Riven ~ Shattered Exile

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ira Nibanabane

11-30-2012

I love Riven as a champion, she's been my main since I was able to use her because she stuck out to me as special. What made her special was how relatively plain she was.
She was not gifted with some uncanny strength, no special powers that made her stand out, no astounding history or lineage. She was only a soldier driven to rise by her beliefs. In short I found her appealing in how human she is.

However, I always felt while Riven's story was beautifully done for what was done with it, a huge hole was left in it between the invasion of Ionia to her league judgement. This is just my attempt at bridging the gap a little. It's relatively sloppy but I hope it does some justice to her character.
__________________________________________________ _______

"Looks like someone needs our help," the scientist's eyes were glowing with a maniacal satisfaction as he spoke.
"Let's move, it wouldn't do to keep out allies waiting."

Please get here in time, the woman thought. Her white hair danced behind her as she rushed into the fray anew. She saw the youngest member of her unit in position to be attacked from behind and dashed forward to intercept the assailant. The attacker found himself leaping at a different target than his original intent and was pushed back by the woman's massive blade; he cut lengthwise in half just as his feet touched the ground.
"Only the strong survive, Jyone," she said to the young man.
Jyone nodded in acknowledgement and went back to the task of dispatching the opponent in front of him, with renewed vigor.
She called out to her men, "Flare's off, hold them!" Though she conveyed steady confidence, she hoped they'd have reinforcements to help make up for her oversight of the surprise. The Ionians had the advantage from the ambush, but Fury Company was not going to surrender. If the Ionians could defeat them in battle then they deserved this victory. The strong would prevail.

Her men fought valiantly for what seemed like half an hour, finally being forced to collapse to a fully defensive formation. Their back were to each other and half of the company was either dead or dying. The Ionians were making no haste to end this; reveling in the despair of their surrounded and dwindling Noxian opposition. The woman tightened her grip on her sword. One way or another, she aimed to end this.
She was about to move forward to attack when she heard a crack and subsequent reverberations. The sound was slightly familiar, which gave a sense of comfort until a second feeling of dread and anger overcame her. She knew that sound. There was an explosion of light in front of her that sent some of the Ionians flying. She spun around to look for the source, but a second explosion hit the edge of the Noxian formation at that time and sent the battlefield into chaos. The Zaunite Melters had opened fire on them.
As the artillery continued to strike the area around her, she was deafened to anything but her heartbeat and time seemed to slow down. She became lost in her thoughts, passively watching her company, and the Ionians alike, caught between fighting, fleeing and tearing at their flesh to try and avoid a fate that made death a welcome friend.
This isn't what we were trained for, this isn't right.
The Ionians were strong, if we couldn't beat
them with our strength, they should survive.
Things shouldn't be like this...not like this...
Suddenly, the woman was tackled to the ground, shaking her from her daze.
"Are you alright?" Jyone's familiar face looked down at her, "You're strong...enough to survive this." His speech was labored, "be strong enough...for all of us, Riven." The chemical barrage was eating away at Jyone...
Riven...
as it spread over his body, it started to melt the skin from his head...
Riven?...
She pushed the corpse off of her and began to run...
Riven?...
somehow she avoided being hit, though others on her escape route fell to the same gruesome fates at those behind her...
RIVEN?

She awoke with a gasp, her heart racing and her breathing hastened, but Riven recovered quickly. This was the sixth day she'd awakened like this. It still felt real in her dreams, however, in her wake she knew the horror had passed.
"That's two nights in a row, dear," said the Ionian woman next to her. The elder woman was a mother of two who's husband had gone to fight the Noxian invasion. "Maybe you should see a healer."
Riven shook her head. She hadn't said much since the familly brought her in, but the woman and children didn't seem to mind much, nor did they take offence to her refusal of meals the first several times. They had carried her into their home, a good distance from where she finally collapsed from exhaustion on the roadside. There was something to be adminred in the kindness of these people. They, so willingly, took a stranger into their home durring a time of war; a stranger with a weapon such as hers and clothes stained with blood.
"I doubt there is a medicine for this," Riven said at last, sitting up, then rising from the bed.
"Even turmoil of the mind can be resolved, perhaps a sort of meditation would do you well. You're a soldier, right?"
"Ye..." Riven stopped immediately after starting the response. It suddenly occured to her that she was no longer a soldier of Noxus; undoubtedly left for dead after the attack by their Zaunite "allies". Their mechanical monstrosities and chemical weapons were a mockery of Noxus' teachings, but... they were allowed such acts, and they would know no significant punishment, if any. This much was clear to her. How far had Noxus fallen, what was High Command thinking to allow, no encourage the use of machines in battle; their battle? Riven shook her head slowly at these realizations and finally gave a response to the patient mother.
"No, not anymore."

