We live in uneasy times, Summoners.

1234511 ... 24
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HerbaNoctis

11-29-2012

Summoners, there is an issue that must be addressed. I often see it hinted at or whispered about, but never fully brought out into the light of day. People don't want to talk about it for fear that they might be right. I speak, of course, of the lack of transparency between the higher-ups and us, the every-day Summoners who are their lifeblood. Without us, they could not exist. Yet we are treated like scum and we are at their mercy. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors? Who knows how decisions are made? They pretend to let us have input but do we really matter to them? What is happening all around us, Summoners, is something bigger than we can all imagine. It is something bigger than the League of Legends. It is a matter of life and death for the world itself. The League of Legends is not what it seems to be. Let me show you, Summoners, what evils lurk inside the halls of the Institute of War.

The first pieces of this story begin with one of the first Champions admitted to the League. Ryze, the Rogue Mage, is a master of arcane magics, thorn magic in particular. He was taught thorn magic by Lilith, a beautiful witch, who he stole the enormous scroll on his back from as well. But recent pictures of Ryze's spellbook suggest a rather horrifying history is hidden in his spellbook. A close look at the front of the spellbook reveals an image that can only be a stylized version of the Shadow Isles. However, that is not the worst thing on these covers. On the back cover we can see something that, if flipped a quarter turn clockwise, looks remarkably like a stylized version of an image we all know well, the map of Valoran. However, there are several seeming inconsistencies. To start, halfway up the Western coast, we can see the two islands that lurk off the shores near Noxus. However, they are inside a crescent, one that does not exist today. However, there is a simple explanation which makes the meaning of the book all the more grave. If you look again at the map of Valoran, the sea is not all one shade of blue. Along the coasts, there is a brown tint, which indicates shallower waters. Right at those two islands, there is an unaccountable bulge in the undersea shelf, which perfectly matches where the crescent would be. That explains most of the inconsistencies in the outline of Valoran itself. But what could cause such a monumental change in the landscape? Only a Rune War, which makes the earliest this book could have been made more than 200 years ago. Yet, as we move to the dominating feature of this map, the massive triangle, we reveal a disturbing reality. That circle in the middle of the triangle corresponds to the exact location of the Institute of War. The Institute of War only dates back approximately 20 years. So how does a map of Valoran that is centuries old have the location of the Institute of War? The location of the Institute is obviously not an accident. Something, before the Rune Wars, knew that the Rune Wars would happen and that an entity would have to be created to stop them and save Runeterra from self-destruct.

So now you may be asking why we care about a benign agent who saved our world from disaster. Well, consider the fact that they had at least 180 years to stop the conflict and did nothing. They allowed the Rune Wars to happen and the very foundations of Runeterra to be shaken and then had an organization created to step in and take power. And they did not just plan the organization's existence, they specifically ordained the location as well. So what is so special about this location? Well, it appears to be a location where the boundaries between the dimensions are weak. That is why monsters such as Nocturne could prey on our Summoners' minds, that is why creatures of the Void and those touched by Icathia are drawn here. The League of Legends exists partially as an inhibitor against inter-dimensional voyagers, as we can see from this issue of the Journal of Justice, a beloved institution ruined by corruption at the highest level. But wait, it's Karthus talking about the inhibitor. Not even a summoner, much less anyone high up enough to know about the hidden purposes of the League of Legends. Guess where Karthus owes his loyalty to again? The Shadow Isles. So, we've come full circle. We may have gone from the back to the front, but now that we know what we are reading, we can examine the facts as they truly are, not clouded by lies and misinformation.

