Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Scout mastery misunderstands how wards are used

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Void2258

11-29-2012

Only in extremely rare cases are you throwing them out to get instant vision (baron fights are the only time I can think of). Wards are used for persistent visual coverage of choke points and gank paths, not for instantaneous and transient vision. The current form of the scout mastery is horrible and will be used eve less than the S2 version.

Ideas for a useful mastery (may need to move deeper into tree for balance, but better than being worthless):

1. Increase the range at which wards can be placed. This allows you to ward more safely and covers the case the current iteration does too by letting you throw it into bushes from farther away or over larger walls effectively increasing the vision range at the time of placement. Also helpful for characters that can use them as ability targets like Kat and Lee, who may take the mastery for that reason.

2. Increase wards per slot. This allows you to carry more wards at once, meaning you have to go back less and/or can cover more area on your own.

3. Allow wards to see into bushes in range even if not in bushes. The added freedom in ward placement speaks for itself. Would obviously need to be much further down the tree (possibly even at the 21 level) to balance. Maybe have a special icon to show the extra vision. (I realize this one is the most OP and least likely suggestion here)

4. Increase ward duration slightly. Even 3.5s might be worth it. Means you do not need to ward so often.

5. Increase the number of wards you can place at once from a sightstone variant. Effectively increases the number of wards you can use at once. Not sure we want such a specific item interaction on the mastery tree, though.

Jaigar

11-29-2012

huh? I like scout, gives me a 3 second window to clear out wards if I did drop a vision ward for those barely out of its vision.

You may not see how it affects play now, but if oracles do fall out, teams may start to get creative exactly where they drop their wards.

The 4th Triumvir

11-29-2012

How about we get an extra five gold from clearing wards? Or how about wards last 10% longer? I believe that both of these would alternatives would be fairly useful.

IonDragonX

11-29-2012

How about simply combining Scout with Explorer.

Fox P McCloud

11-29-2012

Quote:
Jaigar:
huh? I like scout, gives me a 3 second window to clear out wards if I did drop a vision ward for those barely out of its vision.

You may not see how it affects play now, but if oracles do fall out, teams may start to get creative exactly where they drop their wards.

And unless you're the carry, you'll never be able to take out that ward with the extra vision range if you're the one who placed it (barring two people being there).

Why? that extra vision range spotting it means you're probably going to have to move to the ward location....so...we'll say 0.25-0.5 seconds to do this.....now, in order to get 3 auto-attacks in you're going to have to have 1.09-1.2 attack per second in order to clear it before that additional vision range fades.

Izisery

Recruiter

11-29-2012

How about granting vision for a few seconds on enemys who kill the ward. That way you have to think twice about how much it's worth to destroy a ward that an enemy just put down.

Steelflame

11-29-2012

Actually, currently, scout's bonus last FIVE seconds. This is more than enough for someone to clear a ward in it's duration.