When Should You Roam and When Should You Farm?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

I've been having a lot of trouble with this recently. I'll leave my lane, gank, maybe go take a tower, shop, then return and find myself 2 levels below my opponent and at his mercy. Sometimes this happens later in the game, too. I'll take dragon and steal some buffs, maybe win a small skirmish, then return to lane and find my opponent is level 18 already. I try to farm, but they chase me off because the towers don't phase them anymore.

I think I'm roaming too much, as my CS is also a lot lower than it used to be, and almost always lower than my opposing laner's at the end of the game. (I won a game just the other day. 14/4/17 with only 85 CS. >.<;;; )

Mid lane's especially hard for me to get CS, because as soon as a tower's down, it seems everyone thinks I don't need anymore. I can't go top because that's top's farm, I can't take the jungler's camps, I can't take bot's because that's the AD Carry's, and hell, the support will take it all as soon as he gets the chance. I need farm too! I need levels too! Why does everyone waltz up and take it from the mid lane as soon as he gets a chance to breathe after winning your bottom lane and dragon fights so he can go back to farming? That's just not fair.

When's a good time to go back to lane? Are there times I just shouldn't leave at all?

Edit: I just wanted to mention that with Ahri, I roam a lot. With Zyra, I usually just farm all the things unless I can arrange a gank from my jungler so we can double gank someplace or steal a buff. Other than that, I stay and farm. It seems better in her interests to do so, because even though my jungler and top may be 0/5, I easily win teammfights as long as I keep breathing, you know?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wreak Havock

Senior Member

11-30-2012

You should roam only when your lane is pushed to their tower and when if you do decide to gank a lane don't overstay your welcome. If you don't see any opportunities to gank just return to your lane.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryuben

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Minions to kill, farm.
Lane pushed to tower, take jungle/roam.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tartarus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Most roaming champions like to burst down a creep wave/push to the enemy tower, and then roam off. This is also a decent time to back. Another thing to remember is that a cannon minion will spawn every 3 waves. This gives a bit of extra gold/exp for that wave, and it hurts a bit more if you miss that one.

Typically, for a mid champion, your jungler will let you take the wraiths, giving a small boost in cs. Make sure to ask nicely before though, as making your jungler rage is counterproductive. If your jungler is doing something like ganking elsewhere, that is pretty much a sign of the wraiths being fair game at that moment due to the short respawn timer. You can also take the enemy wraiths if you determine that it is safe to do so.

One other problem that you could be having is taking too long at the shop. Figure out what you want before you get back to he platform, buy it, and then head back to get exp/gold as soon as possible. If you are just waiting around, you might as well be dead.

You might also try spectating a few games of professional players to see what they do to cs and when.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreak Havock View Post
You should roam only when your lane is pushed to their tower and when if you do decide to gank a lane don't overstay your welcome. If you don't see any opportunities to gank just return to your lane.
Yeah, I've been staying to help take the tower and defend against junglers in case they come, and then usually to take dragon. I could go back to lane, push out the creep wave, then dragon just as easily though. :/ And save my tower. My tower's usually the first to go because I'm never there.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brompelstiltskin View Post
Most roaming champions like to burst down a creep wave/push to the enemy tower, and then roam off. This is also a decent time to back. Another thing to remember is that a cannon minion will spawn every 3 waves. This gives a bit of extra gold/exp for that wave, and it hurts a bit more if you miss that one.

Typically, for a mid champion, your jungler will let you take the wraiths, giving a small boost in cs. Make sure to ask nicely before though, as making your jungler rage is counterproductive. If your jungler is doing something like ganking elsewhere, that is pretty much a sign of the wraiths being fair game at that moment due to the short respawn timer. You can also take the enemy wraiths if you determine that it is safe to do so.

One other problem that you could be having is taking too long at the shop. Figure out what you want before you get back to he platform, buy it, and then head back to get exp/gold as soon as possible. If you are just waiting around, you might as well be dead.

You might also try spectating a few games of professional players to see what they do to cs and when.
I watch RF Legendary almost exclusively, and I've noticed his running back to farm creeps so they don't get wasted at an empty tower. I've been trying to do that as well, but I can't help but feel that if I don't win the other lanes, we're going to lose.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luhz

Senior Member

11-30-2012

you roam when you have nothing to farm

meaning you've pushed your lane and took the wraiths and your opponent is under their turret


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tetramaster

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Very champ dependent.

Also, don't leave your lane if the enemy is in it.

Like, even if your team is doing dragon, if they've got enough damage their (AD carry+ Jungler is plenty) and there's no contest, go back to lane or quickly head back to shop.

Certain AP champs are far superior farmers (Morganna, Karthus, Katarina) and against them, you really do NOT want to leave your lane for very long since you will lose more than 1 creep wave if you take too long.

If you're ganking, watch the enemies' reactions. If they back off once you hit Dragon, turn around and don't bother wasting your time trying to gank. Also, ask ahead of time to see if bot lane knows where the wards are to see if it's even worthwhile.

If you're getting shoved out of lane, you're going to be behind unless you can get some ganks to equalize the lane a bit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetramaster View Post
Very champ dependent.

Also, don't leave your lane if the enemy is in it.

Like, even if your team is doing dragon, if they've got enough damage their (AD carry+ Jungler is plenty) and there's no contest, go back to lane or quickly head back to shop.

Certain AP champs are far superior farmers (Morganna, Karthus, Katarina) and against them, you really do NOT want to leave your lane for very long since you will lose more than 1 creep wave if you take too long.

If you're ganking, watch the enemies' reactions. If they back off once you hit Dragon, turn around and don't bother wasting your time trying to gank. Also, ask ahead of time to see if bot lane knows where the wards are to see if it's even worthwhile.

If you're getting shoved out of lane, you're going to be behind unless you can get some ganks to equalize the lane a bit.
Oh, okay, thank you.