The true purpose of the League of Legends is not to help mediate problems between city-states. Oh, no. There are several purposes, which reveal how masterfully crafted this plan is. First, it exists as an inhibitor to stop the passage of extra-dimensional beings. Why this is will be revealed shortly. Secondly, it exists to maintain the general balance of Valoran until a certain catalyst comes in to play. Thirdly, it exists to gather the most powerful people in all of Runeterra and control their minds. The reasons behind this would be obscure if not for Karthus. Karthus is a Champion of the Shadow Isles, an increasingly influential region. Problem is, no one knows what they want. Why are their champions here in the League? Why should these abhorrent soldiers of the dead be allowed in the League of Legends? Well, frankly, because the League of Legends is controlled by agents of the Ruined King of the Shadow Isles. The King is a mysterious figure who appears to have been responsible for the curse of the Shadow Isles. He disappeared long ago, and his disappearance coincides with when the curse started. The Ruined King was, in reality, an exceptionally powerful mage who controlled the Shadow Isles in the ages of the first Rune Wars, centuries before the Great Rune Wars that so rocked Valoran. He appears to have conquered some or all of Valoran with his mighty magics and armies, and from this we get the name of the Conqueror's Sea to the west of Valoran. However, something went wrong. Either he attempted a spell that was too powerful, like Xerath, or something was sabatoged. And so he disappeared and his land was cursed by the spell. Where he went, none knows. Did he die? Did he enter into some sort of stasis? Was he spirited away by his demonic associates? It is hard to discern. It seems most likely that his physical body was destroyed but his spirit remains, haunting some terrible void. But before he died, he established his base at the current location of the Institute of War. The disastrous spell seems to be what created this window between dimensions. His minions remained loyal to him, however. Mordekaiser has waited those long years, working to bring back his master. He knows it can be done. Evelynn and Elise have waited in the shadows ere the long centuries as well. But now, they must move. They know the time is approaching, but they and their hidden accomplices created the League of Legends to sap some of the energy off so that nothing unwanted could break through. Nocturne managed to, but he has been dealt with. The League of Legends will soon become a portal to summon a demonic spirit back from a place that mortals call death, but they do not truly know the meaning of death. Who will this demonic spirit possess now that his earthly shell has been destroyed? Who else but Ryze? He who has learned all the lost, forbidden, and forgotten magics and who carries around the very materials to summon the King back from death. The massive scroll is an artifact of the Ruined King, containing the spell to harness eternal life and power in return for your soul. The book that Ryze carries is full of his Thorn Magic and much much else. Karthus's Requiem is only a fraction of the power of the full Requiem, which is only one of many methods of arcane destruction in Ryze's tome, and this is because the spellbook is actually the same one that the King used centuries ago, passed down through the centuries by mages, somehow always managing to be united with the scroll. The only reason why Karthus can't kill everyone on the map with his Requiem is because it is not complete. Ryze knows the Requiem, for he has become a being of pure magic, learning from the teachings of the greatest mage in history. However, Ryze fears the incredible destruction of a spell that harks back to the Rune Wars and so he dares not use it. The King will have no such compunctions. Every day, his minions work to bring about his return. And we are doing this work unknowingly.

Summoners, we must act. Reginald Ashram did not simply disappear. He fought the rise of the King, and he was done away with. The supposed ring of corruption and treachery including the last High Councillor, Heywan Relivash, was not anything of the type. It was actually a group of individuals rebelling against the work towards the return of the King, and was attempting to sabotage the League for the good of Valoran. They knew that when the King comes, the world as we know it will cease to exist. A reign of darkness and terror will fall upon our entire world. The horrors of the Rune Wars will be insignificant to the absolute destruction that the King will wreck upon us all. We must stop the King, for if we do not, our souls will not be free long enough to regret it. The truth must out. The world needs to know of the immense danger it is in. We must rise up and fight for all the world. We can no longer think of ourselves as Demacians, or Noxians, or Ionians, or even Freljordians. We are all Runeterrans now. What say you, Summoners?

tl;dr: Institute of War is a sham, everything for the past 2 centuries or so has been manufactured by a cabal of shadowy individuals associated with the Shadow Isles. League of Legends actually exists to bring about the return of the Ruined King, who is then going to possess Ryze and take over the entire world.

If you read it and you like it, can you do me a favor and give me a bump? I don't like asking for bumps, but I like self-bumping the thread even less and don't like leaving the thread to rot for 2 weeks at ALL.

Also I have some spare tinfoil hats if anyone else wants some.

