this thread helpful or insightful. If it proves to be a success I will begin brainstorming other compilations.

Melee Weapons

Knives/Daggers:
- Ballistic Knife
- Bayonet
- Boot Knife
- Bowie Knife
- Butterfly Knife
- Dirk
- Golok
- Khanjar
- Misericorde (Also known as a Rondel Dagger)
- Mughal
- Navaja
- Parrying Dagger (Fiora)
- Pugio
- Push Dagger
- Rampuri
- Sai
- Shiv (Shaco)
- Stiletto
-Straight Razor
- Switchblade
- Throwing knife(Katarina)
- Trench knife (Rengar, to a degree.)
- Trident Dagger

Swords:
- Broadsword
- Chicken Sickles
- Cinquedea
- Claymore (Kayle)
- Cutlass (Gangplank)
- Dao (Master Yi)
- Dha
- Executioner's sword
- Falchion
- Flamberge
- Flammenschwert
- Gladius
- Harpe
- Hook Swords
- Kampilan
- Katana (Master Yi.)
- Katzbalger
- Khanda
- Khopesh (Diana)
- Kilij
- Kris (Or Keris)
- Kukri
- Machete
- Ninjatō (Shen)
- Pulwar
- Rapier (Fiora)
- Sabre
- Scimitar
- Shinai (Kendo stick)
- Spadroon
- Swordbreaker
- Szabla
- Tanto
- Wakizashi
- Xiphos
- Yataghan
- Zanbatō
- Zulfiqar
- Zweihänder (Garen, Riven)

Hammers/Axes:
- Adze
- Cleaver (Dr. Mundo)
- Craghammer
- Dane Axe (Viking Axe) (Olaf)
- Double-bit Axe (Sion)
- Epsilon Axe
- Hatchet
- Horseman's Pick
- Hurlbat (Throwing Axe)
- Mallet (Poppy)
- Maul
- Mordenkrand
- Ono
- Parashu
- Post Maul
- Shepherd's Axe
- Sledgehammer
- Spike Maul
- Tabarzin
- Tomahawk
- Urgrosh
- War Axe
- War Hammer (Jayce)
- War Pick
- Wood Axe

Clubs/Maces
- Baton
- Cane
- Cudgel
- Flail (Sejuani)
- Gada
- Jutte
- Kubotan
- Morning Star (Mordekaiser)
- Pernach
- Scourge
- Shepherd’s Crook (Lulu)
- Tonfa
- Virge

Staffs/Polearms:
- Bardiche
- Bec de Corbin
- Bisento
- Bo
- Brandistock
- Corseque
- Fauchard
- Glaive (Hecarim)
- Guan Do
- Guisarme
- Halberd
- Lance (Jarvan IV)
- Military Fork
- Monk's Spade
- Naginata
- Pike
- Quarterstaff (Wukong)
- Qiang (Xin Zhao)
- Scythe
- Spear
- Swordstaff
- Three-section staff
- Trident (Fizz)
- Voulge

Glove/Gauntlet weapons:
- Bagh nakh
- Brass Knuckles
- Cestus
- Claw Knuckles
- Iron Rings
- Katara
- Pata
- Roman Scissor
- Spiked Gauntlets

Other:
- Bandalore
- Bat’leth (Renekton)
- Cat O' Nine Tails
- Coin Blades
- Deer Horn Knives
- Emei Piercers
- Gunblade
- Japanese War Fan (Karma)
- Kama (Akali)
- Kusarigama
- Meteor Hammer
- Nunchaku
- Ring Blade
- Sheng Biao (rope dart)
- Sickle (Fiddlesticks)
- Spiked Knuckles
- Tekko
- Ulu
- Whip
- Whip Sword
- Wind and Fire Wheels

Ranged:

Bladed:
- Atlatl
- Boomerang (Sivir)
- Chakram
- Javelin (Pantheon/Nidalee)
- Kunai (Katarina)
- Shunpo
- Shuriken (Kennen)
- Throwing hatchets (Olaf)

Bows:
- Compound Bow
- Crossbow (Vayne)
- Longbow (Varus)
- Pistol Crossbow
- Recurve Bow (Ashe)
- Repeating Crossbow

Guns:
- Apache Revolver
- Arquebus
- Carbine (Caitlyn)
- Colt Defender Mark I
- Derringer
- Flintlock Pistol (Gangplank)
- Flintlock Rifle
- Gatling Gun (Corki)
- Gunblade
- Harmonica Gun
- Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen Revolver
- Lemat Revolver
- Musket
- Nock Gun
- Pistol
- Revolver
- Rifle
- Sawed-Off Shotgun
- Shotgun (Graves)

