Age Limit On Competing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kinzoku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

So on the stream I heard some one said something about 16 year olds cant play in LoL tournies?
Whats the age limit and why?

Ramachese

11-30-2012

I suspect there are legal implications due to the monetary prizes plus the fact that it is generally more challenging for someone still living at home to travel as many of these tournements do. There is also the pure liability the tourney organizers bring on themselves when allowing minors to play especially given the typical after parties that these things have (and I suspect this last is the biggest reason).

Mind you I'm not positive but having been responsible for organizing stuff like this in the past these are pretty educated guesses.

Bullettime7

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramachese View Post
I suspect there are legal implications due to the monetary prizes plus the fact that it is generally more challenging for someone still living at home to travel as many of these tournements do. There is also the pure liability the tourney organizers bring on themselves when allowing minors to play especially given the typical after parties that these things have (and I suspect this last is the biggest reason).

Mind you I'm not positive but having been responsible for organizing stuff like this in the past these are pretty educated guesses.
This.

Lil Indian Boy

11-30-2012

couldve sworn theres a pro team with a 14 year old support

BigPatches

11-30-2012

Blame drunken Nyjacky

chuckdeez59

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgecious View Post
couldve sworn theres a pro team with a 14 year old support

maybe, but in america we have child labor laws...so you can't work befoer 16 i believe. Even tho league is a game it's still a job.

I'm not sure how our laws would apply to other countries on this.

Kinzoku

11-30-2012

And I think they just said something about Scarra being too young for S3?
I think this is pretty stupid and makes E-sports look bad
MLG Does not do this?

xcipher64

11-30-2012

What is sad is there are teams that qualify for the tourney but one or more members have to be substituted for the actual tourney.

xLindrea

11-30-2012

It's just like in Golf and the PGA Tour.. you can be 16 and be a prodigy and probably be top 5 in the world, but you can't join the PGA until 18 because of the monetary winnings.

Cerys

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushyy View Post
So on the stream I heard some one said something about 16 year olds cant play in LoL tournies?
Whats the age limit and why?
There's probably a soft limit of 18, because then you are an adult and can enter into contracts more easily. This doesn't just have to do with labor laws and things like that. There's a lot of things that you can't really give consent on before you're 18. This is why, for a lot of contests on like... Nickelodeon or whatever, you'll see mention of needing your parent's written consent/permission to enter the contest, etc.

I imagine it is POSSIBLE to enter an LoL tournament if you go through the proper protocol, though. This would probably involve needing your parents permission, having your parents go with you to the tournament and be your chaperones, your parents agreeing to accept responsibility for anything you do(like if you rage and throw a monitor on the ground or something, lol), etc.

The tournament -might- allow it, but then they might not, too. The hassle and potential risks are just greater and it adds a lot more difficulty to the tournament organizer's job.