owlmazing

12-04-2012

i feel like riven needs her own movie

Ira Nibanabane

01-22-2013

In the coming days, Riven tried to work off what debt she felt toward the family, but they seemed to require little to be done and, at the mother's insistance, Riven left to pursue some peace of mind.
As she traveled to a temple the Ionian mother had directed her toward, Riven noticed a common trait of these people was their spirit. Though the war front was mere days away from their homes, they stood optimistic together; seemingly shaken little by the events that had transpired, but rather ready to face them. The Ionians were not better armed than the Noxian soldiers, nor apparently better trained. What was it that made them so formidable in battle?
Riven had seen their strength firsthand. She knew they had some strength, that allowed them to stand up to, what should be, impossible odds against them. However, try as she may, she couldn't even strike up an idea of what the strength of Ionia was. It wasn't until she arrived at the temple that she had even started to piece together a guess at the source.

The temple building was larger and far more ornate than anywhere else Riven had seen on the island, thus far. It was also amazingly busy. As she approached, there seemed to be a steady flow of people coming to and leaving the area. The people were from all walks of life and monetary classes, but if there was one cosistancy among their looks, it was that those departing from the place had a look Riven could only describe as contentment.

Riven decided to leave her sword at the entrance as it was unlikely she'd need it here and it shouldn't be a likely target of theft due to the sheer size and weight of it, but it always felt odd not to have it on her person. After recieving it from high command, the sword had rarely left arm's reach. In a way, she felt bare without it. Riven paused after taking the sword from her back, placing her hand on the cloth wrapping above the rune etched nearest the handle. She took a moment to trace over the rune through the cloth, feeling the tinge of power from the Noxian magics imbued within the blade, before finally setting it down.

Inside the building was a remarkable scene. It almost looked like a market place, and it took Riven a moment before determining otherwise. People had areas sectioned off for their own and their family's use, there were tables and many items upon them, but they all seemed to be purposed to some form of meditation or worship. What's more, when the people left, they took their tables, mats, chairs and garbage, but left items like a tree of money, golden icons and even packages of untouched food. After a time, some monks would come to remove the left behind items from the room and then, shortly thereafter, another person would start to set up their own spread.
She must have seemed out of place, just standing around for so long watching people, because she was then approached by one of the monks of the temple.
"You've chosen an interesting time to visit Ionia. However, by some fortune we have remained safe here and, with some further, will stay as such. What brings you here sister? You appear perhaps as troubled as our lands at the front of battle."
Regrets, was the first responce that came to mind. "I was told this would be a place that can help ease the mind, is that true?"
The monk seemed to think over the question a moment, "If you seek a medicine or miracle cure, we cannot help you, but the way to bring stability to the mind, in our teachings, is to first enforce that of the spirit."
"Then, how should I proceed?"

The monk allowed her to gather her things prior to taking her before the master of the place. It would be by his word if she might stay with them to study or not. On the initial meeting, he asked for only basic information; her name and why she was here. However, the air in the room quickly grew heated when he recognised the markings upon her gauntlet.
"Why does a Noxian seek assistance from Ionia," he asked. His voice boomed with power, though he appeared quite calm; unlike those around him, who started eyeing Riven with gazes of both worry and hatred. The master continued to watch her steadily.
She wanted to let them know that she was no longer tied to Noxus, but she couldn't tell them everything she'd experienced; it just wasn't something she could stand to say aloud, living it time and again in her head was almost too much. She needed to gain thier trust somehow though. Her hand went to touch her sword in consolation and suddenly she knew how to prove herself.
Removing the cloth wrapping from around the blade, she revealed the black sword to all in the room. The large stone blade stood testament to the Noxian ideal of power, the runes etched into it defined it as a weapon of her country and, to those who knew their ways, as a symbol of significance. A few men moved toward her upon revealing her sword, but the master called them off, with a motion of his hand. Riven placed the end of the sword on the floor and held the handle so it set at an angle to the ground. She traced over the the runes on the blade once, then took a deep breath and thought about everything that had happened the last few weeks. Fueled by a surge of emotions and with her resolve reinforced she let out a yell and put all her strength into a punch to the center rune. A crack resounded through the room followed by a release of energy from the Noxian magics; and then there was a silence. The formerly giant sword was reduced to only the hilt and a fraction of the former blade, still held tightly in Riven's hand. The other pieces of the once great sword lay as mere remnants upon the floor.