Other:
- Blowgun (Teemo)
- Bolo (Rengar)
- Sling
- Slingshot

Explosives:

- Claymore
- Dynamite
- E.M.P
- Flaregun
- Flashbang
- Frag Grenade
- Grenade Launcher
- Hand Mortar
- Incendiary Grenade
- Landmine
- Molotov Cocktail
- Mortar
- Plastic Explosives
- Rocket-Propelled Grenade
- Tear Gas

Martial Arts:

Who needs weapons? Weapons are for sissies. Don’t be a sissy. Give Lee Sin a run for his money by developing a kit based on some of these martial art disciplines!

*Note; these are just the ones that I have some knowledge/experience in personally. I will post more given some time to research their styles and techniques so that I may provide an adequate description.

- Okinawan Karate: “Empty Hand.” Karate can be thought of as a more rigid take on Kung Fu; the strikes and blocks are very crisp, deliberate, and solid, whereas many disciplines of Kung Fu (not all) are more fluid. Okinawan Karate is the “original” Karate, developed by farmers who had no way to fight back against those who oppressed them. Other styles have since cropped up in mainland Japan, though I can’t say for sure how they differ from traditional Karate. (Fun fact: the “crane” style famously depicted in The Karate Kid is not Karate, it is in fact a discipline of South Chinese Kung-Fu. The Crane style would become integrated in Okinawan Karate somewhere in the early/mid 1900’s, but it is not *technically* Karate.)

- Wing Chun: A very fluid and precise form of Kung Fu; the practitioner focuses on holding their center of gravity and remaining loose and relaxed. Wing Chun strikes are fast and many, but there is very little follow-through or emphasis on power, nor are there any leaps or spins; it is believed that a fully committed attack leaves one open for counter-attack should it fail. By chaining several quick strikes in rapid succession Wing Chun wears down the opponent steadily while remaining passive and adaptable to the opponent. Wing Chun is a close relative of the aforementioned crane style.

- Tai Chi Chuan or “Sun Style:” Classified as an “internal” form of Kung Fu, it is very heavily influenced by Taoist philosophy. It favors open-handed strikes and “pushes” over punches or kicks, designed to knock the opponent off balance. This style is characterized by circular hand movements and precise, intricate footwork. You may see old ladies practicing this at your local park as a low-impact exercise, but don’t be mistaken; at full speed these motions are devastating.

- Zui Quan: “Drunken Kung-Fu.” Highly iconic; the user appears “drunk” or otherwise unable to fight in order to lull the opponent into a false sense of security. The user stumbles around seemingly aimlessly, while in reality they are moving between very deliberate stances. Practitioners of Zui Quan are extremely flexible and attack from awkward angles and positions, always appearing to be on the verge of losing their balance, all the while being in perfect control.

- Capoeira: A highly technical and very quick style with lots of flips, spins, and gymnastic tomfoolery; constant motion keeps the opponent off balance. Requires extreme agility, flexibility, and athleticism. Originated in Brazil. Flashy to the point of uselessness. But even if all you do is flip around and not actually hit anything, at least you’ll look cool.

- Hapkido/Aikido: My personal favorites; these styles both revolve around redirecting your opponent’s strength and manipulating them through painful joint-locks and pressure points. These styles demand tranquility and cool-headedness to master. Aikido is based more around manipulating an opponent’s inertia to take them to the ground and force them into submission (or break some bones), while Hapkido is a bit more well-rounded, involving some strikes and kicks to supplement joint manipulation techniques and throws. Both styles are descendants of Jujitsu.

- Tae Kwon Do: While it’s one of the most popular martial arts, I actually don’t have any experience in this one. I have however sparred with people trained in Tae Kwon Do and have come to the conclusion that it boils down to a fetish for jump-spinning hook kicks and jump-spinning roundhouse kicks. (Seriously. If you can do either one of these, you’ve mastered half of Tae Kwon Do.) Not a lot of punching from what I’ve seen; very footwork-oriented. I’ll need to dig up further research, but it’s worth mentioning anyway.

