Directionality of Nidalee's Cougar form abilities

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

anAmishLady

11-29-2012

So I picked up Nidalee a little while ago and have been having a great time with her. I love how much utility and mobility she offers while still being able to deal so much damage, even when playing as a support. I've pulled off the support-gone-ap-hyper-carry game a few times already.

I have a question about her cougar form abilities. What is the logic behind having her W and E -- Pounce and Swipe -- activate in the direction she is facing as opposed to that of the mouse cursor? I often find myself devising time-consuming maneuvers to orient myself properly to walls, missing minions with my Swipe, or in other awkward situations like those. She is supposed to be one of the most mobile champions in the game, but her game mechanics seem clumsy -- walls which she runs parallel to should not be so problematic. She just isn't very smooth or nimble, and I have had some trouble wielding her.

My best guess is that these mechanics are designed to make Nidalee very quick to maneuver by minimizing clicking and aiming. I understand removing the clicks -- I think the abilities work really well with single button push activation -- I just don't get why we can't aim her Pounce with our cursors, similarly to how Karthus and Cassiopeia aim their Qs.

Also, I love her jungle speed in cougar form, but I find myself Pouncing into monster camps and missing half of them with my Swipe. Perhaps I just haven't gotten the hang of that one yet, but it's aiming feels a little wonky to me.

If someone who has mained Nid for a while could explain why her current mechanics make sense and how I can best utilize them, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :3

And if we find that the current setup is no longer optimal for her gameplay, perhaps we could petition Riot to revise them in the upcoming visual rework.

LyrGamer

11-30-2012

i agree. nidalee has clumsy mechanic. the wall jumps are really hard to do :P

my only guess as to why riot would make her so clumsy is because she would be played very effectively by mostly everyone. maybe they wanted to make her skill curve very high so people won't complain about her stomping pub matches.

AskKarthus

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrGamer View Post
i agree. nidalee has clumsy mechanic. the wall jumps are really hard to do :P

my only guess as to why riot would make her so clumsy is because she would be played very effectively by mostly everyone. maybe they wanted to make her skill curve very high so people won't complain about her stomping pub matches.

If that was true, then Riot would have an unfun champ, almost on purpose. It would be a QOL improvement, like when they fixed Rumble's flamespitter and teemo's poison a while back. The QOL improvements didn't do mush to enhance teemo's viability. I would say the same for rumble, but it caused his flamespitter to do way more damage than intended. The fixed that quickly though. I don't think that adjusting Nidalee's pounce would do much to enhance her viability because most high-skill nid players can already aim it well. It would just make her easier to play.

Sagee Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

I doubt it will happen in this lifetime. Allot of double standards in the league tbh.

I'd prefer that her Pounce and Swipe worked like Riven broken wings in that when she uses it normally it will just go straight ahead but if you highlight an enemy she will go in that direction instead and go directly to the target instead of past them(not having 3 parts durr). Finally I'd like her to ignore unit collisions.

This fixes allot of problems with her controls and actually takes out most of those random instances where Nidalee controls are completely playing against you. I can't count how many times I have had everything perfectly executed and then last second Nidalee leaps back in to the oh so loving arms of her enemies.

Prepare to hear omg that would be so OP blah blah blah from allot of people who just hate Nidalee and don't play her.

neocow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Pounce, attack, Swipe, attack (attac resets with..) Q