Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Thailand Black Bean at IPL5

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gooner1990

11-28-2012

Hi guys, I just want to talk a little bit about Black Bean, the representative from Thailand and Southeast Asia at the IPL5, coming tomorrow.

I want to talk about them because, first of all, I'm Thai. Most importantly though, their captain/co-founder/AP-MID, Xllyra, is a very good friend of mine. We first met in highschool, in 2004, when we were 14 years old. In fact, he was my first friend when I moved to the highschool. It was first day of school, Math class, I didn't know anyone, but the guys sharing the same table as me were talking about Counter-strike. That was my que to join into the conversation. His group invited me to join them for lunch that day, which was wonderful because it's not easy for new kids on the first day, so I had instant friends.

We've been good friends ever since. Our group of friends gamed together all throughout highschool. Mostly it was counter-strike and the occasional Team Fortress and Command & Conquer. However, it was when he introduced me to DotA that we began playing together a lot. We had a team called [CARD] and he was [CARD]King and I was [CARD]Joker. We were pretty decent as far as amateur goes.

We didn't get to play together much after highschool because I moved to Canada, which is why I'm playing on the NA server. A couple of years ago, he introduced me to this game. We haven't had a lot of chance to play together because of the time difference. He was always complaining about the ping though, which is understandable.

The opportunity came for me to help him out. My half-brother owns a gaming company in Thailand. Garena, exclusive distributor of LOL in southeast Asia was looking to break into the Thai market, so they contact him about the possibility of a partnership. My half-brother asked me to help him because I speak fluent enough English, I'm a gamer, and I'm family (so I was paid way below market rate.)

I went with him, and his two lawyers, to Singapore for the negotiation. Within that one weekend, an MOU was signed by the two parties, and I began translating games into Thai right away. The first game imported into Thailand was Heroes of Newerth because DotA was very big in Thailand, and they thought it'd be a smoother transition. I've worked closely with my half-brother, and since then, there has been a Thai LOL launch (Muay-Thai Leesin celebrated the launch a while ago.)

The Thai server has allowed my friend to play with decent ping. He's the highest ranking player in Thailand right now, I believe. We still talk together all the time about the game. I've told him to get an ID for Taiwan server though, because I think his team will get much better practice there.

I have no idea how good his team is compared to the rest of the world. I have high hopes as ever. Not just because I'm Thai, but because he's my friend, and this kind of makes it personal.

My half brother told me that the Thai HoN team was in a group of death in the recent HoN tournament and made it out. Black Bean is in the group of death in IPL5, with M5, TPA, and Curse.NA as their group competitors.

I'm not saying don't be surprised if they do well. Hell, I'd be surprised. I have no idea how good they really are. I just want to express how proud I am Thailand is represented, and how happy I am that it'll be my friend who'll be representing us. The guys have worked very hard to get there. My friend is actually still in university, and he's a straight A student. LOL is not yet that big in Thailand, so if they do well, I'm sure it'll help increase the game's name in my country. When you watch the games of this group, if you're not a fan of Curse.NA, M5, or TPA, cheer for my friend. If you're in Vegas, please go and talk to him and support him. They're not well known yet in NA, and I'm sure they'll appreciate the support very much.

Breakstar

11-29-2012

That's really cool to hear, man. I hope they do well - the better the competition, the better for everyone!

Black Bean hwaiting!

Gooner1990

11-29-2012

First game can't get anymore difficult!

They took a picture with TPA. The guy to the left (our left looking at the picture) of the girl is my friend, the AP Mid. The girl is his girlfriend (they've been together for like half a decade now.) If you have a chance, please go and give them a word of support!

swan2swan

11-29-2012

It would be nice if IPL would let me watch it.

Lightwave248

11-29-2012

Yea I wish I could watch black bean vs TPA instead of m5 vs curse. Seems like a much more interesting match, and moreso for me because I am Thai.

ArcNight

11-29-2012

TPA crushed BB ezreal penta then quadra

Gooner1990

11-29-2012

BB totally got outclassed. Their inexperience, particularly in tournament and against international teams really showed. TPA was a class above.

M5 remains massive favourite against them as well. Their next match against Curse is probably their best hope of a win. I'm quite hopeful for that game

Gooner1990

11-29-2012

I don't think BB game was shown. According to the bracket, they lost to Curse I don't know how they did though.

If anyone is in Vegas, go and give them a word of support please. I'm sure they'll greatly appreciate it!

Gooner1990

11-29-2012

Well, as many expected, my friend's team got totally stomped. First by TPA, unsurprisingly, then by Curse.NA, although I was hoping they might be able to maybe beat Curse. Due to tournament structure, they didn't get to play M5, although it would have been a no contest anyway. They're probably one of the two worst teams at the tournament along with Iceland. None of their games were covered on the main stage, and I had to follow them through GarenaThailand channel.

They go into the loser bracket, but tomorrow is probably going to be their last day since they get Azubu Frost

The LOL scene in Thailand has a lot to catch up our HoN. Not surprising. We had a great DotA scene where our teams played in World Championships and what not, so transitioning to HoN was easy. LOL has a much smaller audience in Thailand, and so our talent pool is probably too small. Still, I'm damn proud of my friend

MichaelofOrange

11-29-2012

It does suck to get blown out, but it is quite an accomplishment just to get to the tournament. Congratulations!