- Muay Thai: Another one I don’t have any training in personally, but have fought against. Muay Thai is all power and aggression, and much of the popular MMA fighting is rooted in this and Vale Tudo. Muay Thai is characterized by boxing-style handwork and monstrous mid-section kicks, as well as some ground grappling and joint-locks. I can firmly attest that the non-stop aggression of a Muay Thai rush poses cause for concern to a lifelong practitioner of more passive martial arts (like this guy), especially in a ground-grappling situation. Muay Thai is all about bringing the hurt, taking the opponent down, and applying the hurt. Usually followed up with more hurt.

Omnifinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

May I add to your list?

Swords:
-Xiphos - More often than not used as a secondary weapon, but y'know...

Other:
-Meteor Hammer - Not sure if this was excluded due to similarities with the rope-dart, but it's definitely more of a heavy hitter.
-Cat o' nine tails (or any variation of whip)

Just a few off the brain.

Poeta Somnium

12-03-2012

Updated.

ValorAndGlory

12-03-2012

this is a Sword and no I am not kidding.

The Harpe.

A curved blade on the end of a pole, used for decapitation.

Here is a picture.

Poeta Somnium

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValorAndGlory View Post
this is a Sword and no I am not kidding.

The Harpe.

A curved blade on the end of a pole, used for decapitation.

Here is a picture.
Interesting! You would think it would be classified as a polearm of sorts, but it isn't. Added it to the list.

ValorAndGlory

12-03-2012

the ancient Romans are a weird bunch, Perseus used a sword like the Harpe to decapitate Medusa in the literal translation of his myth. That is were in fact I got the idea from.

Katsuni

12-03-2012

Thanks for this one as well! I was going to suggest adding various martial art styles, as those are remarkably varied as well, but yeu already beat me to it =3

Good work! Sometimes the weapon yeu use can be a big deal in how yeu fight! Keep in mind that a champion throwing around a claymore isn't going to have nearly the finesse of someone using a three section staff. Build yeur character's style and "feel" around a weapon type, and it can really help to capture that overall personality yeu're going for ^.^

NA Rukhron

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet Ultima View Post
- Capoeira: A highly technical and very quick style with lots of flips, spins, and gymnastic tomfoolery; constant motion keeps the opponent off balance. Requires extreme agility, flexibility, and athleticism. Originated in Brazil. Flashy to the point of uselessness. But even if all you do is flip around and not actually hit anything, at least you’ll look cool.
With an aerial double kick that hits the head twice at the same fatal spot I'd say it is totally useless...
People see others dancing and disdain the fighting style, I've seen a Kung Fu fighter being knocked out by a single kick he didn't even spot before it connected to his head.

Poeta Somnium

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Rukhron View Post
With an aerial double kick that hits the head twice at the same fatal spot I'd say it is totally useless...
People see others dancing and disdain the fighting style, I've seen a Kung Fu fighter being knocked out by a single kick he didn't even spot before it connected to his head.
Permit me to share something with you. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-nfJxgt6Gs

This is of course an isolated incident, (and is in fact from a movie I believe) but it demonstrates my general perception of the form. I studied it for around a year, did my fair share of backflips, aerials and butterfly kicks, but in the end it didn't have any depth to it. It was flashy, it was flamboyant, it was superfluous. It was a whole lot of "art" with some "martial" on the side.

Granted, in a *real* fight, a street brawl, most martial arts are really pretty obsolete in terms of mechanics unless you can get the first hit in; if you get blindsided all the honed technique and strategy goes out the window and you have to rely on less traditional methods to get yourself some breathing room before you even have a chance to implement any of the martial art techniques. My issue isn't with capoeira's techniques or approach; all martial arts are unrealistic when it is much easier to kick an attacker in the crotch and be done with it. My issue with capoeira is that it is empty.

Coming to capoeira after almost five years of Karate, four years of joint Wing Chun/Tai Chi, and another four of Aikido/Hapkido, the style offered nothing in the way of spiritual strength. There was no concept of ki/chi, no philosophy, no balance of mind and body. Everything was technique for the sake of technique.

Can capoeira be a devastating discipline? Absolutely. Can it teach you anything beyond that? No. If I was interested solely in being devastating, I'd carry a gun. =P

But of course, this is just my impression. In terms of character design, there are all sorts of awesome things you could do with it. I'm just a little biased with capoeira's principles, or lack thereof.

Omnifinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Me again! I have a few more.

Staffs/Polearms:
- Monk's Spade

Other:
- Coin Blades (I believe they go in this section...)
- Emei Piercers (I suggest looking these up. I wouldn't be able to justify them with my description)
- Iron Rings