So, I figure I'm just bad.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anubis664

Recruiter

11-30-2012

Hello all,
I've been playing league for the longest time. (About 4-5k games played) I've never tried going on the forums but I've been trying to become a pro at league. I have started streaming and such, decided I should join in on the forums for additional information. But I've been having such terrible luck lately. Playing like an ice cream sandwich stuck between two car seats on a hot summer day. Just looking around for general tips and such about how to become better. I have great games and bad games. But the bad games I learn nothing from it. Anyone know how to know where I need improvement? If I'm streaming and anyone is able to give me tips it would be amazing. http://www.twitch.tv/Anubis664 is my stream. So anyone out there, feel free to critic me. Just constructive criticism would be great.

Thanks all,
Anubis.

Ronyk

11-30-2012

+1 for trying to better yourself.

You've been playing longer than I have, so any information I would give you is probably moot point.

The Basics:
Communicate with your team.
Don't freak out if somebody does poorly (an angry summoner doesn't think straight)
Sight is safety ( ie, wards win games)
Know your opponents (both the players and the champions)
Know your allies (both the players and the champions)
Most importantly, learn from your mistakes.

Lulu Loves Me

11-30-2012

ITT: Players lower elo than the OP giving him tips.

Kahlebb

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm Vayne View Post
ITT: Players lower elo than the OP giving him tips.
Yeah, that always amuses me.

Though I tend to be one of those people (in everything!) that is able to understand/teach things better than I can do them myself.

So sometimes I give people the benefit of the doubt here.

Anubis664

Recruiter

11-30-2012

Well anything is better than nothing I suppose. I have to remember to keep the basics flowing through my head. I just ignore people if they begin to rage. But I feel like I'm just sitting at the same skill level I'm at, not seeing any improvement.

Skaliton

11-30-2012

rony is pretty spot on there, I will say IF you don't see an enemy (or have a reason to know where they are..like just watched him recall) assume they are in the bush about to gank you (or wherever is the closest place they could be without you seeing them)

Do not trade kills unless it is first blood (and you will get it) or it is something like support (your team) for carry (their team)

uhm objectives matter not kills (so if its dragon or the enemy herp derp..get dragon)

Baron don't wait until your team clearly has the game won before taking it (I've seen some teams wait until they have 2 or 3 inhibs down already) if at say 25 mins you manage to kill 3 of them without your team being really weak (meaning every1 at half hp) for god sakes get the buff the 3 of them can't stop you (unless you do something really wrong or they have a specialized person for that..like darius or fid)

Luhz

11-30-2012

I think that after playing 5k games it's not that you're bad strategically. You clearly dont need advice on when to push or where to ward or kills and objectives etc - it's just adapting to each game and each situation that you might need to work on - and for that I can only advise trying out new things in different situations. dont be afraid to change build or sacrifice one item for another depending on different situations

Runix

11-30-2012

I have not played nearly as many games as the OP, but I also felt myself plateauing out and not advancing. What has helped me start to improve again is more focus on the early game, and specifically on the phase leading up to First Blood and the first few team fights.

I used to just auto-pilot through the early game; just farm minions, avoid ganks, try to go in for a kill when the jungler came. Then I'd wake up mid-game feeling way behind on kills and deaths and farm, saying "Hey, what happened?"

What I've started doing is focusing on getting as many small advantages early game as possible. Most of that is from steady harassment in lane. I used to not bother trying to take little shots at the other side; now, I try to take as many shots as I can get, without missing out on too much farm. Those little pokes make a difference in helping soften the other side up for an attack, and also help zone out the other side and force them to miss out on farm if they want to avoid damage.

I also focus a lot more on awareness early game. So many games, the direction of the game is set by an early gank where jungler and mid drop down to bot lane for a four on two. I now try to play much more carefully when any lane is missing. Conversely, I try to play more aggressively when I know where their jungler is.

Overall, I've found that if you go on auto-pilot through the early game, it's really hard to turn it around if you fall behind by mid-game. On the other hand, if you pay a lot of attention to the early game, you set yourself up for a much more successful mid-game and end-game. But that means paying a lot of attention to a lot of small details; every minion kill, every auto-attack, every position of every player on the map makes a difference, and you have to pay attention to all that and react from it in order to have the best early game possible.

Anubis664

Recruiter

11-30-2012

Will try it, that is def one of my problems. I'm too hesitant to try out new items and such. I'm bad at item building. I just know "Oh look adc getting fed, build armor." I mean I have the mechanics and such down. I'm just terrible at what item to build and when, I don't make my own builds. I just have looked at guides and seen what items work on what champ, then go on to build that item when I see it as a good time. Does anyone have any good tips on how I could go at getting better at knowing when to buy what item and why? I mean the pros probably know the in-depth reason to build masteries/runes/items which way. Or maybe I just get TOO into the thought process that I overlook the simple reason behind items.

Also, thanks everyone for chipping in on trying to help improve myself. This community is great.

Anubis664

Recruiter

11-30-2012

Sorry for the double post but just thought about what I was needing improvement on but don't know how to fix it. Item building and the other big one I just thought of, I don't know how to come back when I'm behind, I usually end up (if I do bad early game) falling farther and farther behind. So any tips on how to fix either of these would be much appreciated!