A minor point about Ryze and his understanding of what is actually inside the book and scroll: he knows generally what the scroll does, but is afraid of how much he would be tempted by the promises of eternal power if he read the whole thing. He can only read certain parts of his spellbook so he doesn't know whose it is and what all it does. He's completely oblivious to the plots around him, though. The agents of the Shadow Isles basically let him hold on to the book and scroll until they need them, they know Ryze will do as good a job protecting them as anyone else will. When endgame arrives and they need to do the summoning, they'll just bring Ryze plus the book and the scroll.

E: 1:06 AM EST, 12/1/12, minor comprehension edits in main text, ryze edit.

E: some time between 3:00 PM and 6:30 PM, 12/1/12, +100! Awesome, you guys! I honestly didn't expect something this length about the lore to get too much attention.

E: 12/12/12, 10:50 PM EST. another thread about this (kinda) here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2885856
also approaching +200!

E: 12/13/12, 9 AM EST. +200 sometime during the night! You guys rock!

E: I love Qaera. http://i.imgur.com/EhsaM.jpg is his/her/its rendition of me.

E: awwwwww yeah. I just found this tidbit in a thread:
Brand: “Your League of Legends is not what you think it is and your summoners are not heroes. Beware"
Sounds an awful lot like this theory, don't it?

E: Here are some fairly informative posts (arguably):

Ryze's book plus the general point of this thread:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpearz View Post
This is all an extreme stretch. To say that the designs on ryze's book resembles valoran is like saying a plate looks like a flying saucer because they're both round. Also, ryze's book isn't the powerful artifact, the scroll is. The rest is pretty much just baseless.
Actually if you look at it, it quite resembles it. You can see the bay dividing Piltover and Zaun, you can see several still extant features, and the general shape is, indeed, the same. However, you seem to think that this is completely serious. I'm interpreting this how I see it and then running with those interpretations, occasionally abandoning any use of proper logic. It would be very possible to say that all these things are complete coincidences but I actually believe that Runaan, Kitae, and the rest haven't written all these things in for nothing. This seems like a fairly elaborate false trail to set especially when they've been doing a lot for Shadow Isles development lately and have confirmed that we'll be getting more development on the story of the King. Probably some will come with the redo of Evelynn's lore.
Also you seem to be missing the point of this. This isn't to try and convince people about how this exact thing is going to happen. Even if you take some or most of my initial conclusions as true, there isn't really one set outcome. What I'm doing is showing what the lore is. I'm showing people the crazy **** that might be going down soon. A lot of people seem to have lost interest in the lore. I think that's because people haven't seen the super cool things the lore could bring about. Most people don't pay attention to the lore and even if they do they don't piece things together and try to see what could be. They're content to just wait for the next bit of lore and for Riot to explain what it all means. What needs to happen is something needs to bring people back to seeing the awesome stuff that the lore can do and be, and frankly I don't believe that it should come initially from Riot because it reinforces the notions about lore only coming from Riot.
And about the book vs. the scroll, that's just what Ryze thinks, isn't it? To be fair, they're both incredibly powerful. The scroll is just one immensely powerful spell but the book contains dozens, even hundreds of very very powerful spells like the Requiem.
Why I really do have faith in the Lore team and don't think they're letting us down:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicTrashcan View Post
Better Lore than Riot's written anytime recently...
Thing is, it's not! Because it more or less is what they've given us over the last couple months. I just take what we have, and I go with it. I began this all with the Ryze/Kat/Trynd statues because I noticed the Shadow Isles on there. Then I noticed Valoran. And it just took off from there. Other people gave me bits and pieces, and it all just formed one big picture. All I had to do was fill in some of the pieces of the puzzle. Everything is out there, it's just surrounded by useless stuff. Unless you've read most of the lore sources (champion lores, judgements, JoJ's, and tidbits in the Shadow Isles map) you'd have to get lucky to piece something big together. That's where I think the disconnect is. There's too much filler lore, like what in hell made Zed yell out when he was killing his master? Was Zed slain by his master who had organized it all in a gambit to gain power while not losing face? Is now!Zed (and his master by extension) actually just LeBlanc trying to take down Ionia from the inside out? Does Yorick actually matter at all? But the thing is, it's hard to give teasers in the lore that point to something big if you're building towards some epic reveal and not be either super vague or super obvious. But here's the thing. They are building towards this sort of huge culmination to do with the Shadow Isles. I don't know if it's exactly like I'm describing but they aren't just going to do nothing with this lore. You can be sure of that. I think once they do the reveal and whatever comes with that (another Ionia vs. Noxus showmatch?), we'll see a rise of interest in the lore. Especially since the new mode of lore transmission should probably be implemented either before then, specifically for the event and kept on afterwards, or directly afterwards. I've got a lot of faith in Kitae and the rest of the Lore department.
Supremacy:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasako View Post
guess this explains codename supremacy or whatever the hell that new league mode is supposed to be
Ah! Yes, I was waiting for this to come up.
Yes, I think this is more or less what Supremacy has been about. It's not some new game mode, it's just a sort of lore development that will coincide with the release of at least one champion. I think we also might get a show match like Noxus vs. Ionia. There is a minor chance that they will introduce some sort of extra event in game involving this. Whether pitting the invaders (shadow isles and void) against the rest or some sort of meta-competition between different faction, I can't say. I don't think this will be a new map though.
Mordekaiser:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulstab View Post
Logging in purely to upvote.

