Who counters AP Yi the hardest?

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shiny Eevee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Who counters AP Yi? Maybe not the hardest, but a fantastic pick against him would be Malzahar.

Tipttt

11-30-2012

I don't think you really need a certain champ to counter ap yi as most of those you'll see will be people in awe of Ich and will go ap yi even though they have no idea how to do it.

Shehryar

11-30-2012

Mordekaiser, Malzahar.
Morde can just keep pushing the lane and ignore harass with shield
Malz can also push his lane and his silence/ult lock yi down in fights

It's not as easy for yi to farm under tower with the delay on alpha strike and the fact that it only hits 4 targets

KunioKun

11-30-2012

Against ap yi is good any one with stun cast interupt or silience also high magic ress pwn him in no time.

Shuddy

11-30-2012

As someone who has been playing AP Yi for ...is it 3 years now? Damn, time goes fast. I'm happy to hand out the counters, primarily so that the incoming deluge of AP Yi doesn't cause his ratios to be messed with.

He's very hard to counter as such, but the strength of his early laning is his ability to poke his opponents low, and then, even if they are b'ing under their tower, pop his ult + ghost, alpha, ignite, and then gtfo. If this happens once, his opponent is usually too scared to get near the minions for fear of that poke. Sustain messes with this tactic in a big way. It wont always stop him farming, but allows you to stay in the lane, knowing that you can handle getting alpha'd every minute or so if you step out of line. I once had a Lux come back to lane with two philo stones. Seems kind of stupid, but that sustain really allowed her to hang in there with me.

Another thing is the psych of AP Yi. The burst is kind of the scary part. and once someone gets poked, their immediate instinct is to back off when they realise how much health they just lost. Until Yi gets his Lich Bane, that one alpha is all that is going to happen. Instead backing off in fear, you need to unload on him after that alpha, and keep pushing,m because its not coming back up for 10 seconds or so.

Which leads to CC. He can of course meditate through burst, so if you don't have any kind of CC, well, you can't do much. Do realise though that meditate is on a very long CD. If he meds once, you have a good 30 seconds to control the lane before he can farm without fear. CC is the real answer to this. If a team has no strong CC, I'll pretty much go and do what I want, because my ult and meditate is getting me out of everything. Don't use Karthus, Kat, etc.

To be honest though, with the amount of CC that has been hitting in the last year or so, I've learned to deal with it. Beef is actually the thing that will put me off AP Yi more than anything else. Ryze can't stop me meditating, but he gets so tanky that it's hard to poke him low, and start chaining kills. I have a ranked 3s team, and I play AP. As soon as I see two very tanky champs, which is most of the time, then I switch to Sydra, etc. AP Yi either needs to be able to hit squishies, or he needs a team that will aoe and cc the enemy low so that he can jump in and chain alpha.

With all of that, you can see why Alex wrecked in that game. The opposition had very little ability to CC that meditate, and M5 had the perfect setup for Yi to go ape****.

Hope that helps.

Kikai

11-30-2012

Swain wait for the alpha strike and nevermove his landing zone drive him out of lane while keeping yours with mana sustain and ult. Get the meditate on cd and just farm.

DeusVult

11-30-2012

CHo'Gath

NipZx

11-30-2012

depends on team comp and queu situation

someone with stun would be best in premade to coordinate ganks and get mid/jungle kills/assists

sustain/pushing power probs best for solo queuing

CowInSpace13

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty103033 View Post
Diana is pretty decent in my experience. Just gotta save your e for his heal
A good Yi isn't going to use heal in your face unless he has to. A good Yi is going to back off and heal under the tower or around the corner so that he can get the full thing and stay in lane forever

Molester

11-30-2012

Diana sounds ideal

1234567 ... 10