__________________________________________________ _________________
Okay, put this off too long, but that's moooostly only my fault for the last week. I'm not going to keep a solid schedule because it's just impossible, but this will continue to update when I can/when I'm not trying to make up for being bored out of my mind from life in general.

Ira Nibanabane

02-21-2013

Not really sure if anyone actually reads this or if I just get a lot of views for an intriguing title, but here's what I've been doing, though it's not really an update for the story...yet. It makes sense later when I actually get to that part...
I've been working on a character that I'm probably going to have make a brief appearance somewhere in this story, so as opposed to just having some random person make an appearance with absolutely no backstory, here's the character:

Ien'trae ~ Death's Alure

Skip to the second post for her background story, first is just general data for her as a champion concept.

Anyone who's actually interested in my work so far, cool. Thanks for reading.
If you're not, thanks for taking the time to read this anyway.

Magister Gir

02-21-2013

I think it's an eh story, so far so good mainly though the only thing I think is the war machines and how she viewed them. To me I think she knew that the war machines would be necessary in the battle, Noxus isn't only about true brute force, but you did hit dead on about how she felt when the war machines were leading the frontal assault instead of her own units. I think you got it half right half wrong when she was losing the battle, yes she would be admitting to losing and the stronger would survive but she would also be failing Noxus by dying that's just me though and how I view that confrontation also nice job on the second chapter about her breaking her ties with Noxus by breaking her sword but she still holds true to Noxus and plans to reform it to former glory where battles like the last one she had would not happen again and that Noxus is the TRUE city state of Runeterra without any opposition.

other than that keep up the good work i give thumbs up with this Riven fanfic and wait to see where it goes.

edit: oh ye you might want to take out that insult in your last post because it's really not that good, if someone doesn't read your story don't call them names or rude things it's just shows a bad author who, to me, is a complete a-hole. I'm not going to say you are one but that's how you come off with that last post of yours also I go through some stories and not read them because I want to know what they're about and what people say about them and if I saw that I wouldn't even bother reading it I would just downvote and move on

Ira Nibanabane

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister Gir View Post
I think it's an eh story, so far so good mainly though the only thing I think is the war machines and how she viewed them. To me I think she knew that the war machines would be necessary in the battle, Noxus isn't only about true brute force, but you did hit dead on about how she felt when the war machines were leading the frontal assault instead of her own units. I think you got it half right half wrong when she was losing the battle, yes she would be admitting to losing and the stronger would survive but she would also be failing Noxus by dying that's just me though and how I view that confrontation also nice job on the second chapter about her breaking her ties with Noxus by breaking her sword but she still holds true to Noxus and plans to reform it to former glory where battles like the last one she had would not happen again and that Noxus is the TRUE city state of Runeterra without any opposition.

other than that keep up the good work i give thumbs up with this Riven fanfic and wait to see where it goes.

edit: oh ye you might want to take out that insult in your last post because it's really not that good, if someone doesn't read your story don't call them names or rude things it's just shows a bad author who, to me, is a complete a-hole. I'm not going to say you are one but that's how you come off with that last post of yours also I go through some stories and not read them because I want to know what they're about and what people say about them and if I saw that I wouldn't even bother reading it I would just downvote and move on
I appreciate the feedback, especially since it's thought out.

I'm not going for a crazy action packed story, this is really just meant to be a sort of history into how she developed to what she became for the League. The goal here is to take more of a .hack//SIGN approach in that the story and character thoughts are the drive over something like Dragon BallZ where the fighting was the draw and the story was a secondary item.

Also, I see what you mean about the end part of my post, and I'll take your advice and take that out. It was meant to be sort of a joke, but now that I look back on it, you're right, it makes me out pretty much of an a-hole.

edit/addition:
For my personal view, I'd have to disagree on the warmachines, especially against a people like those of Ionia. For a country focused on their strength, whether it be through magic, tactics, raw power or even deception, Ionia would have been one of the best places to show that they reign in the power of their soldiers.

Magister Gir

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira Nibanabane View Post
I appreciate the feedback, especially since it's thought out.

I'm not going for a crazy action packed story, this is really just meant to be a sort of history into how she developed to what she became for the League. The goal here is to take more of a .hack//SIGN approach in that the story and character thoughts are the drive over something like Dragon BallZ where the fighting was the draw and the story was a secondary item.

Also, I see what you mean about the end part of my post, and I'll take your advice and take that out. It was meant to be sort of a joke, but now that I look back on it, you're right, it makes me out pretty much of an a-hole.
thanks for hearing me out and don't worry about the last post I know it was meant to be a joke but some people don't take jokes too light heartedly honestly and get butt hurt. Also I love a good story over fight scenes though you did a good job on your fight scene, I liked it :3