Lovely theories here. Keep it up!

One query though, could Mordekaiser either be the Ruined King or perhaps some sort of smaller-scale form of him?
I mean, the quote about him in TT when you play Hecarim, his pretty sketchy backstory, and never really seeing what is behind the armour make him questionable already.
Plus, kaiser roughly translates to emperor from german, which could be interpreted as king?
I don't think he is the ruined king, but I certainly think he played a large part in the story of the king and we'll be seeing more development of his character. I don't think he's entirely trustworthy either. Mordekaiser more or less means the king of death (from mors/mortis and kaiser) but I just have this feeling that it's misleading.
Or, hold on...
Morde isn't the faithful servant he claims to be. He's doing a deception-ception, and is going to try and hijack the summoning for himself. That's why the altar tells Hecarim not to trust him. Damn, that actually makes a ton of sense to me now. You really can't find good trustworthy minions these days. I'd actually been slightly troubled by that earlier, but now it fits.
Thresh:
Nothing to see in his lore. All it does is reinforce the idea that all the soul-collecting and other preparations are at the behest of some greater force. Here's hoping that he gets some decent Altar lines because otherwise this adds absolutely nothing to what we have already. Pounding the proverbial nail into the not-so-proverbial coffin, as it were.

Zerglinator

11-29-2012

MY EYES

WHY WOULD YOU DO THlS

HerbaNoctis

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
MY EYES

WHY WOULD YOU DO THlS
Read it and weep.

No, really. You should be crying by the end of this.

InertBlowfish

11-29-2012

Mother of God...

SO MUCH ****ING WRITING

HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!

Zerglinator

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbaNoctis View Post
Read it and weep.

No, really. You should be crying by the end of this.
I am weeping

If bleeding from my eyes counts as weeping

UncleBobbyBee

11-29-2012

+1

HerbaNoctis

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertBlowfish View Post
Mother of God...

SO MUCH ****ING WRITING

HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!
Only 1,600 words or so.
I could write a tl;dr but it would be another 400 or so.

E: actually, here you go.

tl;dr: Institute of War is a sham, everything for the past 2 centuries or so has been manufactured by a cabal of shadowy individuals associated with the Shadow Isles. League of Legends actually exists to bring about the return of the Ruined King, who is then going to possess Ryze and take over the entire world.

Calling Clouds

11-29-2012

This be one-a 'dem fancy lores I been hearin' about.

InertBlowfish

11-29-2012

ITT: Nothing to do with Chinese Overlords.

Downvote and move on people.

Nothing to see here..

HerbaNoctis

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
I am weeping

If bleeding from my eyes counts as weeping
k.

1234511 ... 24